Best Market

Started by AmesNewington, December 15, 2008, 04:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

I was reading a TPZ meeting on the Newington CT website and a store called the Best Yet Market was possibly interested in the Food Mart store in Newington. They apparently have to re-schedule a meeting with town officials. I'm not getting my hopes up but it sounded like a possibility. The existing Best Yet markets are located on Long Island. I'm surprised they are looking at Newington for a store, or in other words, Newington as their first CT store.

I'm waiting to see what happens.

All I know about the Best Yet name is their line of products that are sold in smaller grocery chains. I visited the website and they have good prices. It may as well be a good fit for the Greater Hartford area. Newington doesn't have a local independent supermarket like IGA, Geissler's etc. This would be a perfect alternative to Stop and Shop.

DerangedHermit

Best Yet is decent, but not spectacular. Their produce and deli prices are pretty good though.

Here are pics of the existing locations:

They don't really compete with the 4 major chains on Long Island that well (Stop & Shop, Pathmark, Waldbaum's and King Kullen; Shoprite has several locations on LI, but not enough to make a major presence), but they're a decent choice among the smaller supermarket chains on LI like IGA, C-Town, Bravo, Compare Foods and Giunta's Meat Farms.

momof3

That would be great to get something in that plaza, and i think a small store would do well there with all the senior housing nearby.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by momof3
That would be great to get something in that plaza, and i think a small store would do well there with all the senior housing nearby.

Yes, I heard that these Best Yet stores are spacious, but are the average size of a "back-in-the-day" Waldbaum's, which this store was back in the 70s and 80s. At this point, I'll take anything as long as the store is properly run and has quality products. Moreover, I want to see Northwood Plaza cleaned up.

I'd love to work there. They use NO store card, so you just get the sale items without having to give your card. Their prices seem competitive.

momof3

Those store cards can be a pain sometimes especially when you misplace them.
Lets keep our fingers crossed that we can get this store to call Newington their new home.  It would do wonders for the plaza, then maybe they could get someone to fill the old AC Petersons spot.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
I was reading a TPZ meeting on the Newington CT website and a store called the Best Yet Market was possibly interested in the Food Mart store in Newington. They apparently have to re-schedule a meeting with town officials. I'm not getting my hopes up but it sounded like a possibility. The existing Best Yet markets are located on Long Island. I'm surprised they are looking at Newington for a store, or in other words, Newington as their first CT store.

All I know about the Best Yet name is their line of products that are sold in smaller grocery chains. I visited the website and they have good prices. It may as well be a good fit for the Greater Hartford area. Newington doesn't have a local independent supermarket like IGA, Geissler's etc. This would be a perfect alternative to Stop and Shop.
In the Philadelphia area, the Best Yet brand name replaced the Montco and Shop N' Bag brand names in all of the Thriftway/Shop N' Bag stores before Fleming Company went belly-up.:huh:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington

In the Philadelphia area, the Best Yet brand name replaced the Montco and Shop N' Bag brand names in all of the Thriftway/Shop N' Bag stores before Fleming Company went belly-up.:huh:

Yes, the Best Yet name is used in the remaining Grand Union Family Markets and also I believe Highland Park Markets in CT.

DerangedHermit

By the way: the first Best Yet opened on LI was underneath a different name (Produce Warehouse) in Lake Ronkonkoma on Hawkins Avenue.

Unfortunately, I think they closed this store recently as it does not appear on the store's site or ads.

arnoldziffel

QuoteOriginally posted by DerangedHermit
By the way: the first Best Yet opened on LI was underneath a different name (Produce Warehouse) in Lake Ronkonkoma on Hawkins Avenue.

Unfortunately, I think they closed this store recently as it does not appear on the store's site or ads.

yeah, it's not a best yet anymore.   i have a pic of it somewhere with the new name.  possibly on my flickr page.  if i find it, i will post it here.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Does Best Yet Market have any stores at all in North Carolina or South Carolina?

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Believe it or not, my local Super Kmart Center carries Best Yet as their Store Brand as well as the Kmart Corporation Smart Sense Products that you find in the grocery and health/beauty departments in all of their Big Kmart Stores.

retailisking

Best Yet is one of the two C&S Wholesale Grocers house brands (the other is Piggly Wiggly.)
http://www.cswg.com/services/private-label-brands

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: retailisking on May 19, 2013, 12:32:32 AM
Best Yet is one of the two C&S Wholesale Grocers house brands (the other is Piggly Wiggly.)
http://www.cswg.com/services/private-label-brands
I clicked on the link. There was no information on whether or not they have any locations in North Carolina or South Carolina. Does anybody know if there are any Best Yet stores in North Carolina or South Carolina?

retailisking

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on May 19, 2013, 07:53:07 AM
I clicked on the link. There was no information on whether or not they have any locations in North Carolina or South Carolina. Does anybody know if there are any Best Yet stores in North Carolina or South Carolina?

Best Yet Market is a family-owned chain that operates in the NYC metro area and vicinity. Here is their site:
http://www.bestyetmarket.com/

I assume they use the Best Yet name under license from C&S, and I assume that C&S operates as their distributor, but that's the extent of their relationship as far as I know. Confusing, isn't it?

AmesNewington

Best Yet Market will be opening in Newington, CT later this year. It will be taking over the long vacant A&P Foodmart in the center of town on Lowrey Place. They bought the entire plaza at an auction back in March. They are going to also be responsible for fixing up the other storefronts and renting them out, and also rehabilitating the parking lot and landscape of the plaza. There is also still a pad site that was approved for People's Bank. They moved out of the plaza last year. Wondering if they will come back. On a side note, I think Best Yet Market is slowly changing its name to Best Market. They are advertising the Newington store as Best Market. It's a new green and orange logo.

RoleModel

Quote from: retailisking on May 19, 2013, 11:14:21 PM
Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on May 19, 2013, 07:53:07 AM

Best Yet Market is a family-owned chain that operates in the NYC metro area and vicinity. Here is their site:
http://www.bestyetmarket.com/

I assume they use the Best Yet name under license from C&S, and I assume that C&S operates as their distributor, but that's the extent of their relationship as far as I know. Confusing, isn't it?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's why most of their new stores haven't opened as Best Yet but rather as Best Market. The Best Market stores aren't too bad, they're quite a bit better than their older stores.

AmesNewington

The soon-to-be Best Market in Newington (the old A&P Food Mart) is already a hit because some erratic driver "hit" the building, and left a gaping hole.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/22674581/car-crashes-into-vacant-supermarket

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: AmesNewington on June 24, 2013, 06:41:02 PM
The soon-to-be Best Market in Newington (the old A&P Food Mart) is already a hit because some erratic driver "hit" the building, and left a gaping hole.

Is the store still going to be able to open on their planned, "Grand Opening Day?"

AmesNewington

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on June 24, 2013, 07:55:58 PM

Is the store still going to be able to open on their planned, "Grand Opening Day?"

They haven't planned an opening day yet.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: AmesNewington on June 24, 2013, 08:10:06 PM
Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on June 24, 2013, 07:55:58 PM

They haven't planned an opening day yet.
That's a positive. I'm sure that there would have been an awful lot of disappointed customers if there was one already planned or had it gotten postponed at the same time. At least they can still have the opportunity to have a, "Grand Opening Day" properly without disappointing the community.

Not quite sure where to post this, due to the fact that this is a local chain in my area of the state that I live in, but they recently experienced the exact same thing. Believe it or not, there is a family owned grocery store that operates in three counties of the state that I live in. They are called, "Acme Fresh Market" formerly called, "Click's" back in the 1980's and early 1990's. They are separate from the Acme Chain in the northeast part of the country. They recently had a senior citizen drive right through the front window of their store where the entrance lobby is. If anyone would like to see a link to their website, please post a response and I will post it.

BillyGr

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on June 25, 2013, 07:59:53 PM
Not quite sure where to post this, due to the fact that this is a local chain in my area of the state that I live in, but they recently experienced the exact same thing. Believe it or not, there is a family owned grocery store that operates in three counties of the state that I live in. They are called, "Acme Fresh Market" formerly called, "Click's" back in the 1980's and early 1990's. They are separate from the Acme Chain in the northeast part of the country. They recently had a senior citizen drive right through the front window of their store where the entrance lobby is. If anyone would like to see a link to their website, please post a response and I will post it.

I stopped at the one in Hudson last year while in that area, but not the one the car crashed into in N. Canton.  When we were going to the area, I was looking for stores and it seems that that area has an unusually high number of independent and small chains and few (only one, really - GE?) larger chain.

You could always make a post about this (or any of the other) stores in that area - probably the only reason they don't exist yet is that they are smaller and unless there are many members from or familiar with the area no one would have had a reason to post about them.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: BillyGr on June 26, 2013, 02:17:31 PM
Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on June 25, 2013, 07:59:53 PM

I stopped at the one in Hudson last year while in that area, but not the one the car crashed into in N. Canton.  When we were going to the area, I was looking for stores and it seems that that area has an unusually high number of independent and small chains and few (only one, really - GE?) larger chain.

You could always make a post about this (or any of the other) stores in that area - probably the only reason they don't exist yet is that they are smaller and unless there are many members from or familiar with the area no one would have had a reason to post about them.
I just posted a request for one.

zonemad96

I remember almost all the family owned markets in the western part of md had best yet until they switched over to the shurfine name a few years ago.

Ames Newington

The new Best Market in Newington is still under construction and is scheduled to open in the next month (hopefully).

Visit the Facebook page I created back in 2009 to track the progress:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187050178519/

RoleModel

Quote from: Ames Newington on August 25, 2013, 09:56:01 AM
The new Best Market in Newington is still under construction and is scheduled to open in the next month (hopefully).

Visit the Facebook page I created back in 2009 to track the progress:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/187050178519/

Best Market's newer stores on LI (East Patchogue, West Babylon, and Huntington Station) have managed to revive the shopping centers that were dying because of Waldbaums closing those stores. Don't set unrealistic expectations, just realize that this is more of a store that serves as a good companion piece to shopping at the bigger stores like S&S or Shoprite. It will most certainly be better than what Waldbaums was, especially in those outdated locations.

ynkeesfn82

Best Market plans to open their Newington, CT store on October 25th. Although no specifics were given they hope to open more stores in Connecticut. They also have high expectations for the new store in Newington.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on September 26, 2013, 08:58:28 PM
Best Market plans to open their Newington, CT store on October 25th. Although no specifics were given they hope to open more stores in Connecticut. They also have high expectations for the new store in Newington.

Best Markets: There is an empty Store in East Hartford that was a Big Y.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on September 30, 2013, 10:32:09 AM

If it's an old Big Y, it's too big. Best Market stores are smaller in size than your typical grocery store. The one in Newington will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 33,000 Square Feet.

RoleModel

Quote from: Marc B on September 30, 2013, 07:17:32 PM

If it's an old Big Y, it's too big. Best Market stores are smaller in size than your typical grocery store. The one in Newington will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 33,000 Square Feet.

When Best Market took over the ex-Waldbaum's in East Patchogue, NY, they didn't take the entire store. About 10,000-15,000 SF was subdivided.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on September 30, 2013, 07:17:32 PM

It might depend on just how old an old store it is. 

Looking at this one in Adams (which Big Y took over circa 1984, per the picture's quote) and having been in it, it seems on the small side - not sure if it's 33,000 SqFt or not.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33445721@N04/7261450162/