Main Menu

Target

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Zayre88, which PFresh Target did you visit?

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on March 07, 2011, 06:42:44 PM
Zayre88, which PFresh Target did you visit?

I do not remember if it was Greenland or Dover NH, maybe Bangor, ME.  Those are the last 3 stores that I visited.

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on March 07, 2011, 08:26:39 PM
I do not remember if it was Greenland or Dover NH, maybe Bangor, ME.  Those are the last 3 stores that I visited.

Greenland and Somersworth (Dover) are PFresh, but none of the other Targets in ME or NH have been converted.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Zayre88 on January 14, 2011, 11:37:43 AM
Some say "we should buy Canadian".
Maybe they meant "Buy Canadian-owned".

ynkeesfn82

katnapped

The PFresh thing is a joke, IMO.  A lot of the prices on edibles shot up (4 bucks for muffin mix, folks?), and what they added was nothing to brag about either (29 cents for ONE banana?...not a pound...ONE banana)

Zayre88

QuoteTarget eyes $6B in annual Canadian sales
'Vibrant market'; Plans to open about 200 stores: CFO
By S. JOHN TILAK, Reuters April 7, 2011

U.S. retail giant Target Corp. expects to generate at least $6 billion in annual sales in Canada in as little as six years as it makes its first foray into a foreign market.

Chief financial officer Douglas Scovanner also said Wednesday the No. 2 U.S. retailer, which announced its entry into the Canadian market in January, now plans to open about 200 Canadian stores, expanding on earlier estimates.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/todays-paper/Target+eyes+annual+Canadian+sales/4572207/story.html

d_fife

what did the TArget first store look like before it was demolished in 2005?

and why dont they have a TArget in Vermont when they have stores in Wyoming, 5 in Maine, and are entering Canada?

TRJ_22487

Quote from: d_fife on April 09, 2011, 01:02:09 AM
what did the TArget first store look like before it was demolished in 2005?

Quote from: TRJ22487 on October 01, 2010, 05:07:48 PM
Here is the original Target in Roseville Minnesota back in the 60's. It was replaced in 2005 for a current style Target

If you're asking what it looked like in say, 2004, I'm not quite sure. Probably didn't keep the vintage logo to the end.
By the mid 1990's most Target's looked the same way they generally do today.
Vermont is very strict about what it allows to open in their state. To my knowledge still no Walmart in Vermont either. Only Kmart's.
Even then I believe Vermont only has three Kmart locations.

amesman

No, Vermont has Wal-Mart stores. Just no supercenters. There are locations in Burlington, Rutland, and Bennington, possibly others.

From what I've heard, Target wanted to put a store in Rutland back around 2004-05, but the city wanted them to go into a preexisting building downtown, and Target wanted to build their own building. They couldn't come to an agreement, so they never opened, and apparently that has soured Target's view of Vermont.

TRJ_22487

Oh Vermont does allow them now? I haven't lived there for over a decade

BillyGr

Actually it seems mostly to be what Amesman referred to with Target, in that Vermont prefers (where possible) to have retailers use existing buildings rather than build new.  Of course, many of the chian prefer to build so that their stores have a similar set-up.

The Bennington WalMart is in a former 5&10 (I know it was mentioned before somewhere which one it was, but I forgot).  The store is probably about 1/2 the size of most "regular" WalMart stores, but seems to work in the area (they also have a normal Kmart in town).

Another example - their Home Depot is actually a combined former Price Chopper and Ames side by side (with the garden area having been, I believe originally a drug store) - while the store is probably just as big as any Home Depot, it looks strange because the aisles are short (those stores not being as deep) but there are many more of them side to side (since using the two buildings together).

On the other hand, they allowed Price Chopper to build new (but they removed part of the plaza in the process so kind of a "substitution" of one large building for several smaller spaces), along with Aldi & CVS (this was vacant land prior).  The Hannaford also appears to be a newer building.  Possibly since at the time of those stores being built, nothing was available that would fit them?

Zayre88

Target has released a list of the first 105 stores to open in Canada in early 2013.

I'll be getting a store in my hometown!  It will surely be a great improvement over Zellers.

ynkeesfn82

Target in Southington, CT just got their Pfresh section open on Sunday 6/5/11.

videogamer75

Quote from: BillyGr on April 09, 2011, 07:08:59 PM
The Bennington WalMart is in a former 5&10 (I know it was mentioned before somewhere which one it was, but I forgot).

It was a Woolworth.

ynkeesfn82

Article about the expansion of the Grocery Department in Connecticut Target stores.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-target-expands-grocery-offerings-20110810,0,4429025.story

katnapped

Really not impressed with the whole PFresh concept.  Seems to be more for a convenience factor as many items aren't all that competitive with either the local supermarkets or Walmart.

The single banana for .24 at Target comes to mind

retailisking

The agreement now calls for 189 locations (up from 105) to convert to Target
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9PUF2F80.htm

Meanwhile, Canadian grocery giant Sobeys (which was a major shareholder in Hannaford Bros. prior to its takeover by Delhaize) will supply food to Target Canada
http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Target+signs+deal+with+Sobeys+supply+food+Canadian+chain/5452035/story.html

retailisking

vwnut13

Quote from: retailisking on October 01, 2011, 05:57:38 AM
Vermont, the only remaining state without a Target, might finally get one - in five years...
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110929/NEWS01/110929038/Target-pitches-plan-Williston-officials-store-up-five-years-away

Saw that on the news.  Hopefully we get one.

If not, they can always put one right over the NH border.  Tax Free Targets are the best kind.

Zayre88

Quote from: Zayre88 on May 27, 2011, 07:31:09 PM
Target has released a list of the first 105 stores to open in Canada in early 2013.

I'll be getting a store in my hometown!  It will surely be a great improvement over Zellers.

More stores were recently announced.  The final number of picked up location to become Target stores could be from 125 to 135.

Target has also sold 39 Zellers sites to Walmart Canada.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

XDeSuEhTX

Does anyone know what the current standard is for new Target builds as far as store format? Did they abandon their "Super Target" format, or just rebrand it Target as Walmart is now doing? If so, do all new Targets feature a full grocery?

Also, why is Zellers selling out?
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

Zayre88

Quote from: XDeSuEhTX on November 14, 2011, 09:42:36 PM
Does anyone know what the current standard is for new Target builds as far as store format? Did they abandon their "Super Target" format, or just rebrand it Target as Walmart is now doing? If so, do all new Targets feature a full grocery?

Also, why is Zellers selling out?

I believe that Target dropped the Target Greatland concept.  I have never seen a Super Target or Greatland and most new Target stores near me have been regular stores.

Zellers has been declining for years.  They tried to copy Kmart, then Target but without success.  Walmart Canada easily beats Zellers on all aspects.  The company that owns Zellers probably wanted to sell while the company is still afloat rather than wait a couple years and loose more market share and maybe close stores or go bankrupt.

retailisking

There are, or rather were, a number of Target Greatland outlets in metro Boston including Danvers, Framingham, Woburn and Everett.  I believe all or most have converted to PFresh.

dmx10101

Target said it plans to close stores in Broomfield, Colo., Raleigh, N.C., Orlando and Portland by the end of its fiscal year in late January.

In each case, the company said the decision was made after careful consideration of the financial performance of the specific location and that all eligible store employees were offered the option to transfer to a nearby Target store. What’s interesting about the closures is that the stores aren’t all that old. The Broomfield and Raleigh locations opened in 1995 while the Portland store opened in 1996. The Orlando Super Target location on West Colonial Drive is roughly a decade old as it opened in 2001
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

XDeSuEhTX

That's not good... We already know Kmart is living on borrowed time, and now Target is struggling? It basically indicates that Walmart has "won", and really it's a matter of time before Walmart is the only place to go. Sad.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

retailisking

Their "cheap chic" reputation may have worn a bit thin of late, but Target is hardly on life support.  Like many chain retailers, in good times Target misjudged economic growth and demographic trends in certain market areas that did not pan out as expected.  In the case of Broomfield, they built a larger store one exit away, so the older location became redundant.  Lowe's just adjusted its store portfolio for the same reasons.  Target continues to enjoy the loyalty of a slightly upscale (relative to Walmart) customer base who wouldn't be caught dead in the Big Blue Box.

XDeSuEhTX

Quote from: retailisking on November 28, 2011, 10:48:57 PM
Their "cheap chic" reputation may have worn a bit thin of late, but Target is hardly on life support.  Like many chain retailers, in good times Target misjudged economic growth and demographic trends in certain market areas that did not pan out as expected.  In the case of Broomfield, they built a larger store one exit away, so the older location became redundant.  Lowe's just adjusted its store portfolio for the same reasons.  Target continues to enjoy the loyalty of a slightly upscale (relative to Walmart) customer base who wouldn't be caught dead in the Big Blue Box.

I think it's mostly a big brown and tan box these days. Anyways, while Target is closing redundant stores, Walmart is still in the process opening them, and I do of course mean markets where "supercenters" already exist, which I think a clear indication of their vastly different financial outlooks.

retailisking

Target is converting South Portland, ME store to its Expanded Fresh Food Layout (aka PFresh)
http://www.mainebiz.biz/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120103/NEWS02/120109981/0/FRONTPAGE