Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everything Community

Kmart Store #9255

Palmer, Massachusetts - Closing on October 27, 2019 (announced 8/6/2019 as one of 5 Kmart stores)

Facts about this store:

-Opened 3/22/1979

-Operated as W.T. Grant (Grant City concept) for few years before Kmart occupied this site.

-Still has the original "garden" sign behind the diseased sign (where "auto" sign used to be).

-Kmart remodeled to a Big K concept in "at least" 2000.

-Neither had a full-service restaurant nor a K-Cafe (which I believe)

Bonus: Nearest Walmarts are in Springfield, MA (towards west) & Sturbridge, MA (towards east)

Nostalgic but overall a nice place to stop in for essentials not found at other stores. Full photo album of this store will be up on our Flickr ASAP. Stay tuned!

Kmart4life

Well the last closest Kmart to me which is almost an hour away in St. Petersburg Florida is set to close in January. This was a go ahead store because it was on the top 25 most profitable stores list, and as of a few months ago was not on the chopping block. But I found out that this is an owned store that was used for collateral on loans and now is stuck paying $33,000 in loan payments so Fast Eddie decided to shutter it. 🤬🤬🤬

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on September 14, 2019, 02:04:38 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on September 14, 2019, 12:53:23 PM
Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on September 13, 2019, 11:39:53 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on September 13, 2019, 06:03:01 PM
Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on September 13, 2019, 03:00:05 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on September 13, 2019, 11:43:51 AM
I had some Freecash points in my Kmart account, and wanted to use them because....well, who
knows how much longer Kmart is going to be around.

They have no stores in my area anymore so I went online and bought a pair of pants.
They arrived.  Even though labeled in my size they were too small (or perhaps I've put
on weight).  I went online to process a return, and the site told me that the shipping would
be prohibitive, and I should return them to a Kmart store.

Problem is, I think the closest Kmart still open for business is someplace in Northeast Ohio.
So I logged on and chatted with a customer service agent.

The agent was very pleasant, and I was quite surprised when he told me that Kmart would
just issue a refund credit to my credit card, and I could simply donate the pants to charity.

That was outstanding and greatly appreciated!  I told the agent that I would have retuned them
to a store but Kmart and Sears have all closed in my region.  The agent claimed that Kmart would
be opening 400 small format stores soon.

Really?  We'll see.

Personally I absolutely doubt that Kmart will ever open any small format stores let alone any new stores considering the rate they are going.

Why would a customer service representative say something like this? Especially if its false? At this point, they can't even stock the remaining stores they have left. I would love if they did open a few though. I believe starting with new stores would have been the better idea instead of dragging on these very old and tired ones.

The reason I do have doubts about any new Kmart stores opening up is the way that Lampert is running the business. It would be more cost efficient for Kmart to consider fully renovating existing stores and make all necessary repairs to the buildings (Like fixing the roofs to prevent leaks) even though completely new stores would be a good idea (Although that would cost more to build a new store than to properly renovate and repair).

Regarding what the customer service representative knows could be either true or false. For Kmart to try small format stores it should have been attempted a long time ago.

Today any possible small format Kmart would run into real competition in the form of Dollar General and Family Dollar.

Walmart tried the idea of small format stores they called Walmart Express in 2011 but that failed and they were all shuttered 5 years later.

Edited to add - Personally I absolutely think that it's completely too late for Kmart to turn itself around in it's current form.

Kmart still has a following. Many preferred their clothes to Walmart and they also had a better toy department. They also had a much better Christmas/Trim-A-Tree selection. It was a place to find rare items you couldn't get elsewhere. I thought Kmart was the store that was in between Walmart and Target. Not too trendy but not totally low end. They could have capitalized on their best points, but of course they didn't do that.

What should have happened to Kmart that would have given it a real chance was.

1. - Kmart should have kept updating it's stores over the years (Even before the late 1980's) to keep them competitive.
2. - Kmart should have never acquired other companies like Waldenbooks, Builders Square and Sports Authority for example instead investing the money in it's existing stores.
3. - Kmart should have invested the money in Computer Technology to manage it's supply chain like both Target and Walmart did.
4. - Kmart should have maintained a lower dividend which would have made more money available for the improvement of it's stores.
5. - They should have never let Charles Conway take any form of control at Kmart.
6. - Kmart should have moved toward establishing a Internet Shopping operation before the turn of the century.

Those for example would have made a difference for sure. Numbers 2, 3 and 4 listed if done would have kept Kmart truly competitive against both Walmart and Target and Number 6 if done would have allowed Kmart to be prepared when Amazon started to truly take off.

Instead of acquiring Waldenbooks, Builders Square and Sports Authority, I think Kmart should've just focused on Kmart, Super Kmart, Kmart Express Gas Stations and the few remaining Kresge and Jupiter stores they had left at the time, while investing in renovations, store expansions and technological upgrades...

I also wish that they would've stuck to that deal with Wendy's to open restaurants in their stores...

What Kmart should've done was make their stores feel like the American equivalent of Canada's Zellers stores...

TheFugitive

Even if they had done all of that Walmart would likely still have cleaned their clock.
They built a supply chain efficiency juggernaut that virtually no one else in the industry
could keep up with.  (I know....I was with Hills, and we tried).

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 25, 2019, 10:00:19 AM
Even if they had done all of that Walmart would likely still have cleaned their clock.
They built a supply chain efficiency juggernaut that virtually no one else in the industry
could keep up with.  (I know....I was with Hills, and we tried).
If Walmart killed a much-improved Kmart in that alternate universe's version of the 2000s/2010s, most of their stores would be sold off to Target or ShopKo.

Amesguy2000

Does anyone know of any other closing list for kmart from before 2010... (1980-2010 Mostly Ranged) Besides 1994, 2000, 2002, and 2003?

esw01407

Sounds like another list will be hitting soon. Most of the remaining Kmarts in eastern PA are closing. Wilkes-Barre seems safe for now.

retailisking

AmesNewington

I had the chance to visit store #3433 in Holyoke, MA today with my mom and dad. It is located a mile from the popular Holyoke Mall in a large plaza off the beaten path. A Sears Outlet store is located just next door. This location is larger than any of the stores I went to in CT. With that said, it was too large for the stock they had. There is a ton of empty space throughout the salesfloor. Also, merchandise was randomly placed throughout the store with no organization. The middle of the store where housewares and everyday essentials are really weren't classified in proper departments like then other locations I've been to. You have to walk the entire area of that store to find an item. It could be in any aisle, and the continuity was not practical. A lot of items were placed in multiple locations, similar to what I've heard of other Kmarts. A lot of aisles had large empty spaces. There were buckets in one food aisle collecting water from the ceiling. It was quite sad to see the store like this (thanks Eddie Lampert). I'm sure it was much more alive even a few years ago. I did like their Christmas selection as always. But it wasn't the vast selection of years past we used to see in the Cromwell, CT store, which had stock both inside and in the seperate garden center area. I wasn't expecting to see that anyway. They were playing Spanish music every three or four songs with regular music mixed in. When all said and done, I did stock up on several items, some just for the Smart Sense name as I'm very sentimental. There were only 2 registers open. A third opened up when we got to the front. The cashiers were pleasant enough. The customers were somewhat scary, but the few that interacted with us were harmless. If this store was closer, I'd go more often, but it being 45 minutes away, we'll be lucky if we get there at least once more. I'm lucky to have the Sears by Buckland Hills in Manchester to visit. I still like their clothing. Kmart didn't have much to choose from, but I found a few nice things.

Brammy

Quote from: AmesNewington on November 09, 2019, 07:53:19 PM
There were buckets in one food aisle collecting water from the ceiling. It was quite sad to see the store like this (thanks Eddie Lampert).
I told you the Waterbury, Connecticut store was like that the last year they were open 2013. It was a week or two after Connecticut had that big snow storm that dumped up to 40 inches of snow on some parts of the state.

QuoteThe customers were somewhat scary, but the few that interacted with us were harmless.

Holyoke is kind of a sketchy city, though not as bad as Worcester.  ;)
The Real Brammy

Everything Community

I had the chance to visit store #3433 in Holyoke, MA today with my mom and dad. It is located a mile from the popular Holyoke Mall in a large plaza off the beaten path. A Sears Outlet store is located just next door. This location is larger than any of the stores I went to in CT. With that said, it was too large for the stock they had. There is a ton of empty space throughout the sales floor. Also, merchandise was randomly placed throughout the store with no organization. The middle of the store where housewares and everyday essentials are really weren't classified in proper departments like then other locations I've been to. You have to walk the entire area of that store to find an item. It could be in any aisle, and the continuity was not practical. A lot of items were placed in multiple locations, similar to what I've heard of other Kmarts. A lot of aisles had large empty spaces. There were buckets in one food aisle collecting water from the ceiling. It was quite sad to see the store like this (thanks Eddie Lampert). I'm sure it was much more alive even a few years ago. I did like their Christmas selection as always. But it wasn't the vast selection of years past we used to see in the Cromwell, CT store, which had stock both inside and in the separate garden center area. I wasn't expecting to see that anyway. They were playing Spanish music every three or four songs with regular music mixed in. When all said and done, I did stock up on several items, some just for the Smart Sense name as I'm very sentimental. There were only 2 registers open. A third opened up when we got to the front. The cashiers were pleasant enough. The customers were somewhat scary, but the few that interacted with us were harmless. If this store was closer, I'd go more often, but it being 45 minutes away, we'll be lucky if we get there at least once more. I'm lucky to have the Sears by Buckland Hills in Manchester to visit. I still like their clothing. Kmart didn't have much to choose from, but I found a few nice things.
Today marked our second visit to this Kmart in the city of Holyoke, MA. Here's the update:

-They have removed the late 90's "ELECTRONICS" signage since my last visit less than five months earlier. It has been replaced with the crazy "TOYS" sign. They have relocated the Toy department to what was once a section used for Electronics. However, here's what's left of the "ELECTRONICS" section in its place.

-They have a lot of Christmas merchandise set up for the holidays. They carry a lot of pantry stuff that are all Christmas related, ornaments, snow globes, Christmas trees & lights, doormats, holiday-themed clothes, anything festive you can think of.

-Where the Kmart Family Diner used to be, they still have a Bluelight Kiosk. Totally classier than I thought.

-The exterior paint isn't that good so it still show signs of the "BIG Kmart" labelscar.

-At least all the non-closing stores (like this one) are holding the Blow-Out sale.

No wonder this Grants-POB Kmart is in a depressed mode with nothing as much left to buy for. If I'm back in the greater Springfield area within months or so (most likely if this store's about to close permanently, but not really closing yet!), I will hit up the road and try to uncover stuff from off the shelves (if any!).

In anyone's opinion, how your experience at this Kmart (Christmas merchandise, sloppy shelves, etc.)?

AmesNewington

Quote from: Everything Community on November 10, 2019, 10:25:16 PM
I had the chance to visit store #3433 in Holyoke, MA today with my mom and dad. It is located a mile from the popular Holyoke Mall in a large plaza off the beaten path. A Sears Outlet store is located just next door. This location is larger than any of the stores I went to in CT. With that said, it was too large for the stock they had. There is a ton of empty space throughout the sales floor. Also, merchandise was randomly placed throughout the store with no organization. The middle of the store where housewares and everyday essentials are really weren't classified in proper departments like then other locations I've been to. You have to walk the entire area of that store to find an item. It could be in any aisle, and the continuity was not practical. A lot of items were placed in multiple locations, similar to what I've heard of other Kmarts. A lot of aisles had large empty spaces. There were buckets in one food aisle collecting water from the ceiling. It was quite sad to see the store like this (thanks Eddie Lampert). I'm sure it was much more alive even a few years ago. I did like their Christmas selection as always. But it wasn't the vast selection of years past we used to see in the Cromwell, CT store, which had stock both inside and in the separate garden center area. I wasn't expecting to see that anyway. They were playing Spanish music every three or four songs with regular music mixed in. When all said and done, I did stock up on several items, some just for the Smart Sense name as I'm very sentimental. There were only 2 registers open. A third opened up when we got to the front. The cashiers were pleasant enough. The customers were somewhat scary, but the few that interacted with us were harmless. If this store was closer, I'd go more often, but it being 45 minutes away, we'll be lucky if we get there at least once more. I'm lucky to have the Sears by Buckland Hills in Manchester to visit. I still like their clothing. Kmart didn't have much to choose from, but I found a few nice things.
Today marked our second visit to this Kmart in the city of Holyoke, MA. Here's the update:

-They have removed the late 90's "ELECTRONICS" signage since my last visit less than five months earlier. It has been replaced with the crazy "TOYS" sign. They have relocated the Toy department to what was once a section used for Electronics. However, here's what's left of the "ELECTRONICS" section in its place.

-They have a lot of Christmas merchandise set up for the holidays. They carry a lot of pantry stuff that are all Christmas related, ornaments, snow globes, Christmas trees & lights, doormats, holiday-themed clothes, anything festive you can think of.

-Where the Kmart Family Diner used to be, they still have a Bluelight Kiosk. Totally classier than I thought.

-The exterior paint isn't that good so it still show signs of the "BIG Kmart" labelscar.

-At least all the non-closing stores (like this one) are holding the Blow-Out sale.

No wonder this Grants-POB Kmart is in a depressed mode with nothing as much left to buy for. If I'm back in the greater Springfield area within months or so (most likely if this store's about to close permanently, but not really closing yet!), I will hit up the road and try to uncover stuff from off the shelves (if any!).

In anyone's opinion, how your experience at this Kmart (Christmas merchandise, sloppy shelves, etc.)?

I loved being able to go there Saturday. At this point, supporting any actual store is my priority. I am realizing Kmart is not going to be around much longer, so even if by shopping at the remaining store closest to me won't save them, I still wanted to visit and buy whatever I could, even if for the name on the items. I did find things I can use and some remnants of the Smart Sense brand which they seem to be replacing with universal store brands such as Best Yet (sold at supermarkets like Best Market) and Essential Everyday, which could be found at Supervalu owned stores. I really liked their Christmas selection. If we didn't have a lot of decorations already we probably would have bought a lot more. There wasn't as much in the way of apparel as opposed to a few years ago. I found some nice selections for my niece and nephew, but would have bought more if they had more to choose from. I noticed that especially in the Pantry and Home areas, almost everything was on sale for very good prices. Perhaps this kind of pricing would have helped them all along. My mom spent $188 and I spent $166. My mom redeemed the $24 in SYW points I gained by shopping for Christmas gifts on kmart.com and I earned back another $24 for what we spent Saturday which I will use when I go to Sears in Manchester.

As for the atmosphere of the store, I found this store to be different from Cromwell, Vernon and Watertown, CT. I would assume its different from most of them. Even with the age and maintenance of most Kmarts they usually make improvements in certain areas and keep the entryway clean. This one was in my opinion very distressed throughout and dirty. The salesfloor was in disarray with things on the ground randomly. Like I said, I did not care for the fact that everything was stocked so randomly throughout the store. Some things didn't even seem to be placed in actual departments. I didn't even know the little room that used to be the Café where the restrooms are had Halloween/Fall merchandise on clearance until I saw your pics. One more thing that annoyed me was the loud music and the inclusion of Spanish music every so often. It was something I wasn't used to, but of course we are not from Holyoke and that is probably the demographic. I felt I was being followed by a few customers, and some just push you out of the way to get in an aisle. 

Did you also spot the leaky ceiling in the food aisle? I can't see how Kmart will be around in the long term if even their remaining locations after the recent closures look like this store.

We came from Newington, CT (town just south of Hartford) and used Route 5/15 to 91 to get to the store, but today there had to be an accident a few exits before the Mass line in Enfield which detoured us through Enfield which was also backed up on Route 5. Furthermore, the area by the Holyoke Mall was confusing so we had to turn around in a few spots to get to the road that led to Kmart. If all was clear on the highway, it would have taken us much less time to get there. I'd say we might be inclined to go back after Christmas at least once, if the store doesn't close by then. But if I lived closer to the store such as Enfield CT, I'd go much more often.

danfifepsu

The other night I had a dream the remaining Kmarts are closing

Retail Regents

Quote from: danfifepsu on November 18, 2019, 02:32:52 PM

That will eventually be a reality. They are too far gone and not worth salvaging.

TheFugitive

And that my children, and my childrens' children, would never be able to shop there again...

Quote from: TheFugitive on November 19, 2019, 01:15:18 PM

And that my children, and my childrens' children, would never be able to shop there again...

...Unless you visit Australia or New Zealand on vacation. The Kmart stores down under have disaffiliated themselves with the American Kmart Corporation in 1994, when Coles-Myer bought Kmart Corporation's remaining shares in the company. Coles-Myer (now Coles Group) has since sold Kmart Australia and their corporate sibling, Target Australia, to Wesfarmers Ltd.

www.kmart.com.au
www.kmart.co.nz

danfifepsu

Quote from: Retail Regents on November 18, 2019, 11:37:08 PM

That will eventually be a reality. They are too far gone and not worth salvaging.

how long do you give it? I Give it they announce it right after Christmas or early January.

Retail Regents

Quote from: danfifepsu on November 19, 2019, 10:34:28 PM
Quote from: Retail Regents on November 18, 2019, 11:37:08 PM

how long do you give it? I Give it they announce it right after Christmas or early January.

Exactly that amount of time, though I think they will torture both chains for longer.

Brammy

According to the Facebook Group Dead and Dying retail another round of KMART closings will be complete by February 2020 at which point there will be just 59 KMART stores left. Although none are in Connecticut 7 of them are close to Connecticut. - 1 in Holyoke, Mass. 2 in White Plains, NY. 2 in The Bronx, NY. 2 in Manhattan, NY.

Stores by state as of February 2020.

Kmart

Alabama - 0
Arizona - 0
Arkansas - 0
California - 10 - Big Bear Lake (1992), Costa Mesa (1963), Freedom (1993), Grass Valley (1981), Long Beach (1999), Mckinleyville (1994), Ramona (1991), Redwood City (1976), South Lake Tahoe (1976), Temple City (1976)
Colorado - 1 - Loveland (1980)
Connecticut - 0
Delaware - 0
Florida - 4 - Key Largo (1987), Key West (1991), Marathon (1977), Miami (14091 SW 88th St) ??
Georgia - 0
Guam - 1 - Tamuning (1995)
Hawaii - 0
Idaho - 0
Illinois - 1 - Des Plaines ("A Whole Lotta Awesome" concept store) (1967)
Indiana - 0
Iowa - 0
Kansas - 0
Kentucky - 0
Louisiana - 0
Maine - 0
Maryland - 2 - Edgewater (1995), Silver Spring (1972)
Massachusetts - 2 - Holyoke (1977), Hyannis (1973)
Michigan - 1 - Marshall (1990)
Minnesota - 1 - Minneapolis (The infamous store in the middle of the street) (1978)
Mississippi - 0
Missouri - 0
Montana - 1 - Hamilton (Last vintage logo) (1988)
Nebraska - 0
Nevada - 1 - Las Vegas (1983)
New Hampshire - 1 - West Lebanon (1976)
New Jersey - 5 - Avenel (1979), Belleville (1978), Kearny (1981), West Long Branch (1971), Westwood (1982)
New Mexico - 2 - Farmington (1974), Hobbs (1974)
New York - 6 - Bridgehampton (1999*), Baychester Ave Bronx (1994), Bruckner Blvd Bronx (1999*) {2FL}, Penn Station Manhattan (1996*) {2FL}, Astor Place Manhattan (1996*) {2FL}, White Plains (1999*)
North Carolina - 2 - Raleigh (1988), Kill Devil Hills (1992)
North Dakota - 1 - Minot (1970)
Ohio - 0
Oklahoma - 0
Oregon - 0
Pennsylvania - 4 - Columbia (1991), Kingston (1974), Willow Street (1991), Wind Gap (1995)
Puerto Rico - 7 - Bayamon (Unknown Opening Date) [MALL], Caguas (1987), Guaynabo (1997), Hato Rey (1998) {2FL}, Mayaguez (1996), Ponce (1999), Rio Piedra (1994)
Rhode Island - 0
South Carolina - 0
South Dakota - 0
Tennessee - 0
Texas - 1 - McAllen (Only border store left) (1971)
Utah - 0
Vermont - 0
Virgin Islands - 4 - Sunshine Mall Frederiksted/St Croix (1993), Sunny Isle St Croix (1998*), A Tutu Park Mall St Thomas (1993), Lockhart Gardens (1998*)
Virginia - 0
Washington - 1 - Burlington (1989)
West Virginia - 0
Wisconsin - 0
Wyoming - 0
STORE TOTAL: 59

* = Was NOT built by Kmart
[MALL] = Mall location w/ mall entry
{2FL} = 2 Floor store w/ escalators
The Real Brammy

Zayre88

59 stores...  Just pull the plug already.

What's the use of so few stores scattered across 20 states...

59 stores is close to the number of store closings that were announced in the past few years when rounds of closures happened. On the next round, they all got to go, very sad.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on November 22, 2019, 07:18:20 PM
59 stores...  Just pull the plug already.

What's the use of so few stores scattered across 20 states...

59 stores is close to the number of store closings that were announced in the past few years when rounds of closures happened. On the next round, they all got to go, very sad.

I predict that will be announced between December 28 and early January.

The remaining 2 in Maine close in a few weeks. I was at them recently. Boy does Augusta feel outdated to where I'm surprised it lasted that long

Only West Lebanon will remain in Northern New England.

Retail Regents

Mattydale and Sidney are on the way out, leaving upstate NY with 0 Kmart stores. At this rate, the NYC metro stores could be on the next list. It will eventually be over.

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on November 22, 2019, 11:53:26 PM
Mattydale and Sidney are on the way out, leaving upstate NY with 0 Kmart stores. At this rate, the NYC metro stores could be on the next list. It will eventually be over.

One might suspect they are sticking around for one reason, that being the locations.

If/when at some point they do close everything up, those should be quite valuable properties (either for someone to assume a lease or if they are owned to sell off), given that a site the size of a Kmart isn't often available in the city areas - probably at least a couple chains out there with little (or no) presence within NYC proper that would be willing to pay large sums to get those types of spots...

Crazybangles

Close em all already

TRU7536

Quote from: BillyGr on November 23, 2019, 02:34:29 PM

One might suspect they are sticking around for one reason, that being the locations.

If/when at some point they do close everything up, those should be quite valuable properties (either for someone to assume a lease or if they are owned to sell off), given that a site the size of a Kmart isn't often available in the city areas - probably at least a couple chains out there with little (or no) presence within NYC proper that would be willing to pay large sums to get those types of spots...

We all know real estate in Manhattan is crazy expense, so those two Kmarts in Manhattan must be making bank to keep open. I use to work a block away from the Penn Station location, huge tourist area due to Madison Square and Penn station. Basic store , that is 2 or 3 floors. Inside is super basic as well, but its the location.

With a Target like a block over, don't see them taking that spot if when Kmart finally folds. Walmart has been banned for opening in the five boroughs, so that be tough for them.

I don't see either spot being vacant for long if when Kmart does fold, they are located in two hot spots and company's will pay good money for location especially in Manhattan.

BillyGr

Quote from: TRU7536 on November 23, 2019, 06:30:39 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on November 23, 2019, 02:34:29 PM

With a Target like a block over, don't see them taking that spot if when Kmart finally folds. Walmart has been banned for opening in the five boroughs, so that be tough for them.

Although it might be a way for Walmart to work in - there was an article about them buying a company called Jet that delivers in the city as a "first" entry, but with the small number of Kmart stores left, would they simply make Eddie an offer at some point to either buy up the remainder or have him close all but the few in the NYC area and then they buy those as a going company?

That would seem to make it hard for anyone to complain, since they'd simply be buying a company out then...

retailisking

Kmart4life

St. Petersburg store has 10 more days left and then the only Kmart left in Florida will be in Miami.

buzz86us

I have a brand new never worn employee shirt, because it popped up on the website for $2, and I had points to spend.. hopefully in about a decade i can sell it for some mad duckets.

EddieJ1984

Quote from: buzz86us on February 20, 2020, 08:40:29 AM
I have a brand new never worn employee shirt, because it popped up on the website for $2, and I had points to spend.. hopefully in about a decade i can sell it for some mad duckets.

Looking at ebay at a circuit city shirt which went out of business 11 years ago. I see some from $18.50 to $25.