Shaw's and Star Market

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, April 20, 2005, 09:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
I just came back form picking up a few things at Shaw's in Southington and was told by 4 employees that the store is G.O.B. in 6-8 weeks. The employees said they're not supposed to tell the customers. This is horrible news to me as I was supposed to be getting my job back there this week.

I do not believe it. maybe it is  a rumor or maybe they are moving the store. the store did look small to me compared to most shaw's.

AmesNewington

That must be sad for you, Marc. That's probably why they never switched to the new logo on their exterior like the rest of the Shaw's stores. Some other Shaw's locations like Newington, New Britain, etc. should get another update like the East Hartford store looks. Most of the department signs are from when they opened. So are there shopping carts. They are a good store, they just need to increase the competition a bit by appearance standards.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
I do not believe it. maybe it is  a rumor or maybe they are moving the store. the store did look small to me compared to most shaw's.

It's official. Shaw's in Southington really is closing. I just talked to the union about it and they confirmed it. It's not being moved anywhere else.

powersbt

Sorry to hear that Boss. Any chance of going back to another Shaws instead??

It's official. Shaw's in Southington really is closing. I just talked to the union about it and they confirmed it. It's not being moved anywhere else.

AmesNewington

From what I understand, Southington now only has Price Chopper and Stop and Shop. That's weird.

Can you get any pictures of the store closing or after it closes? I never saw a Shaw's GOB before.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
From what I understand, Southington now only has Price Chopper and Stop and Shop. That's weird.

Can you get any pictures of the store closing or after it closes? I never saw a Shaw's GOB before.

Price Chopper and Stop & Shop on Route 10 (Queen Street and North Main Street respectively). There's also an IGA affiliated store in the Plantsville Section of town on the corner of Southend Road and Route 322. There are rumors that Big Y or Wild Oats will build a store on Route 229 (West Street) near the Exit 31 Off Ramp to I-84.

Once the GOB sales starts I will take some pictures, provided my digital camera works. I've been having problems with it lately. *GRR*

Marc82

Add New Britain and Bridgeport to the list of Connecticut Shaw's that are closing down. New Britain really surprises me.

d_fife

Add New Britain and Bridgeport to the list of Connecticut Shaw's that are closing down. New Britain really surprises me.

I FIND IT DUMB BECAUSE THE ONE IN NEW BRITAIN WAS MODERN LOOKING AND NEAR THE HIGHWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT IS WITH THE CT ONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marc82

I wish I knew man! I wish I knew! The New Britain Shaw's was built from scratch and has been open for 10 years. It was one of the first 5 that opened in Connecticut. Whenever I went by there they always seemed to be busy. My friend who lives in Plainville agrees with me. He too was disappointed that New Britain was closing as he was planning on transferring there after Southington Shuts down. He works 3rd shift Stocking in Southington.

XISMZERO

You're kidding me... Shaw's in New Britain is closing?! Who would've known... I almost remember when that one was built too. As for Southington, still a surprise, but that former Edwards has had a troubled history staying as one store.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

The Closing of the New Britain and Southington Stores rated a front page picture and headline in today's New Britain Herald. Their sister paper the Bristol Press ran the story inside.

http://www.newbritainherald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17142476&BRD=1641&PAG=461&dept_id=10109&rfi=6

The Bridgeport Closing was in today's Connecticut Post.

http://www.connpost.com/business/ci_4279220

Caldor1999

why are they clsoing locations ???
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Marc82

Southington has been performing poorly for years and it's only gotten worse since Price Chopper opened in 04. New Britain and Bridgeport I'm not sure. New Britain always seemed busy when I was near there.

AmesNewington

Is there a chance any more stores will close? This is not good, because I'm thinking of switching to shopping at Shaw's in Newington next week. As my luck goes, that one will go next. However, I stopped in there yesterday for a few items that Price Chopper doesn't carry, and the store was really packed at 12noon. So maybe this store won't close. I'm just shocked about New Britain closing. All that's around there is Stop and Shop and Big Y in Plainville, all in good distances of each other.

Marc82

I don't think Newington will close. SuperValu has been evaluating the performences of all the Shaw's stores over the past few months. Far be in from me to spread wild rumors, but two Southington employees told me Bristol may be next on the chopping block possibly by the end of 2006 beginning of 2007.

As I said to my friend yesterday "Close Bristol and you'll give Price Chopper yet another reason to gloat".

d_fife

I don't think Newington will close. SuperValu has been evaluating the performences of all the Shaw's stores over the past few months. Far be in from me to spread wild rumors, but two Southington employees told me Bristol may be next on the chopping block possibly by the end of 2006 beginning of 2007.

As I said to my friend yesterday "Close Bristol and you'll give Price Chopper yet another reason to gloat".

WHAT IS WITH SHAWS!!!!!!!!!!!!! The one in Bristol I thought was too close to the price chopper. the one in new britain should not. well bridgeport, never seen it, but heard bridgeport is a bad place. the one in vernon was in the center of town and away from the price chopper and stop and shop there. I saw that a shaw's in lawrence closed and it was a super shaw's, well that is a bad place.

Marc82

The one in Bristol I thought was too close to the price chopper.

Shaw's was there first. Scarritt's Home Improvement Store closed down in 1993ish and the site sat vacant for a while. Then they leased the property to Shaw's. They built a brand new building there.

Price Chopper had threatened to sue the city of Bristol if they were not allowed to build a store in the former Big Kmart (previously Caldor) location. The owner of that plaza said he was thrilled about Price Chopper opening.

Marc82

Glastonbury Shaw's is closing on October 28 too. They're not allowed to disclose this information to the media due to Legal reasons having to do with the lease of their building.

One of the managers in Southington came to this conclusion last night. He was looking into transferring to the new East Hampton store and discovered 22 people transferring to East Hampton are from Glastonbury.

One of the cashiers who has worked at the Southington Shaw's dating back to when they were still Edwards predicts that Shaw's will pull out of Connecticut all together within 5-10 years.

d_fife

Glastonbury Shaw's is closing on October 28 too. They're not allowed to disclose this information to the media due to Legal reasons having to do with the lease of their building.

One of the managers in Southington came to this conclusion last night. He was looking into transferring to the new East Hampton store and discovered 22 people transferring to East Hampton are from Glastonbury.

One of the cashiers who has worked at the Southington Shaw's dating back to when they were still Edwards predicts that Shaw's will pull out of Connecticut all together within 5-10 years.

which one!!! I SAw 2 in glastonbury!!! One of them was very small. but actually the bigger one was in east hartford.
how many more in CT

Marc82

My mom and I went shopping at the Southington Shaw's this afternoon. There was a sign on the entrance door "Sign a Petition to Keep This Store Open. See the Customer Service Desk for More Info". Well we go to sign the petition and we were told the manager ripped up the petition.

Marc82

The Shaw's on Grafton Street in Worcester, Massachusetts is among 7 stores Shaw's is closing on October 28. The Grafton Street Store which has been open only 26 months is their 3rd Worcester location. The other 2 closing in Massachusetts are in Mashpee and New Bedford. The other 4, which I mentioned in a previous post are in Southington, New Britain, Bridgeport, and Glastonbury, Connecticut.

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060914/NEWS/609140396

Several Southington Employees Tell me Round 2 of closings will be in February 2007.

d_fife

The Shaw's on Grafton Street in Worcester, Massachusetts is among 7 stores Shaw's is closing on October 28. The Grafton Street Store which has been open only 26 months is their 3rd Worcester location. The other 2 closing in Massachusetts are in Mashpee and New Bedford. The other 4, which I mentioned in a previous post are in Southington, New Britain, Bridgeport, and Glastonbury, Connecticut.

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060914/NEWS/609140396

Several Southington Employees Tell me Round 2 of closings will be in February 2007.

what is with shaw's closing stores. I mean I saw the one on grafton street and it looks new. there are 2 in new bedford and which one is closing?

Marc82

The Shaw's in New Bedford that is closing is the 2 year old store at 1331 Cove Road.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/09-06/09-01-06/07local.htm

Marc82

A Vendor on the OFF FREQUENCY BOARD on RADIOINSIGHT.COM says that the Grafton Street Shaws has cut its hours to 9AM-6PM Daily and that the Seafood, Deli, Meat, and Pharmacy Departments have been closed.

18 Days To Go! :(

Zayre88

South Portland Supermarket Re-Opens After Air Quality Problem:

See story :
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=42974

Marc82

Not much left at the Shaw's in Southington. Just 3 Days Left.  Saturday 10/28 6PM is the Final Day.The store is pretty bare.

If you want to check it out for yourself:

750 Queen Street Southington (I-84 West Exit 32 Take A Left) (I-84 East Exit 32 Take A Right)

Since I don't drive I wasn't able to make it to the New Britain Store also closing on 10/28.

1045 West Main Street New Britain (I-84 to Exit 33 to Route 72 Exit 2) Take a right onto New Britain avenue. It's up the road on the left a mile or so.

I enjoyed the 20 months (September 2004 until May 2006) I spent working at the Southington Shaw's. A great bunch of Guys and Gals Worked there. I miss them all and I wish them all luck.

XISMZERO

Almost sad to see it go... from the days it was Edwards to the days I got food after my shift at Walmart ended. Hopefully something good will come of it...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

There's alot of elderly people in that area of Southington that liked Shaws. They've been shopping there since it opened as Finast in 1981. Some probably even shopped when FoodMart used to be where Bernies is now. Foodmart closed in 1980 and moved to Caldor Village. That's why they hope the rumours about ShopRite moving in are true.

XISMZERO

I remember Finast succeeding as Edwards. I also remember when that cool "Consumer Electronics" store existed at the other end where Bernie's purchased the extra space where it once was.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

Dang Dude, you're three years younger than me. Yet you remember that store and I don't remember that store.  This despite the  fact that my family and I used to go to Southington several times a month for AMES and KMART and we had family in the Plantsville section of town.  What I remember is right after I moved to Southington in 2003, Bernies took over the empty store front next to their store on the end where there was a store called "WoodWorkers Warehouse."