Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

Quote from: dmx10101 on February 13, 2014, 09:58:17 PM
Quote from: d_fife on February 13, 2014, 01:27:16 PM
Quote from: Ames Newington on February 13, 2014, 09:26:58 AM
Quote from: dmx10101 on February 12, 2014, 11:28:07 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 12, 2014, 05:39:21 PM
I just hope Kmart (and Sears) survives.

If Kmart decided to close all their stores, it would be just as bad as (or worse than) when Ames or Venture closed.

If Kmart USA were to close, then Kmart's Australian stores would be all that remain of Kresge's big box chain.

Kmart Australia was related to Kmart USA and Canada until 1994.

Kmart Canada would file for bankruptcy four years later and be bought out by Zellers.

Zellers lasted until the 2010s, when they were taken over by Target Canada.

They tested out some Sears prototypes in some former Kmart locations, including the Kmart store in Marietta, Georgia, only to be converted back to a Kmart store a few months later, due to poor sales as a Sears store, this time, Kmart's interior is more upscale, with some Sears merchandise on the sales floor, and has the new red Kmart signage over the front entrance on the exterior of the store.

The Kmart you're refering to in Marietta is closing. They started their going out of business sale a couple weeks ago.

It figures they would close a store with the new logo on the building and a remodel. :(

why is it closing?????

The store doesn't get any business.

when it was modenrized and arOUND Atlanta its endangered species.

d_fife

will the one in Claremont NH close?

MikeRa

Quote from: d_fife on February 13, 2014, 05:20:15 PM
Quote from: MikeRa on February 13, 2014, 04:16:28 PM
Quote from: d_fife on February 12, 2014, 07:15:02 AM
Quote from: MikeRa on February 12, 2014, 12:59:35 AM
Quote from: d_fife on February 09, 2014, 10:42:32 PM
Quote from: Pikapower on February 09, 2014, 07:32:35 PM
Quote from: d_fife on February 09, 2014, 07:01:34 PM
the ones in Marietta and Canton GA are closing too. why does so many Kmarts close around Atlanta?

K-Marts are closing left and right all over America!

I know Kmart needs to TURN AROUND AND STIP THIS, this didnt happen for aw hile into the Kmart SEars merger. ATlanta, Chicago, Fort Laturdale, COlumbus, Toledo, Denver and CIncinnati have TAKEN HARD HITS!
You might want to also add Philadelphia.  3 confirmed closings, and a possible 4th closing.  The 3 are: Island Avenue, Orthodox Street, 9th & Market Street.  the possible one is Roosevelt Blvd & Cottman Avenue.  That will leave only 1 Kmart in the city proper, at Frankford Avenue

how do you know Rooosevelt and Cuttman ave may close?
One of my co-workers at my work told me.  I have'nt seen anything in the Philadelphia Inquirer to confirm this one.

what did he say and why is PHILLY taking a hit, what went wrong with the downtown one?
The owner of the Gallery is trying to put a new upscale tennant in there, and since I am assuming the Kmart's lease is up anyway
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

d_fife

the one in near Albany in Reansallier is closing too!!! KMART NEEDS TO STOP! all there is now around Albany is the one in Schenectady which renewed its lease last year. Why has ALBANY GOTTEN HARD HIT

d_fife

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: TheFugitive on February 13, 2014, 11:32:11 AM
That photo can't be a Kmart.  The floor is WAY too clean.
;D
I would agree with that. ;D

It was a Sears for a short time before being converted back to a Kmart with a new logo.

Before it was a Sears, it had the Big K logo, which was used along with the Super K logo from around 1995 to 2002, before they switched back to just the solid red 1990 Kmart logo with the white 'mart' script inside it until 2004 before using the current logo, a solid red K with 'kmart' written underneath. Super K is now called Kmart Supercenter.

This particular store was featured on a Kmart blog not too long ago, it happens to be hybrid of Kmart and Sears styles.

BillyGr

And this just in - now the (Rensselaer) East Greenbush store will be closing (but later than the other two - Latham & Clifton Park).  Apparently their lease WAS up as well, just not quite as soon as the others.

Quote from: BillyGr on February 05, 2014, 03:13:22 PM
Quote from: d_fife on February 05, 2014, 12:24:17 AM
I know one store that opened in March of 1979 and ITS NOT CLOSING AT ALL.
2 leases got renewed last year.
the one in Rotterdam Schenectady got renewed last year.
hmmmmm

Hmmm is right - that is interesting that the one in Rotterdam Square got renewed recently - of course that is a somewhat newer store overall and also that Sears is another anchor in that mall (being the two are now co-owned).

I also found that the East Greenbush store building was apparently sold in 2007 to East Greenbush LLC, so likely if that one is now leased it may not be up for renewal at this point.

I wonder if they are actually looking at locations to keep based on surroundings?  While the recently closed Colonie store and the now closing Clifton Park and Latham stores are relatively close to other shopping (Walmart and Target particularly), Rotterdam Mall is kind of separated from the other Rotterdam/Schenectady shopping areas as is the East Greenbush Kmart store (on 9&20, while Walmart and Target are out on Rt 4 - not hard to get to if you know the roads, but harder for, say, public transit - I believe you cna still get a bus directly from Albany downtown to Kmart if you wished to). 
The other store still in the nearby area is Greenwich, which is at least 10-15 miles from the Greater Saratoga area and as far as I know there are no other discount stores in the town.

Hmmm.

d_fife

why is the capitol region hurting?

Quote from: BillyGr on February 21, 2014, 05:42:27 PM
And this just in - now the (Rensselaer) East Greenbush store will be closing (but later than the other two - Latham & Clifton Park).  Apparently their lease WAS up as well, just not quite as soon as the others.

Quote from: BillyGr on February 05, 2014, 03:13:22 PM
Quote from: d_fife on February 05, 2014, 12:24:17 AM
I know one store that opened in March of 1979 and ITS NOT CLOSING AT ALL.
2 leases got renewed last year.
the one in Rotterdam Schenectady got renewed last year.
hmmmmm

Hmmm is right - that is interesting that the one in Rotterdam Square got renewed recently - of course that is a somewhat newer store overall and also that Sears is another anchor in that mall (being the two are now co-owned).

I also found that the East Greenbush store building was apparently sold in 2007 to East Greenbush LLC, so likely if that one is now leased it may not be up for renewal at this point.

I wonder if they are actually looking at locations to keep based on surroundings?  While the recently closed Colonie store and the now closing Clifton Park and Latham stores are relatively close to other shopping (Walmart and Target particularly), Rotterdam Mall is kind of separated from the other Rotterdam/Schenectady shopping areas as is the East Greenbush Kmart store (on 9&20, while Walmart and Target are out on Rt 4 - not hard to get to if you know the roads, but harder for, say, public transit - I believe you cna still get a bus directly from Albany downtown to Kmart if you wished to). 
The other store still in the nearby area is Greenwich, which is at least 10-15 miles from the Greater Saratoga area and as far as I know there are no other discount stores in the town.

Hmmm.

katnapped

The dominoes are falling faster now looks like...

d_fife

Quote from: catnap72 on February 24, 2014, 09:05:26 PM

why? all hope isnt lost. some stores leases have been renewed. everyone else is struggling. OK THE FLORIDA KEYS have no store besides KMart, what will happen? THEY NEED A STORE LIKE THAT. KEy west, marathon and KEy largo have Kmart, NO WALMART.

BillyGr

Quote from: catnap72 on February 24, 2014, 09:05:26 PM

Probably makes some sense, thinking about their history.

It appears that they opened a record of 271 stores in 1976 (the most ever in a single year).  
Chances are pretty good that they had opened a fairly large number in the years prior to that also (like 1974, which would be 40 years ago, and apparently the length of many of the leases of the time).  So, assuming they continue the trend, I would expect as many or more over the next couple years anyhow.

Quote from: d_fife on February 24, 2014, 09:41:51 PM
why? all hope isnt lost. some stores leases have been renewed. everyone else is struggling. OK THE FLORIDA KEYS have no store besides KMart, what will happen? THEY NEED A STORE LIKE THAT. KEy west, marathon and KEy largo have Kmart, NO WALMART.

Most likely, either they will keep those open (renewing them, as they appear to have done in scattered cases) or if they choose to close it will prompt someone like WalMart or Target to move in to the area.  No guarantee on either, though.

Quote from: d_fife on February 21, 2014, 11:15:56 PM
why is the capitol region hurting?

Most likely the fact that this area escaped many of the earlier closings - I can think of only 3:
Glenville, Glenmont and the Super K in Saratoga (OK, I suppose the other Super K's in Amsterdam and Kingston are not too far out, given that they seem to keep including VT and MA in the "local area", but ...)

While many other areas were losing stores in bigger chunks back then, thus leaving less to close now?

Interesting point - aside from Rotterdam (which is store #3600, but that may have transferred from their older  store to the one in the mall) and the Queensbury former Super K (#4928) - the other stores remaining (Greenwich, Bennington VT, Great Barrington MA) are all #9000's, which, I believe were a set of slightly smaller stores built in areas with lower populations at one point.

Stork of The Weak

The only future I can see for Kmart where all is not lost would be if Big Lots were to buy the chain. It would seem to be a perfect combination, but most Kmart stores are double or triple the size of the average Big Lots. That doesn't mean Big Lots couldn't make full use of the Kmart spaces somehow. They could fill a third or so of the stores with furniture (which most if not all Big Lots already have, but the selection is minimal due to space limitations) and another third with groceries including frozen food and alcoholic beverages, both of which Big Lots sells at some stores but only a limited number of them.

Or if this doesn't work, Big Lots could split the former Kmart stores into two spaces, making half Big Lots and subletting the other half to any other tenants that make sense, such as ethnic grocery stores or Goodwill stores, but those two examples are only of tenants that would open in poorer towns. You can fill in those blanks with more upscale tenants depending on what would fit a particular location. And in the Southern states Big Lots has a competitor called Roses, which seems to be VERY flexible with store sizes (they seem to range from about 20,000 square feet all the way up to about 100,000) which could also take a lot of Kmart sites where Big Lots is already nearby or has already closed stores near.

I also wonder if either OfficeMax or Sports Authority would be interested in former Kmart sites, because both companies once had a secret partnership with Kmart. But I know OfficeMax has been struggling a lot (as has Office Depot which just bought them, and Staples) and it seems Sports Authority hasn't been growing at all since the later 90's, when Kmart stopped investing in them.

As for Sears, I don't think anybody can save them. Maybe they at least could have Best Buy or a smaller chain such as HHGregg that also sells electronics and appliances (two areas Sears is strong in) open at parts of a lot of the former Sears store sites. Also Kohl's could open at a lot of the sites. I find Kohl's stores to be boring and useless, but the quality seems above Sears at this point, in areas that the two can be compared. And I know Kohl's likes big-box buildings, but they have opened a few stores in more traditional department store buildings (such as at a few former Mervyns sites). Christmas Tree Shops still has a lot of room to grow and they seem to have imitated Sears along with Target and Kohl's, so they would be a candidate for the Sears real estate also.

And the more luxurious department store chains (Macy's/Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Dillard's) all would be great physical fits for the Sears spaces, but only would open at half of the Sears sites based on income demographics of the areas surrounding the stores. I also think the Boscov's chain in the Northeastern states (the ones outside New England) should try growing by taking advantage of Sears vacancies, but Boscov's did already have a bankruptcy a few years back, only because they opened at several former Strawbridge's stores in a hurry without remodeling at all.

MikeRa

The Kmarts in SE PA are now dropping like flies.  Langhorne/Levittown, and the 3 in Philadelphia.  I'm surprised the Feasterville and Bensalem stores aren't closing
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on February 24, 2014, 11:50:48 PM
The only future I can see for Kmart where all is not lost would be if Big Lots were to buy the chain. It would seem to be a perfect combination, but most Kmart stores are double or triple the size of the average Big Lots. That doesn't mean Big Lots couldn't make full use of the Kmart spaces somehow. They could fill a third or so of the stores with furniture (which most if not all Big Lots already have, but the selection is minimal due to space limitations) and another third with groceries including frozen food and alcoholic beverages, both of which Big Lots sells at some stores but only a limited number of them.

Or if this doesn't work, Big Lots could split the former Kmart stores into two spaces, making half Big Lots and subletting the other half to any other tenants that make sense, such as ethnic grocery stores or Goodwill stores, but those two examples are only of tenants that would open in poorer towns. You can fill in those blanks with more upscale tenants depending on what would fit a particular location. And in the Southern states Big Lots has a competitor called Roses, which seems to be VERY flexible with store sizes (they seem to range from about 20,000 square feet all the way up to about 100,000) which could also take a lot of Kmart sites where Big Lots is already nearby or has already closed stores near.

I also wonder if either OfficeMax or Sports Authority would be interested in former Kmart sites, because both companies once had a secret partnership with Kmart. But I know OfficeMax has been struggling a lot (as has Office Depot which just bought them, and Staples) and it seems Sports Authority hasn't been growing at all since the later 90's, when Kmart stopped investing in them.

As for Sears, I don't think anybody can save them. Maybe they at least could have Best Buy or a smaller chain such as HHGregg that also sells electronics and appliances (two areas Sears is strong in) open at parts of a lot of the former Sears store sites. Also Kohl's could open at a lot of the sites. I find Kohl's stores to be boring and useless, but the quality seems above Sears at this point, in areas that the two can be compared. And I know Kohl's likes big-box buildings, but they have opened a few stores in more traditional department store buildings (such as at a few former Mervyns sites). Christmas Tree Shops still has a lot of room to grow and they seem to have imitated Sears along with Target and Kohl's, so they would be a candidate for the Sears real estate also.

And the more luxurious department store chains (Macy's/Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Dillard's) all would be great physical fits for the Sears spaces, but only would open at half of the Sears sites based on income demographics of the areas surrounding the stores. I also think the Boscov's chain in the Northeastern states (the ones outside New England) should try growing by taking advantage of Sears vacancies, but Boscov's did already have a bankruptcy a few years back, only because they opened at several former Strawbridge's stores in a hurry without remodeling at all.

I could see some Kmart and Super Kmart vacancies be filled with Shopko and Meijer in the Midwest states in certain Midwest cities that do not have any of those stores. The Kmart store in Shawano, Wisconsin is a great example of a Kmart store which could be replaced by a Shopko store, since the city of Shawano does not yet have a Shopko store.

d_fife

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 26, 2014, 09:57:57 PM
Quote from: Stork of The Weak on February 24, 2014, 11:50:48 PM

I could see some Kmart and Super Kmart vacancies be filled with Shopko and Meijer in the Midwest states in certain Midwest cities that do not have any of those stores. The Kmart store in Shawano, Wisconsin is a great example of a Kmart store which could be replaced by a Shopko store, since the city of Shawano does not yet have a Shopko store.

what if Kmart turns around?

Quote from: d_fife on February 26, 2014, 10:44:46 PM
what if Kmart turns around?

Didn't we answer that in the last set of posts? They might recover. They might not. It's the retail version of Russian Roulette.

If I started an investment firm, I would buy Sears Holdings and the company that owns Toys "R" Us/Babies "R" Us/FAO Schwarz, and merge them into one company, called American Retail Holdings, Inc. I would place emphasis on revitalizing all of those retailers, by hiring retail design firms (like Chute Gerdeman Retail for example) to update their stores with a new upscale design and layouts that help Kmart compete with Target and Shopko, opening new locations, and expanding existing stores. New concepts could be tried like adding a "Toys "R" Us Toy Box" toy department to Kmart and Kmart Supercenter stores. Other new store concepts could be tried, like smaller stores for smaller towns, like the now-defunct Pamida stores, and the current Shopko Hometown stores that replaced them, a possible name for those types of "small town" stores could be "Kmart Hometown Centers". I would also try just about everything else to make the Sears/Kmart and Toys "R" Us companies be viable companies. I would also open up larger, more upscale Kmart locations with more emphasis on fashion and furniture and less emphasis on automotive and hardware, to compete with Shopko and Target, and have new Sears locations open that have more emphasis on electronics, hardware, mens', womens', and kids' fashion, appliances, furniture, and bedding.

d_fife

Other things I would do to improve Kmart:

*Improve their cleanliness standards. Everyone would like to shop in a clean store. A mop and bucket (as well as a wet floor sign) would do wonders.

*Restrict usage of the Australian Kmart logo outside Australia on copyright infringement grounds, and force the American Kmart locations using said logo to use the American Kmart logo.

*I would change the logo back to the Kmart logo used from 1962 to 1990. This would be similar to a move that JCPenney made to remove evidence of its rocky past.

*I would introduce a new Superbowl ad campaign similar to Apple Computer's "Hello" iPhone campaign, called "Attention Kmart Shoppers" using clips from different films using that catch phrase, including Troop Beverly Hills, Beetlejuice, and Six Days Seven Nights to unveil the new old Kmart logo. I would then hire Jim Parsons, currently know as Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory to become one of Kmart's new spokespersons.

*I would also introduce new restaurants to Kmart stores. Just like how select Walmart stores have a McDonald's, Subway, or Dunkin' Donuts, Kmart should at least try and get something similar instead of the same old Kcafe or Little Caesar's Pizza. I would have plans to open Wendy's Hamburger restaurants at some locations, while others would include Taco Bell restaurants.

*I would make all future Kmart grand openings fun for both kids and families by having meet-and-greets with Mr. Bluelight, as well as popular Nickelodeon cartoon characters SpongeBob SquarePants, and his friend Patrick Star, as well as all four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Kmart would hold raffles for such prizes like a $1,000.00 Kmart shopping spree, a giant-sized flat panel television set, a bicycle, a barbecue grill, patio furniture, a Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 2DS, and an X-BOX ONE. The first one hundred customers would get a $500.00 Kmart gift card.

EddieJ1984

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 27, 2014, 09:24:50 PM

*Improve their cleanliness standards. Everyone would like to shop in a clean store. A mop and bucket (as well as a wet floor sign) would do wonders.

*Restrict usage of the Australian Kmart logo outside Australia on copyright infringement grounds, and force the American Kmart locations using said logo to use the American Kmart logo.

*I would change the logo back to the Kmart logo used from 1962 to 1990. This would be similar to a move that JCPenney made to remove evidence of its rocky past.

*I would introduce a new Superbowl ad campaign similar to Apple Computer's "Hello" iPhone campaign, called "Attention Kmart Shoppers" using clips from different films using that catch phrase, including Troop Beverly Hills, Beetlejuice, and Six Days Seven Nights to unveil the new old Kmart logo. I would then hire Jim Parsons, currently know as Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory to become one of Kmart's new spokespersons.

*I would also introduce new restaurants to Kmart stores. Just like how select Walmart stores have a McDonald's, Subway, or Dunkin' Donuts, Kmart should at least try and get something similar instead of the same old Kcafe or Little Caesar's Pizza. I would have plans to open Wendy's Hamburger restaurants at some locations, while others would include Taco Bell restaurants.

*I would make all future Kmart grand openings fun for both kids and families by having meet-and-greets with Mr. Bluelight, as well as popular Nickelodeon cartoon characters SpongeBob SquarePants, and his friend Patrick Star, as well as all four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Kmart would hold raffles for such prizes like a $1,000.00 Kmart shopping spree, a giant-sized flat panel television set, a bicycle, a barbecue grill, patio furniture, a Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 2DS, and an X-BOX ONE. The first one hundred customers would get a $500.00 Kmart gift card.

They would need more than a mop and bucket lol.
Also their current logo I think is fine, at least the horizontal version of it, their stores already reek of being hardly touched since the 90s so going to a logo from before 1990 wouldn't be too wise, they need to be modern. They should change all the big kmart signs.
But a lot of stuff you mention would cost them money to do, and sadly kmart's shoddy perception has been ongoing for years now that I don't know if they could ever fully turn it around.

TRU7536

what future openings? lol, Kmart is done dude, its slowly going out of business without doing the whole big thing.

Sears and Kmart are just slowly dying a slow and painful death.

Stork of The Weak

TRU7536, why are you quoting others posts without adding anything new?

zonemad96

The logo they used until 90's is almost the same logo as the Australian kmart and that would make their stores look even more dated then they already are with that logo. Also kmart can't even afford to take care of their stores how are they going to afford to add a restaurant to them? As far as the last thing you said well first of off their would have to be new stores being built for that to happen and on top of that it would be a huge waste of money.