Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimSawhill

Quote from: d_fife on September 22, 2013, 03:59:43 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 22, 2013, 03:45:18 PM
Kmart and Sears is going the way of A&P supermarkets, regional discount stores like Ames, Zayre, and Hills, pre-Bell System divestiture AT&T, and Standard Oil. That's going to depress a lot of people who grew up shopping these stores for clothes, shoes, electronics, toys, furniture, sporting goods, and groceries. I predict that years from now, Kmart and Sears as a retailer will cease to exist.

how can Kmart and Sears reinvent?

First KMart and Sears needs to become separate companies!!  Then this would be how I would change KMart and Sears:

1) For Sears:

1) Go back and promote appliances and clothing, tools and sporting goods.

2)Advertise Craftman, Kenmore, Canyon River Blue and other private label brands. Promote American Jobs by making sure the private labels are made in the USA.

3)Remodel stores and make it more upscale looking.

2) For KMart:

1)Rename 25% of the stores in New England Caldor, another 25% to Ames, 20% to Caldor, 10% to Rich's, 5% to King's.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 22, 2013, 03:45:18 PM
Kmart and Sears is going the way of A&P supermarkets, regional discount stores like Ames, Zayre, and Hills, pre-Bell System divestiture AT&T, and Standard Oil. That's going to depress a lot of people who grew up shopping these stores for clothes, shoes, electronics, toys, furniture, sporting goods, and groceries. I predict that years from now, Kmart and Sears as a retailer will cease to exist.

1. Sears Holdings should sell Kmart and Sears to Shopko Stores, inc. of Green Bay, Wisconsin.

2. All Kmart and (single-story) Sears stores should be converted to Shopko stores.

JimSawhill

Close the KMart at Dale Mabry and Columbus Ave in Tampa. They hate to help anyone in there!!

Kmart Canada's slogan in its final years (1990-1997) was "Canadian Made".

d_fife

MORE (6 stores) are announcing closures.

scottw73

I hate to say this, but I believe K-Mart is done, stick a fork in it, it's done. With all of these closings, it won't be long until there is nothing left.  Nice job Sears

d_fife

Quote from: scottw73 on October 15, 2013, 06:19:51 PM
I hate to say this, but I believe K-Mart is done, stick a fork in it, it's done. With all of these closings, it won't be long until there is nothing left.  Nice job Sears

why did this start all of a sudden for a while there would NEVER be any closings oh for like a store or two a year maybe and no more than that.

scottw73

They're trying to stop the hemorrhaging, but unfortunately you can only put so many fingers in the hole, before you run out of fingers to use.

Quote from: scottw73 on October 15, 2013, 06:19:51 PM

...which means the only Kmart stores left on this planet will be in Australia and New Zealand. Those locations were once 51% owned by Kresge/Kmart Corp. US, but were later wholly owned by Australian retail company Coles-Myer, whose assets were later sold to Wesfarmers Ltd.

shakethis1234

Kmart in Fulton NY is closing open in 1995 Closing in January 2014 their lease is up in 2018 but Cayuga Community College bought the Plaza 2011and is letting them out of their lease Phase one is done P&C store became the college in 2012. This kmart in fulton is prolly one of the nicest kmarts left 94sf still has little ceasars 54 employees will be let go.

d_fife

Quote from: shakethis1234 on October 16, 2013, 08:12:04 AM
Kmart in Fulton NY is closing open in 1995 Closing in January 2014 their lease is up in 2018 but Cayuga Community College bought the Plaza 2011and is letting them out of their lease Phase one is done P&C store became the college in 2012. This kmart in fulton is prolly one of the nicest kmarts left 94sf still has little ceasars 54 employees will be let go.

why was its hours from 10-7 mo-sat and 10-6 sundays.

ynkeesfn82

Rumor: A friend of a friend works at a pizza place across the street from the soon-to-close KMART in Waterbury, CT and they told my friend they ran into someone from Tartaglia Commercial Properties (Owner of KMART Plaza) and was told they are in negotiations with Christmas Tree Shoppe to take part of the KMART Space. Of course if that's the case there will still be space leftover.

d_fife

Quote from: Marc B on October 20, 2013, 05:04:18 AM
Rumor: A friend of a friend works at a pizza place across the street from the soon-to-close KMART in Waterbury, CT and they told my friend they ran into someone from Tartaglia Commercial Properties (Owner of KMART Plaza) and was told they are in negotiations with Christmas Tree Shoppe to take part of the KMART Space. Of course if that's the case there will still be space leftover.

where you surprised of Kmart closing?

shakethis1234

Fulton Kmart was dead that's the reason it was open 10-7 the college next door kept little caesars open Walmart open in fulton in 2008 surprised kmart lasted this long the store use to be open 8-10 mon - sat 8-8 on sunday

d_fife

Quote from: shakethis1234 on October 20, 2013, 05:15:38 PM
Fulton Kmart was dead that's the reason it was open 10-7 the college next door kept little caesars open Walmart open in fulton in 2008 surprised kmart lasted this long the store use to be open 8-10 mon - sat 8-8 on sunday

how often was the store dead why was it when its a nice looking store

Sebastian S. Kresge and Richard Sears will be rolling in their graves if they knew that the stores they founded are going downhill.   :(

buzz86us

I like the K-Marts in NYC ... it is nice to be able to get to a store in the middle of Manhattan that doesn't have the BS markups common to the city if K-Mart goes down I hope Target buys them out! The K-Mart in Penn Station is great! There is also one near NYU.. I almost got sick on vacation and they had a sale on generic nyquil for $2.50 for the bottle. I thought I was gonna have to pay like $10..
One location that I am surprised is still open is the one in Fremont Ohio..It is so dead and with a wal-mart just down the road i have no reason to set foot in there. There is also one in Baltimore in a plaza that looks ghetto as hell I am surprised that one is still operating.

retailisking

This is at least the second Sears Holdings reversal this year after the Sears in Presque Isle, ME got a reprieve in July
http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/Belvidere-K-Mart-to-Close-227760641.html

d_fife

Quote from: retailisking on October 25, 2013, 02:10:26 PM
This is at least the second Sears Holdings reversal this year after the Sears in Presque Isle, ME got a reprieve in July
http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/Belvidere-K-Mart-to-Close-227760641.html

are you sure?

bubcolbert1952

I have a question for any of you who might know... and I would appreciate any help with this because I've been wondering this for years: did Kmart ever officially ban smoking at the diners/snack bars in their stores? I'm not asking about governmental smoking bans, but rather a company-wide policy that occurred before the many laws banning smoking were passed in the past decade or two.

Also, is it my imagination or did some of the Super Kmart stores have smoking in the arcades that many of them had? I vaguely recall seeing smoking in one of them in Virginia around 1993, not long after the store opened.

It seems Walmart never officially banned smoking in their store eateries, but no new Walmart opened after 2000 would ever have allowed smoking. Most of their stores in the 90's had smoking in the snack bar (most of which were called "Radio Grill") but the in-store McDonald's were smoke free, due to McDonald's company policies, but I guess it would be remotely possible that some of the stores with McDonald's had smoking arcades. Around 2000, as lots of the high-volume smaller, older Walmart stores began either expanding to the Supercenter format or moving to brand new Supercenters across the street, it seems smoking was banned at the stores one by one, gradually. Snack bars at stores that moved became non-smoking from day 1 of the new location opening, and usually the snack bars were moved to a new location within stores that were expanded, so the new snack bars would be non-smoking from the beginning. I'm not sure what the company policy was though for smoking at arcades (but lots of the arcades closed over time anyway) or at stores with Radio Grill that were always Supercenters.

ynkeesfn82

One of the local TV stations here in Connecticut is making a big deal because KMART is open on Thanksgiving Day. KMART has been open on Thanksgiving Day for as long as I can remember.

When my father was still alive he and I would always go to the Thanksgiving Day Breakfast at the VFW. I remember one year on our way to the breakfast we stopped at the now defunct KMART in Plainville, CT on Thanksgiving because they had a CD on sale that I wanted. That was more than 10 years ago because that KMART has been closed for 8 or 9 yeats.

buzz86us

The K-Mart in Penn Station makes me feel like I time traveled back to the 90s... here you have a big bustling city everything is all modern then you go into K-Mart and it is dull as hell. Kind of a cool contrast.

ynkeesfn82

SHC does not care about KMART. Their commercials recently have been so stupid that a lot of people (myself included) are turned off by them. I won't shop there and it's not just because I work at Walmart. Have you seen the commercial for the Thanksgiving Night Sale? UGH.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on November 24, 2013, 08:18:48 AM
SHC does not care about KMART. Their commercials recently have been so stupid that a lot of people (myself included) are turned off by them. I won't shop there and it's not just because I work at Walmart. Have you seen the commercial for the Thanksgiving Night Sale? UGH.

Here is said commercial. It's called "Gift Out". It's one of several versions of the commercial they're airing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zNZ_0Mp9ZI

shakethis1234

Fulton kmart closing I took this pic today little Caesars last day was Friday nov 29

shakethis1234

Closed little Caesars last day was nov 29 store announce it was closing late September but stayed open this long because of the college

shakethis1234

Another pic fulton kmart

shakethis1234

Former p&c turned into cayuga community college phase 1

shakethis1234

This was the small store fronts between kmart former p&c whole shopping center is being transformed into a campus

shakethis1234

Dollar tree closing jan 2014 when kmart closes