Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

Quote from: retailisking on January 06, 2014, 07:04:08 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/business/kmart-to-close-3-stores-eliminate-over-300-jobs-b99178509z1-238950551.html

why that state and there will only be 3 left around Milwaukee now! why do some areas suffer more than others? And some areas the numbers of Target and WAlmart greatly outnumber number of Kmarts?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: d_fife on January 06, 2014, 07:19:34 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/business/kmart-to-close-3-stores-eliminate-over-300-jobs-b99178509z1-238950551.html

why that state and there will only be 3 left around Milwaukee now! why do some areas suffer more than others? And some areas the numbers of Target and WAlmart greatly outnumber number of Kmarts?

There are also a very large number of Shopko stores here in Wisconsin as well (over 50+ locations)...

I predict Shopko might outnumber Kmart four to one from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest in ten years.

Target outnumbers Shopko, Walmart, and Kmart in Minnesota.

Meijer, a hypermarket [a store selling both food and general merchandise] based out of Michigan, might acquire a few former Kmart stores in Wisconsin, in order to expand further north in Wisconsin (Meijer has a few stores planned for Milwaukee already.).

I predict that some Kmart stores, like the Shawano store, will become a Shopko store (Why doesn't Shawano have one? It's a Wisconsin city, you know!), while the Green Bay store might become a Meijer hypermarket (If that's what the Green Bay Packers organization has planned for the 'Stadium District' off Lombardi Avenue, we don't know if anything like that is planned.).

d_fife

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 06, 2014, 10:41:23 PM

There are also a very large number of Shopko stores here in Wisconsin as well (over 50+ locations)...

I predict Shopko might outnumber Kmart four to one from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest in ten years.

Meijer, a hypermarket [a store selling both food and general merchandise] based out of Michigan, might acquire a few former Kmart stores in Wisconsin, in order to expand further north in Wisconsin (Meijer has a few stores planned for Milwaukee already.).

I predict that some Kmart stores, like the Shawano store, will become a Shopko store (Why doesn't Shawano have one? It's a Wisconsin city, you know!), while the Green Bay store might become a Meijer hypermarket (If that's what the Green Bay Packers organization has planned for the 'Stadium District' off Lombardi Avenue, we don't know if anything like that is planned.).

are you saying Kmart in green bay will close?

Quote from: d_fife on January 06, 2014, 10:50:20 PM

Not until 2018...

d_fife

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 06, 2014, 11:04:40 PM

Not until 2018...

will it close then? Green bay cant be without a Kmart. all Kmart does is walk away instead of relocate.

Quote from: d_fife on January 06, 2014, 11:11:07 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 06, 2014, 11:04:40 PM

Not until 2018...

will it close then? Green bay cant be without a Kmart. all Kmart does is walk away instead of relocate.
Green Bay can be without a Kmart. Kmart doesn't close down without a reason. Most Kmart (and Sears) stores often close down because of competition from other retailers including the locations you read about. Kmart can't afford to relocate. Not when American people show little interest in Kmart, due to competing retailers offering a larger number of the very same items at lower prices.

Green Bay has lost H.C. Prange department store in 1992, Prange Way discount store in 1995, and Montgomery Ward department store in 2000, so I have a running bet the Kmart discount store and the Sears department store will be next...

d_fife

whats the chances Kmart will close in Green Bay then?

Kmart needs to REVIVE

this one is closing too http://montgomery.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/local-kmart-closing-soon-montgomery   and the western suburbs of chicago wont have many kmarts if not one. All Kmart does is walk away. Why is the MID WEST now getting the brunt of Kmart closings more than any other part of the US now?

d_fife

what is with Kmarts shrinking presence around Chicago, all they do is walk away! like many that have closed are in areas where the shopping has deteroirated, in older buildings and in areas that will be leveled by the shopping area, so they just walk away

retailisking

Kmart is walking away everywhere, not just in Chicagoland.

d_fife

Quote from: retailisking on January 07, 2014, 05:14:09 PM

soem areas Kmart closed the area got to where not much is around it and the building is older, why not OPEN NEW STORES where the shopping movies!!

Kmart needs to REVIVE, NOT KEEP SHRINKING. Chicagoland has 20 stores left. they had more

sine the Sears Merger, they have been closing a lot in Florida and Illinois (Why Illinois, its NEAR MICHIGAN THEIR STRONGHOLD!)

Quote from: retailisking on January 07, 2014, 05:14:09 PM
I agree. Kmart and Sears are walking away everywhere, coast to coast. They can't compete with Walmart, Target, regional retail stores like Shopko, Meijer, Rose's, Bealls Texas, Bealls Florida, Fred Meyer, Duckwall-ALCO and in Sears' case, can't compete with JCPenney, Belk, the Bon Ton stores (Younkers, Boston Store, Elder-Beerman, Profitt's, Bergner's, Carson Pirie Scott), Boscov's, Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom and other retailers.

d_fife

they should do somethign to compete?

but why has there been an increasing number of closings around Chicagoland? there was many more before the SEars Kmart merger.

bubcolbert1952

Kmart just announced their Southwest Philadelphia store is closing (didn't say exactly when) which is a shame because it was the last Kmart to have both a pharmacy and a snack bar out of all of them in Greater Philadelphia. It's a shock this store is closing because it's one of three former Clover stores in Philly that became Kmart instead of Kohl's, and helped Kmart compete well with Walmart (at least in the five years before the Kmart bankruptcy in 2002 and merger with Sears soon after) right as Walmart was entering the area. I get the feeling Home Depot or Lowe's (but also possibly Sam's Club, BJ's, or maybe Costco) will open at this former Kmart site. Kmart also bought a lot of stores from Venture (a department store chain very similar to Clover) in the South and Midwest, and Venture went out of business in 1997, less than a year after Clover. The 70's Kmart just two or three miles north of this Southwest Philly store (the older Kmart was in the heart of South Philly) closed I think in 2010, and now is split between Ross Dress for Less and Burlington Coat Factory. It's impressive that this store coexisted for over 15 years with a Walmart less than a mile away, but closed when Walmart did a major remodel of the store to add groceries, which I'm sure must have really hurt the Super Fresh across the street, which opened at the same time as the Walmart around 1995, coincidentally the same year Jamesway was driven out of business I think by Walmart (but the closest Jamesway to here was in Bensalem about 10 miles north, and it may have closed a few years before the rest of the chain. This store is now a Home Depot).

Walmart has announced plans to open at the former Gimbels/Sears site in nearby Upper Darby, which is very accessible from SEPTA public transportation as is the closing Kmart, so perhaps this was the motivation for the closure. I get the feeling the Kmart in Center City Philadelphia, which happened to itself be both a former Gimbels and a former Clover, will also close once Walmart opens, because SEPTA is also very accessible to this Kmart. I get the feeling Boscov's will open at this site once Kmart is gone, because Macy's has a store next door that would complement a Boscov's, and the former Gimbels at Granite Run Mall in Media west of Philly has been a Boscov's for the last 20 years. Kmart has a third store in Philadelphia County (in the northeastern section) which started as a Clover, which survives despite competition from several Walmarts in and around Northeast Philly. Unfortunately when Kmart moved a 70's store to this Clover site, the Acme next door closed without being replaced. The whole shopping center (which to be fair only had a few small shops other than Acme and Kmart) was converted into an industrial park after the former Acme was a furniture store for a relatively short time, closing around 2000.

Acme had a store next door that opened I think in 1979, before Clover was added to the plaza in 1986, even though most Clover stores opened in the 70's. This Acme was given a major remodel and expansion by Albertsons in 2000, but closed in 2005, perhaps because Giant opened in nearby Lansdowne less than a year earlier. This Acme is now a ShopRite, which is really surprising because Acme closed a small store from the 70's in nearby Yeadon that started as a Super Saver, yet this very obsolete store in the middle of nowhere was blocked by Acme's legal department from becoming another supermarket, though IGA was able to get permission to open a tiny store (like a corner store but in a shopping center) in a third of the building, which closed anyway after a very short life, perhaps also due to the Giant opening in Lansdowne. Save-A-Lot closed their store in Yeadon too, less than a block from the former Acme/Super Saver/IGA, but it lasted a long time. Ironically this store started as a Genuardi's a LONG time ago, but closed long before Genuardi's made the decision in the 80's to focus on having big stores in rich suburbs (Yeadon is a very poor area). It's even more ironic that Genuardi's ended up being bought by Safeway, which runs stores of all shapes and sizes in all kinds of neighborhoods. And former Acmes in Lansdowne and West Philly both ended up as Save-A-Lot, but the one in West Philly was briefly a Thriftway in between, and a small portion of the former Acme/Thriftway is now a Family Dollar.

There also was an Acme from 1964 next to the 70's Kmart in South Philly, and this Acme closed in 2002, at the same time as an Acme in West Philly that started as a Penn Fruit and now is a Ross Dress for Less. This Acme amazingly had the current Acme logo, which is weird considering it closed early in Albertsons ownership of Acme. I'm thinking it was given this logo around 1995 when it was brand new, but Albertsons closed a number of stores of their own in 2002 that opened as late as 2000...

Zayre88

MikeRa

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on January 09, 2014, 12:14:44 AM
Kmart just announced their Southwest Philadelphia store is closing (didn't say exactly when) which is a shame because it was the last Kmart to have both a pharmacy and a snack bar out of all of them in Greater Philadelphia. It's a shock this store is closing because it's one of three former Clover stores in Philly that became Kmart instead of Kohl's, and helped Kmart compete well with Walmart (at least in the five years before the Kmart bankruptcy in 2002 and merger with Sears soon after) right as Walmart was entering the area. I get the feeling Home Depot or Lowe's (but also possibly Sam's Club, BJ's, or maybe Costco) will open at this former Kmart site. Kmart also bought a lot of stores from Venture (a department store chain very similar to Clover) in the South and Midwest, and Venture went out of business in 1997, less than a year after Clover. The 70's Kmart just two or three miles north of this Southwest Philly store (the older Kmart was in the heart of South Philly) closed I think in 2010, and now is split between Ross Dress for Less and Burlington Coat Factory. It's impressive that this store coexisted for over 15 years with a Walmart less than a mile away, but closed when Walmart did a major remodel of the store to add groceries, which I'm sure must have really hurt the Super Fresh across the street, which opened at the same time as the Walmart around 1995, coincidentally the same year Jamesway was driven out of business I think by Walmart (but the closest Jamesway to here was in Bensalem about 10 miles north, and it may have closed a few years before the rest of the chain. This store is now a Home Depot).

Walmart has announced plans to open at the former Gimbels/Sears site in nearby Upper Darby, which is very accessible from SEPTA public transportation as is the closing Kmart, so perhaps this was the motivation for the closure. I get the feeling the Kmart in Center City Philadelphia, which happened to itself be both a former Gimbels and a former Clover, will also close once Walmart opens, because SEPTA is also very accessible to this Kmart. I get the feeling Boscov's will open at this site once Kmart is gone, because Macy's has a store next door that would complement a Boscov's, and the former Gimbels at Granite Run Mall in Media west of Philly has been a Boscov's for the last 20 years. Kmart has a third store in Philadelphia County (in the northeastern section) which started as a Clover, which survives despite competition from several Walmarts in and around Northeast Philly. Unfortunately when Kmart moved a 70's store to this Clover site, the Acme next door closed without being replaced. The whole shopping center (which to be fair only had a few small shops other than Acme and Kmart) was converted into an industrial park after the former Acme was a furniture store for a relatively short time, closing around 2000.

Acme had a store next door that opened I think in 1979, before Clover was added to the plaza in 1986, even though most Clover stores opened in the 70's. This Acme was given a major remodel and expansion by Albertsons in 2000, but closed in 2005, perhaps because Giant opened in nearby Lansdowne less than a year earlier. This Acme is now a ShopRite, which is really surprising because Acme closed a small store from the 70's in nearby Yeadon that started as a Super Saver, yet this very obsolete store in the middle of nowhere was blocked by Acme's legal department from becoming another supermarket, though IGA was able to get permission to open a tiny store (like a corner store but in a shopping center) in a third of the building, which closed anyway after a very short life, perhaps also due to the Giant opening in Lansdowne. Save-A-Lot closed their store in Yeadon too, less than a block from the former Acme/Super Saver/IGA, but it lasted a long time. Ironically this store started as a Genuardi's a LONG time ago, but closed long before Genuardi's made the decision in the 80's to focus on having big stores in rich suburbs (Yeadon is a very poor area). It's even more ironic that Genuardi's ended up being bought by Safeway, which runs stores of all shapes and sizes in all kinds of neighborhoods. And former Acmes in Lansdowne and West Philly both ended up as Save-A-Lot, but the one in West Philly was briefly a Thriftway in between, and a small portion of the former Acme/Thriftway is now a Family Dollar.

There also was an Acme from 1964 next to the 70's Kmart in South Philly, and this Acme closed in 2002, at the same time as an Acme in West Philly that started as a Penn Fruit and now is a Ross Dress for Less. This Acme amazingly had the current Acme logo, which is weird considering it closed early in Albertsons ownership of Acme. I'm thinking it was given this logo around 1995 when it was brand new, but Albertsons closed a number of stores of their own in 2002 that opened as late as 2000...

with this Kmart at Penrose Plaza closing, the it will be 1 less Kmart in Philadelphia.

I am surprised they are still keeping the Kmarts in Feasterville and Langhorne/Levittown (Middletown Township) open, since they are the first Kmarts to open in the Philadelphia area, both back in 1976, and the Bensalem Kmart (Opened 1980 in a former J. M. Fields location)
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

MikeRa

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on January 10, 2014, 07:09:26 PM
No, but it's the Center City store that was first Gimbels, and secondly Clover. Instead of Boscov's maybe Wegmans will open at the site.
Before Gimbels and the Gallery was built on the site, there was a older S. S. Kresge store that there until 1973/74.

In-between Gimbels and Clover, this location was a Stern's until 1992.  It was 1 of 2 Gimbels that were, as Stern's, forced to stay open longer than the rest.  The other was at Echelon Mall (itself a former Lit Brothers, now Boscov's)

bubcolbert1952

Actually the JM Fields in Bensalem may have become a Kmart as early as 1976 (assuming neither of us know for sure) because they closed at least one store that early, in Glenolden PA, which became a Two Guys/Jefferson Ward/Bradlees and now is a Walmart that was remodeled in the last three years. Maybe Food Fair Inc closed a few JM Fields early to finance their acquisition of Penn Fruit? It's a shame JM Fields decided so early to shrink instead of grow, because they could have done well with some of the former Grant City stores that were closing in 1975. I guess Woolco had no idea even in the later 70's that they wouldn't survive the 80's, because they bought at least one former Grant City (in Clementon NJ, which I guess didn't appeal to Kmart after either defunct tenant closed, and sat empty a very long time). Bradlees and Ames could have each learned from the mistakes of Two Guys and Woolco respectively in those chains' later years, but both Bradlees and Ames gobbled up a lot of former Caldor stores which was a questionable decision. Ames gobbled up a lot of former Jamesway stores but that was a good strategy it seemed. I figure Ames probably had their eyes on the former Bradlees too but it was too late. It's ironic that the former Grant City/Kmart (which closed as a Kmart strangely around the same time as Woolco went under along with A&P in Greater Philly) in Paulsboro NJ became an Ames which closed in the early 90's, yet both Kmart and Ames went bankrupt in 2002. Hey maybe if Ames survived we would have seen them open at some former Kmart sites, or the other way around.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: d_fife on August 01, 2013, 05:12:11 PM
Kmart in Waterbury is CLOSING!!!!!! The one on Wolcott st! http://www.rep-am.com/news/local/741072.txt

So their last day was November 11th. Today was my first time in KMART Plaza since the store closed. It's weird not seeing KMART there any more.  Next time I go to Waterbury I'll see if I can snag some pix. (My Mom bought a new laptop, so I'll be able to use my digital camera with her new laptop. If she doesn't let me use it I will buy one of those throw-away cameras and get my pictures put on a CD ad upload them that way."

d_fife

Quote from: Marc B on January 13, 2014, 01:34:40 PM
Quote from: d_fife on August 01, 2013, 05:12:11 PM
Kmart in Waterbury is CLOSING!!!!!! The one on Wolcott st! http://www.rep-am.com/news/local/741072.txt

So their last day was November 11th. Today was my first time in KMART Plaza since the store closed. It's weird not seeing KMART there any more.  Next time I go to Waterbury I'll see if I can snag some pix. (My Mom bought a new laptop, so I'll be able to use my digital camera with her new laptop. If she doesn't let me use it I will buy one of those throw-away cameras and get my pictures put on a CD ad upload them that way."

is the whole Wolcott st area drying up?

one in Winter Park FL announced today its closing

KMART NEEDS TO STOP THE BLEEDING BEFORE IN A COUPLE YEARS, they will be below 1000 stores.

shakethis1234

Fulton Kmart closed for good yesterday Jan 12 2014 this store was the nicest kmart in Central New York

d_fife

Quote from: shakethis1234 on January 13, 2014, 09:49:15 PM
Fulton Kmart closed for good yesterday Jan 12 2014 this store was the nicest kmart in Central New York

what was wrong wit hthe store?

shakethis1234

Fulton kmart was build in wrong location when you can drive 13 miles to Clay Ny has everything you need. This store had little Caesars Pharmacy Garden Center I posted pics of this store about month ago, didn't help a college bought the plaza and became Kmarts landloard

d_fife

Quote from: shakethis1234 on January 13, 2014, 10:33:21 PM
Fulton kmart was build in wrong location when you can drive 13 miles to Clay Ny has everything you need. This store had little Caesars Pharmacy Garden Center I posted pics of this store about month ago, didn't help a college bought the plaza and became Kmarts landloard

in the end why was its hours 10 to 7?

shakethis1234

Store got no traffic after 7pm. When P&C closed their store in 2009 it hurt kmart traffic and sallys beauty supply Cutting crew Radio Shake Quiznos king wok Hallmark all pulled and dollar tree stayed on. Then in 2011 Cayuga Community College bought the P&C store from a firm Tops sold to when they took over P&C and then bought the plaza for future expansion. Cayuga said kmart and dollar tree can stay. Dollar Tree renewed their lease last year with a clause saying if kmart closes were out.
heres a link Former owner still has the site plan never took it off the site http://www.widewaters.com/images/riverglennsquare.pdf

shakethis1234

if you click on that site I posted fulton kmart its going to show a picture of the plaza in the back round was the First and oldest Former chocolate factory in the united states was nestle's closed in 2003 moved production to mexico.

d_fife

they need to get a CEO THAT CAN AND WILL TURN THE COMPANY AROUND

people and analysts find Kmart to be hurt and Littleton.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: d_fife on January 13, 2014, 01:36:24 PM
is the whole Wolcott st area drying up?

When you posted this I didn't think so, but after what was announced today I changed my mind. My post below shows what hasd closed on Wolcott Street in the past year. And an announcement today about 2 business moving off of Wolcott Street.

http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=3385.msg55996#msg55996

MikeRa

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on January 12, 2014, 01:32:53 AM
Actually the JM Fields in Bensalem may have become a Kmart as early as 1976 (assuming neither of us know for sure) because they closed at least one store that early, in Glenolden PA, which became a Two Guys/Jefferson Ward/Bradlees and now is a Walmart that was remodeled in the last three years. Maybe Food Fair Inc closed a few JM Fields early to finance their acquisition of Penn Fruit? It's a shame JM Fields decided so early to shrink instead of grow, because they could have done well with some of the former Grant City stores that were closing in 1975. I guess Woolco had no idea even in the later 70's that they wouldn't survive the 80's, because they bought at least one former Grant City (in Clementon NJ, which I guess didn't appeal to Kmart after either defunct tenant closed, and sat empty a very long time). Bradlees and Ames could have each learned from the mistakes of Two Guys and Woolco respectively in those chains' later years, but both Bradlees and Ames gobbled up a lot of former Caldor stores which was a questionable decision. Ames gobbled up a lot of former Jamesway stores but that was a good strategy it seemed. I figure Ames probably had their eyes on the former Bradlees too but it was too late. It's ironic that the former Grant City/Kmart (which closed as a Kmart strangely around the same time as Woolco went under along with A&P in Greater Philly) in Paulsboro NJ became an Ames which closed in the early 90's, yet both Kmart and Ames went bankrupt in 2002. Hey maybe if Ames survived we would have seen them open at some former Kmart sites, or the other way around.
The only reason why I used the 1979/80 date is when all the Pantry Pride and
Penn Fruit locations in Philadelphia closed.  Joshaustin610 on Flickr also uses the 1980 date.  Joseph R 33990 on flick suggested that Jefferson Ward was supposed to acquire this location, but instead acquired the Two Guys location, which was a mile west of this locationand took the time to refurbish it.

d_fife

I mean in many areas the number of Targets and Walmarts outnumber the number of KMARTS, why?  IF Kmart built a new store, give an idea what it would look like
a month ago I Wen to the LAST KMART they ever built, it opened in 2002 in Somers Point NJ.

ITS CLOSING (the one on FREEDOM DR in Charlotte), surprised? http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/LocalAdHome?storeId=10151&catalogId=10104&storeUnitNumber=4137   why NOT BUILD ANOTHER KMART in the Charlotte city limits or does all Kmart do is Walk away

katnapped

Exton, PA store will be "recaptured" by the mall owner when the store's lease runs out 2 years from now, so that's another one on its way out...