Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

I was in the Cromwell CT Kmart on Saturday, and at checkout, I noticed they had new card machines. At first, I thought they were making an investment in the store, but then I thought how all stores eventually had to change over card machines to accommodate the new chip cards. I wish Kmart would upgrade their register systems, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Zayre88

Is Kmart closing in Madawaska ME?

Apparently part of the store is up for lease.  Usually Kmart is closing at the end of their leases but based on this, they're trying to lease the store while it stays open?

http://atlanticretail.com/listings/madawaska-me

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on March 26, 2016, 09:37:21 AM

Apparently part of the store is up for lease.  Usually Kmart is closing at the end of their leases but based on this, they're trying to lease the store while it stays open?

thats part of Kmarts strategy, to lease space to other stores while the rest ofthe store stays open. This store wont close will it??? its part of hte RIET. Well this is hte only store in the area, there is a Walmart across the river in CAnada.

BillyGr

Quote from: Zayre88 on March 26, 2016, 09:37:21 AM

It's kind of hard to see with the yellow overlay for the space available, but it's possible that some of that space on the far left could be a former auto area?  Many stores had those and they closed them all so that could be a chunk of the space they want to rent out.

TheFugitive

Was in another Kmart east of Pittsburgh this morning.

Aside from the general malaise I find in all of their stores, this one had every
3rd. bank of lights turned off in order to save money.  Another sure sign of a
company on the slow path to oblivion.

Also large racks overflowing with winter merchandise labeled "Clearance, 40% Off!"
Even at 40% off the prices were not particularly enticing.

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on March 26, 2016, 12:53:55 PM
It's kind of hard to see with the yellow overlay for the space available, but it's possible that some of that space on the far left could be a former auto area?  Many stores had those and they closed them all so that could be a chunk of the space they want to rent out.

The Madawaska Kmart (former W.T. Grant) is already quite tiny at 42,000 square feet. This subdivision would shrink it to under 28,000 square feet.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on April 01, 2016, 06:52:32 AM
Quote from: BillyGr on March 26, 2016, 12:53:55 PM
It's kind of hard to see with the yellow overlay for the space available, but it's possible that some of that space on the far left could be a former auto area?  Many stores had those and they closed them all so that could be a chunk of the space they want to rent out.

The Madawaska Kmart (former W.T. Grant) is already quite tiny at 42,000 square feet. This subdivision would shrink it to under 28,000 square feet.
the store I thought was 49,650. is it confirmed the store will shrink? it was a WT GRant and the only store in that place and area.

TheFugitive

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 20, 2016, 08:29:12 AM
I wish Kmart would upgrade their register systems, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I frequently encounter the IBM 4683 there.  I installed a bunch of these puppies during a
Zayre-to-Ames store conversion.....in 1989!!

danfifepsu

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: TheFugitive on April 01, 2016, 07:47:40 AM
Quote from: AmesNewington on March 20, 2016, 08:29:12 AM
I wish Kmart would upgrade their register systems, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I frequently encounter the IBM 4683 there.  I installed a bunch of these puppies during a
Zayre-to-Ames store conversion.....in 1989!!
Coles has upgraded the computers at Kmart in (I think) sometime in the 1990s...in Australia and New Zealand!

Most Kmart stores in my area went from "down and dirty" to just simply "down and out".

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 18, 2016, 03:14:21 PM
Most Kmart stores in my area went from "down and dirty" to just simply "down and out".

how come Wisconsin and Minesotta, they have closed 2/3s of them in the last 5 yrs?

danfifepsu

http://searsholdings.com/press-releases/pr/1963

TAYLOR MI SUPERCENTER, LORAIN OH SUPERCENTER IS CLOSING (MEIJER ANYON E????) and TEWKSBURY MASS IS! 60 more Kmarts

Quote from: danfifepsu on April 19, 2016, 08:04:31 PM

how come Wisconsin and Minesotta, they have closed 2/3s of them in the last 5 yrs?

Primary reason: companywide decision to close stores by Sears Holdings.

Secondary reason: increased competition from Target, Walmart, Shopko, Meijer, Rose's, and Fred Meyer.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 21, 2016, 07:53:55 PM

Secondary reason: increased competition from Target, Walmart, Shopko, Meijer, Rose's, and Fred Meyer.

that will do it, where there are other competitors, Kmart is at the lower end of hte food chain

NOTICE any of the closings on the list I gave and 70 more Kmarts are closing, along w the 50 others this year. WOW!!! only 800 something Kmarts will be left.

AmesNewington

Quote from: danfifepsu on April 21, 2016, 10:40:32 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 21, 2016, 07:53:55 PM

that will do it, where there are other competitors, Kmart is at the lower end of hte food chain

NOTICE any of the closings on the list I gave and 70 more Kmarts are closing, along w the 50 others this year. WOW!!! only 800 something Kmarts will be left.

Is Sears Holdings really expect to return to profitability after this round of closings? I had heard rumors Cromwell CT Kmart (closest K to me) would be closed and Wakefern would buy the property, but it wasn't on the list. Only Putnam in CT.

buzz86us

wow the Kmart in Fremont Ohio is finally closing I am surprised it lasted this long lol
I no longer live over there, but they never had many people in there..plus it was around the corner from a walmart

danfifepsu

Quote from: buzz86us on April 22, 2016, 01:59:24 PM
wow the Kmart in Fremont Ohio is finally closing I am surprised it lasted this long lol
I no longer live over there, but they never had many people in there..plus it was around the corner from a walmart
will it become a Meijer. and I went in that store in 2007, why arent you surprised it closed?

EddieJ1984

Man that's a shame the Kmart on Frankford Ave in Northeast Philadelphia is closing, since the Pathmark that was next to it closed a couple months back along with the food basics that was a few blocks away.

Interestingly I pass by the old kmart that it replaced on torresdale ave, its a food distributor now.

buzz86us

Quote from: danfifepsu on April 22, 2016, 02:45:23 PM
will it become a Meijer. and I went in that store in 2007, why arent you surprised it closed?
It was a Supercenter .. but they changed it into a regular K-Mart store and that store was a ghost town every time I was in there... it would be a great place for a meijer though

danfifepsu

Quote from: buzz86us on April 22, 2016, 07:26:33 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on April 22, 2016, 02:45:23 PM
It was a Supercenter .. but they changed it into a regular K-Mart store and that store was a ghost town every time I was in there... it would be a great place for a meijer though

when I w ent there in 2007 it was a supercenter and how long was It a ghost town for? why have they been closing A LOT of Kmarts in Ohio?

danfifepsu

and soon they will have half as many stores as they did when they emerged from bankruptcy!!!! and how come even some modern looking stores w the new logo have closed or are closing?

JSIDA17

Does anyone have any pictures of the Kmart in Putnam, CT before it was converted into a Sears Essentials?

danfifepsu

More Kmarts are closing, like Rome Ga, one in Mi and one in Bluefield WV. OK I saw Kmart in Presquse isle Me they dont have layaway listed and I called the store and they are no longer taking layaway whats that mean?

danfifepsu

go at google news and it  Shows kmart in presque isle REALLY IS CLOSING

danfifepsu

so are Bristol VA, near Shreveport la and Decatur il (I recall going there when there were potholes in the parking lot)

JSIDA17

The one in Putnam, CT will be going out of business this month.

JSIDA17

Here is a picture of the Kmart in Putnam, CT (building next to it was formally a T.J. Maxx and later was a Big Lots).

If anyone can direct me to a picture of the Kmart in Putnam, CT BEFORE it was a Sears Essentials, that would really help me. Thanks!