Friendly's

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikaelaA

It’s because the building's lease expired.

retailisking

Quote from: MikaelaA on May 29, 2019, 05:57:33 AM
It’s because the building's lease expired.
It's the usual story - the lease was up and the restaurant was underperforming. It will be the same story with the rest of them one by one until they're all closed unless they file again and close the rest of them all at once.

retailisking

This story is from last month, but Dean Foods is reportedly looking to sell its Friendly's ice cream manufacturing unit along with other parts of the company. Although the supermarket part of the business appears healthy, the part of the company that supplies ice cream to the Friendly's restaurants is losing volume as the chain continues its slide into oblivion.
https://www.masslive.com/business/2019/05/whats-next-for-friendlys-ice-cream-plant-in-wilbraham-as-owner-dean-foods-looks-to-restructure.html

retailisking

Six more Friendly's have closed this month or are soon to close - three in New Hampshire, one in Massachusetts, and two in New York. The New Hampshire locations are Concord (North Main St.), Laconia and Manchester. NH will be down to four remaining Friendly's (North Conway, Concord (Loudon Rd.), Rochester and Merrimack.)
https://www.masslive.com/business/2019/10/friendlys-closes-two-more-locations-wilbraham-based-chain-continues-to-shrink.html

retailisking

The former Friendly's in North Windham, ME is being converted to Portland Pie Co. (local pizza chain)

JimSawhill

Quote from: Zayre88 on April 08, 2019, 06:56:33 PM
Sad. Augusta, Maine is in that list. A former Howard Johnson's location.

Anybody moved into that building, yet?

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on October 29, 2019, 06:37:36 PM
Six more Friendly's have closed this month or are soon to close - three in New Hampshire, one in Massachusetts, and two in New York. The New Hampshire locations are Concord (North Main St.), Laconia and Manchester. NH will be down to four remaining Friendly's (North Conway, Concord (Loudon Rd.), Rochester and Merrimack.)
https://www.masslive.com/business/2019/10/friendlys-closes-two-more-locations-wilbraham-based-chain-continues-to-shrink.html

the one in Laconia was 2 miles from my place.

EddieJ1984

Last year The Amici Partners Group bought Friendly's.

And now they opened their first new friendly's which is a fast casual place.

https://www.nrn.com/delivery-takeout-solutions/friendly-s-debuts-first-fast-casual-cafe

I don't care for the idea of ordering stuff off my cell phone, its fine if I'm going to a fast food place in the drive thru but a place I want to sit down, I'd rather order the food from somewhere and get the restaurant experience, I guess I get why they are trying this though to fit in.

Everything Community

That Friendly's in Vernon, CT (one of the last surviving Friendly's in northern CT) is still open as of today.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on May 03, 2020, 08:03:48 PMThe former Friendly's in North Windham, ME is being converted to Portland Pie Co. (local pizza chain)

We get their pizza dough (including the one made with Shipyard beer) in the Hannaford stores down here in eastern NY state.

Everything Community

Friendly's in Manchester, CT (Buckland St. location) closed in March of 2020 due to COVID restrictions and unlike other Friendly's locations at a time, that location never reopened when restrictions were lifted. It's currently vacant with no plans at this time for another occupation in that building at this time.

Friendly's adopted the Express status at this location in summer of 2018 that renovated the building to reflect the test series of Express locations for faster service. Friendly's downgraded back to regular full-service status soon after before closing for good.

This is what that property looks like today.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

EddieJ1984

The Friendly's in Morrisville, PA closed a couple of months ago, and is now becoming "Yardley Distillery Restaurant"

https://wpst.com/yardley-distillery-restaurant-taking-over-friendlys-in-morrisville-pa/

BillyGr

The former Friendly's in East Greenbush, NY is being converted to a restaurant called Papa Brillo's. 

That restaurant is run by someone who apparently worked for a restaurant of the same name years ago in Rhode Island, and this person has run the restaurant for the past few years on NY Route 7 between Troy and Bennington. 

They were originally planning this to be an expansion but are now closing the one on Route 7 to focus on this new soon to open location.

Story was posted on the site for a local news station, WTEN out of Albany, if anyone wants to find it.

Brammy

In my area of Connecticut Souhtington, Plainville, and Bristol remain open. Of those 3 only Plainville still serves breakfast and they don't open til 8AM.
The Real Brammy