Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katnapped

The Ames store at Delco Plaza (York) closed not long after it (re)opened along with the other York store.  Seems like corporate knew those two stores weren't going to be around long as they got the bare minimum of remodeling in the transition between Hills and Ames (no automatic doors, reused the old red checkout stands Hills had, etc).  Same thing happened with the Edwardsville (NE PA) store and that one closed long before the Wilkes-Barre store did.

Pathmark closed all three of their central PA stores in late 1994 due to a labor dispute.  The one in York was partially reused as a Tractor Supply store but the rest (of that location) remained empty.

As for the Kmart there, they did give it the "Big K" 'remodel' (outside sign, Pantry, minor interior repainting, etc), but very little else was done with the building aside from remodeling the restrooms (weren't ADA compliant originally from what I remember).  I remember numerous times where they had tarp and dropcloths hanging from the ceiling (along with buckets) to catch rain water and melted snow so it was apparent the roof wasn't tended to.  Not sure if that helped lead to the store's demise.

d_fife

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on February 05, 2014, 07:55:55 PM
Quote from: d_fife on February 05, 2014, 03:56:48 PM
what do you think is going on?

and does a Walmart opening near a Kmart mean the Kmarrt WILL CLOSE?

No way, even though one would think so. The Kmart in Norfolk VA did close sometime in the past year or two, but coexisted with a Walmart next door for over 15 years (after which the already 20+ year old Kmart got a major remodel). Also, Walmart and Kmart have stores very close together not one but two different places in Lancaster PA, but one of those two Walmart stores is a non-Supercenter and unable to be expanded (and due to a Giant supermarket in the same shopping center, might not be allowed to add groceries), and the other Walmart, which has been a Supercenter all its life since it opened in 1998, has very poor visibility compared to a nearby Kmart which once was a Grant City store.

A WALMARt in Saugus is opening a 2 level one thats 110,000 sq.ft. and theres a Kmart and TArget on it, will the Kmart go in 2016 as it opened in 1976 and that road they are all on GETS SOOO MUCH TRAFFIC AND its near Boston.

bubcolbert1952

Kmart actually was scheduled years ago to close their store in Phoenixville PA, but it never happened. This was a really nice Kmart that has survived a long time with Walmart in the general area, so I'm glad to see it still open. But I get the feeling Giant (which has a store across the parking lot already) will buy this Kmart out of their lease to open a Super Giant with Starbucks, gas pumps, a daycare, cooking classes, etc. The general area around this Giant has been pounded by Wegmans so I'm sure Giant wants to be on top of the game. The nearby Acme also hasn't had a major update since 1988, and is relatively small, but has the advantage over Giant of having a Wine & Spirits store inside, run by the state. Also Redner's Warehouse Markets has a store in Phoenixville, and it would seem this store could be flipped to a ShopRite overnight without many obstacles.

d_fife

the ones in Marietta and Canton GA are closing too. why does so many Kmarts close around atlanta>?

Pikapower

Quote from: d_fife on February 09, 2014, 07:01:34 PM
the ones in Marietta and Canton GA are closing too. why does so many Kmarts close around Atlanta?

K-Marts are closing left and right all over America!
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

bubcolbert1952

I wonder if Kmart/Sears would object to Sam's Club opening at former Kmart sites, because while Kmart doesn't have a wholesale division, Sam's Club is a division of Walmart selling basically the same products, though to members only. Most Kmart stores are too small to become Walmart Supercenter conversions, as Walmart tries to have as many Supercenters as possible, but Sam's Club stores are usually a little bit smaller than Supercenters so the Kmart size format would be a good fit for Sam's.

d_fife

Quote from: Pikapower on February 09, 2014, 07:32:35 PM
the ones in Marietta and Canton GA are closing too. why does so many Kmarts close around Atlanta?

I know Kmart needs to TURN AROUND AND STIP THIS, this didnt happen for aw hile into the Kmart SEars merger. ATlanta, Chicago, Fort Laturdale, COlumbus, Toledo, Denver and CIncinnati have TAKEN HARD HITS!

bubcolbert1952

How about Walmart buy Kmart and Target buy Sears?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on February 09, 2014, 11:54:33 PM
How about Walmart buy Kmart and Target buy Sears?

Most Walmarts are typically larger than most KMARTs.

d_fife

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/02/10/4016496/kmart-closing-store-in-murrells.html   near Myrtle Beach is CLOSING. Surprised? WHY? I went there and the mall is dead back in 2008

where you surprised WAterbury closed?

massachusets hasnt gotten closeings as whats there to close

this in Charleston is closing too
 http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140210/PC05/140219959/1010/west-ashley-kmart-to-close-in-late-april

d_fife

how long until Kmart has less than 1000 stores?

bubcolbert1952

How about Lowe's pick up some former Kmart sites? Home Depot already did years ago, but so many more Kmart stores have closed that I think it's time for another great retailer (in any category) to open at a lot of the former spaces. We don't need more Forman Mills and other seedy stores.

Caldor1999

Quote from: d_fife on February 05, 2014, 04:31:12 PM
this in Colorado springs is closing http://gazette.com/kmart-store-closing-at-palmer-park-and-powers-boulevards-in-colorado-springs/article/1514058

i went to this store back in 2000 i have family that lives out there and i must say im surprised its still even open as of 2014
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

MikeRa

Quote from: d_fife on February 09, 2014, 10:42:32 PM

I know Kmart needs to TURN AROUND AND STIP THIS, this didnt happen for aw hile into the Kmart SEars merger. ATlanta, Chicago, Fort Laturdale, COlumbus, Toledo, Denver and CIncinnati have TAKEN HARD HITS!
You might want to also add Philadelphia.  3 confirmed closings, and a possible 4th closing.  The 3 are: Island Avenue, Orthodox Street, 9th & Market Street.  the possible one is Roosevelt Blvd & Cottman Avenue.  That will leave only 1 Kmart in the city proper, at Frankford Avenue
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

d_fife

Quote from: MikeRa on February 12, 2014, 12:59:35 AM

You might want to also add Philadelphia.  3 confirmed closings, and a possible 4th closing.  The 3 are: Island Avenue, Orthodox Street, 9th & Market Street.  the possible one is Roosevelt Blvd & Cottman Avenue.  That will leave only 1 Kmart in the city proper, at Frankford Avenue

how do you know Rooosevelt and Cuttman ave may close?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I just hope Kmart (and Sears) survives.

If Kmart decided to close all their stores, it would be just as bad as (or worse than) when Ames or Venture closed.

If Kmart USA were to close, then Kmart's Australian stores would be all that remain of Kresge's big box chain.

Kmart Australia was related to Kmart USA and Canada until 1994.

Kmart Canada would file for bankruptcy four years later and be bought out by Zellers.

Zellers lasted until the 2010s, when they were taken over by Target Canada.

They tested out some Sears prototypes in some former Kmart locations, including the Kmart store in Marietta, Georgia, only to be converted back to a Kmart store a few months later, due to poor sales as a Sears store, this time, Kmart's interior is more upscale, with some Sears merchandise on the sales floor, and has the new red Kmart signage over the front entrance on the exterior of the store.

dmx10101

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 12, 2014, 05:39:21 PM

If Kmart decided to close all their stores, it would be just as bad as (or worse than) when Ames or Venture closed.

If Kmart USA were to close, then Kmart's Australian stores would be all that remain of Kresge's big box chain.

Kmart Canada would file for bankruptcy four years later and be bought out by Zellers.

They tested out some Sears prototypes in some former Kmart locations, including the Kmart store in Marietta, Georgia, only to be converted back to a Kmart store a few months later, due to poor sales as a Sears store, this time, Kmart's interior is more upscale, with some Sears merchandise on the sales floor, and has the new red Kmart signage over the front entrance on the exterior of the store.

The Kmart you're refering to in Marietta is closing. They started their going out of business sale a couple weeks ago.

The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

zonemad96

I really think it's to late for kmart. When people hear the name kmart they think of rundown and unorganized stores, hell some people think they went out of business years ago. Then theirs their identity crisis...

Let's put the word mart in the k! NO! let's add the word BIG in front of it and slightly change the store that will bring them in, now lets drop the word big and make it gray and lime green!? Nope that didn't work lets just go back to the red k but have the word kmart underneath. Oh man now their really not coming in QUICK change the name of the store completely now it will be Sears Essentials NOPE! just kidding! Sears Grand! NOPE! Kmart! What the hell are they doing?

The only way to fix Kmart is years of dedication from someone who can actually run the company properly and money and at the moment neither is to be found. Kmart needs to be brought out of the early 90's and all stores need to be converted to one format and one logo until that happens their stores will keep going further and further downhill until bankruptcy. As far as Sears goes their really isn't a market for "mid-range" department stores anymore people who are in the mid-range category are trying to save a buck and go to discount department stores like Walmart or Target or they would rather pay a little extra and have upscale brand names.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: zonemad96 on February 13, 2014, 01:35:40 AM
hell some people think they went out of business years ago.

Ding Ding Ding. Give zonemad96 a prize. Maybe a $25 AMES Gift Card. LOL  ;D

Seriously last year my classmates from high school had a get together after 13 years of being out of school and it was held at a Sports Bar in KMART Plaza in Cromwell, Connecticut. A couple of my classmates were like "I thought KMART went out of business years ago!"

Ames Newington

Quote from: Marc B on February 13, 2014, 08:18:37 AM

Seriously last year my classmates from high school had a get together after 13 years of being out of school and it was held at a Sports Bar in KMART Plaza in Cromwell, Connecticut. A couple of my classmates were like "I thought KMART went out of business years ago!"

Believe it or not, the Cromwell Kmart is fairly busy whenever I go there. They need to revamp their stores in order to stay in business, however, I always find whatever I need there. I come all the way from Newington. I hate Walmart and Target is just meh.

Ames Newington

Quote from: dmx10101 on February 12, 2014, 11:28:07 PM

The Kmart you're refering to in Marietta is closing. They started their going out of business sale a couple weeks ago.

It figures they would close a store with the new logo on the building and a remodel. :(

TRU7536

Quote from: Ames Newington on February 13, 2014, 09:25:19 AM

Believe it or not, the Cromwell Kmart is fairly busy whenever I go there. They need to revamp their stores in order to stay in business, however, I always find whatever I need there. I come all the way from Newington. I hate Walmart and Target is just meh.

I have to say, I have the opposite feelings for Kmart in Cromwell. Its so outdated and old and dirty. Reminds me of what ames stores looked like. Old fixtures and it looks like I took a time traveling machine back to the 1980s. I know a lot of people around the Hartford area are surprised Kmart store in Cromwell is still open.

TheFugitive

That photo can't be a Kmart.  The floor is WAY too clean.
;D

Ames Newington

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 13, 2014, 09:46:06 AM
Quote from: Ames Newington on February 13, 2014, 09:25:19 AM

I have to say, I have the opposite feelings for Kmart in Cromwell. Its so outdated and old and dirty. Reminds me of what ames stores looked like. Old fixtures and it looks like I took a time traveling machine back to the 1980s. I know a lot of people around the Hartford area are surprised Kmart store in Cromwell is still open.

I did say they need to update it and clean it up. What I like is the selection they have.

d_fife

Quote from: Ames Newington on February 13, 2014, 09:26:58 AM

It figures they would close a store with the new logo on the building and a remodel. :(

why is it closing?????

MikeRa

Quote from: d_fife on February 12, 2014, 07:15:02 AM

One of mu co-workers at my work told me.  I have'nt seenanything in the Philadelphia Inquirer to confirm this one.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

d_fife

Quote from: MikeRa on February 13, 2014, 04:16:28 PM
Quote from: d_fife on February 12, 2014, 07:15:02 AM

One of mu co-workers at my work told me.  I have'nt seenanything in the Philadelphia Inquirer to confirm this one.

what did he say and why is PHILLY taking a hit, what went wrong with the downtown one?

dmx10101

Quote from: d_fife on February 13, 2014, 01:27:16 PM
Quote from: Ames Newington on February 13, 2014, 09:26:58 AM

why is it closing?????

The store doesn't get any business.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

EddieJ1984

I haven't heard anything and its 3 blocks from me, then again I don't go in Kmart too often.
Also there's one at 3301 Aramingo Avenue, so that's 3 that is still open in Philadelphia.