Price Chopper/Market 32

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

Marc: If you are ever in Newington, stop by the Price Chopper just for the heck of it and tell me what you think of the store overall. I don't think you would like it anyway. It's smaller and some of the employees won't give you the time of day or are just creepy. And for a three year old store (3 years old yesterday), it looks like it's been open for 6 or 7 years. It's dirty.

Marc82

Price Chopper is closing its Wolcott Street store in Waterbury, CT on June 9th due to poor sales. Waterbury was the second Price Chopper in the state.

http://rep-am.com/news/341825.txt

momof3

Wow, Never been to the store but Price chopper in Newington and Southington are always busy when I am there.

What is the store like?????

Marc82

Never been to the Waterbury Chopper, but when I worked at the Southington Store a couple of my co-workers and one or two supervisors worked in Waterbury and they say its smaller than the ones in Southington, Newington, etc.

AmesNewington

Are you serious?? A Price Chopper closing in CT? Wow, and Shaw's just closed in Waterbury. It must not be a good town for a grocery store. But of course, a Stop and Shop (the monopoly supermarket in CT) is across the street.  

Price Chopper in Southington is very nice. Big, spacious, with a good selection. I haven't been there in about a year, so I don't know what it's like now. However, I don't care for Newington as I mentioned many times. Don't get me wrong, the presentation of the store is beautiful, but it is rather too small (the old Ames which I miss), and the service is poor, not so much at the front end, but in the service areas. I said before that I didn't find their deli meats and regular meats to be fresh, and other people I have heard say the same thing. Also, I have heard Bristol is not so great either. The way these Price Choppers are being managed is poor. Many people I have overheard say they go to the Newington store just for the specials. And my mom won't go shopping there no more, so that pretty much is it for me. We prefer Shaw's in Newington anyway for weekly shopping and of course I like Food Mart in Berlin.

Nonetheless, I'm surprised about the Waterbury store. However, if other locations like Newington and Bristol continue with their practices, people will start noticing and they will be in trouble as well.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
Are you serious?? A Price Chopper closing in CT? Wow, and Shaw's just closed in Waterbury. It must not be a good town for a grocery store. But of course, a Stop and Shop (the monopoly supermarket in CT) is across the street.  

Price Chopper in Southington is very nice. Big, spacious, with a good selection. I haven't been there in about a year, so I don't know what it's like now. However, I don't care for Newington as I mentioned many times. Don't get me wrong, the presentation of the store is beautiful, but it is rather too small (the old Ames which I miss), and the service is poor, not so much at the front end, but in the service areas. I said before that I didn't find their deli meats and regular meats to be fresh, and other people I have heard say the same thing. Also, I have heard Bristol is not so great either. The way these Price Choppers are being managed is poor. Many people I have overheard say they go to the Newington store just for the specials. And my mom won't go shopping there no more, so that pretty much is it for me. We prefer Shaw's in Newington anyway for weekly shopping and of course I like Food Mart in Berlin.

Nonetheless, I'm surprised about the Waterbury store. However, if other locations like Newington and Bristol continue with their practices, people will start noticing and they will be in trouble as well.

Monopoly Market hahahahahaha :bouncing:
JN

momof3

I really like price Chopper in Southington too, its the first one I shopped at.  I really didn't like the one in Newington too much at first, I agree the employees were not very helpful or overly friendly like the Southington PC but have noticed that since Stews opened up they have gotten better.  I do like the southington one much more, the setup is better too.

jmann

I heard that Shop Rite will be moving into the Price Chopper
Building and that the Stop and Shop across the street will be closing. Nothing confirmed yet.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by jmann
I heard that Shop Rite will be moving into the Price Chopper
Building and that the Stop and Shop across the street will be closing. Nothing confirmed yet.

Why not just bulldoze the whole freaking city? I mean The Brass Mill Mall is half-dead too.

AmesNewington

WOW:

I just looked at the store locator on Stop and Shop's website, and they have three locations in Waterbury. No wonder! Isn't there an Aldi store in Waterbury, along with the ShopRite?

jmann

Yes, Aldi is on Chase Ave.  down from one of the Stop and Shops.

CTAmeshopper

How long was that Price Chopper open?, it seems it opened only a few years ago in the location where Toys R Us used to be, geez, stores closing after the areas been redeveloped? What the heck? Is this place jinxed or something?

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by CTAmeshopper
How long was that Price Chopper open?, it seems it opened only a few years ago in the location where Toys R Us used to be, geez, stores closing after the areas been redeveloped? What the heck? Is this place jinxed or something?

It opened in 2003. As the article said poor sales since the store opened.

momof3

Went to Newington PC yesterday and it reinforced my thinking of how much better i like the one in Southington.  The store was a bit messy, there was tv dinner ditched in the fish case where they have their frozen fish and in the freezer case there was veggies left there,  Kind of thought the employees might notice this.  The store was crowded thogh.

Marc82

MAJOR UPDATE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my Economic Stimulus check today. Anyway I went to the Southington Price Chopper where my bank is to cash my check. Bonnie the manager of the Citizen Bank was talking to a former Waterbury Price Chopper employee (he had also worked in Souhtington) and he was telling her that SHOPRITE will begin working in the Waterbury Price Chopper building at the end of this week, but Price Chopper probably won't be completely out of the store until around the 20th of June.

No word yet on wants gonna happen to the existing ShopRite store further up Wolcott Street or when the new Shoprite will open.

Question how much bigger will the new Shoprite be compared with the old one? Also with this replacement store being built on Wolcott Street in Waterbury, is the Tornaquindici Family not gonna build a store on Queen Street in Southington now, as was rumored?

standa

Wasn't the Waterbury Price Chopper once Shaw's? (and Edwards before that)

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by standa
Wasn't the Waterbury Price Chopper once Shaw's? (and Edwards before that)

Yes. Shaws was in the process of building its Brass Mill Mall store when they bought the Edwards in Waterbury (and Southington). They opened the store in Waterbury in November 96 to get a head start on the Waterbury Market and closed it down when the Brass Mill Mall Store was completed. The Shaws at The Brass Mill
Mall closed last August. Chopper closing makes the 3rd Waterbury  supermarket to close since the beginning of 2007. The other being C-TOWN which mysteriously burned down in March of that year. (There was a 4th that closed [a mom and pop], but that was quickly replaced by another mom and pop)

RogerAnthony

So, now that Price Chopper (along with Shaw's and C-Town) has closed what does Waterbury have left?

Super Stop & Shop (3 locations)
Shop Rite
Aldi
Compare Foods
Save-A-Lot
IGA Town Plot Supermarket

Did I miss any?

Joeg

Has any one heard any news about Price Chopper opening any new stores in Connecticut?? Our Shop-Rite in Manchester CT is remodeling(again second time in two years) and the current thinking is that Price Chopper is going across the street in the old K-Mart on Spencer Street.

Also, any one hear that Hannoford is coming to Connecticut?  Maybe Manchester, in the old Food Mart on Tolland Tpke??

silvfx66

I worked for PC back in the 1980's at various locations.  In EG there was a PC next to the KMart, it closed when the new larger store opened up 9&20. There was also another store a few miles away in Rensselaer near the train station, it was very small.  In Latham there was a PC on Rte 2 next to the KMart, it closed in the early 80's when the New Loudon SuperCenter opened.  I also helped open the Colonie Supercenter which is being replaced, at the time (1987) it was the latest and greatest store.  At the time many of the stores were not kept up well, it wasnt until Hannaford showed up that PC started to update and replace their stores.

Joeg

What's been the fall out from PC closing in Waterbury??

I went to the new Shop Rite that took it over, and the place was packed to almost capacity, and this was the second week it was open!!

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by Joeg
What's been the fall out from PC closing in Waterbury??!

Even though I haven't worked at PC Southington for 5 months I still have connections there. A lot of the Waterbury PC associates were transferred to the Southington store and everyone's hours got cut. Furthermore sales at the Southington Store have not increaseds, therefore the Waterbury customers must not be shopping at PC in Southington.

Joeg

Well, Southington is to far away for people to drive from Waterbury to shop at Price Chopper.  How the rumours are true that they will open in Durham CT.

Marc82

Durham is a dead deal. Too many restrictions including "no pharmacy" and not using "The Price Chopper Name'. Company pulled out.

Joeg

Marc

Have you heard any news about new PC's opening in CT??

I was hoping that they would open one in the EasHartford/Manchester area.

Joeg

Heard some news today about Price Chopper.  They willbe/are bulding a store in the Storrs CT area(near the Willimantic line) and are looking to open between 5 or 6 new locations in Connecticut over the next several years.

Joeg

Marc

I went to the Price Chopper in Windsor today and talk to the Head Cashier and she said that Durham CT is not a dead deal.  She said they are on track to opening a store in Durham CT.

Any thoughts?

Marc82

Just telling you what I heard being discussed on the Middletown radio station (WMRD-1150 AM Middletown/WLIS-1420 AM Old Saybrook).

Joeg

silvfx66

Read in the Albany Times Union that the Price Chopper in Saratoga Springs will be torn down and replaced with condos, a new store will be included in the first floor of the one building but will be only 15000SF and will be called Central Markets. Central Markets was the name of PC prior to 1973.  
http://blogs.timesunion.com/saratogaseen/?p=881