Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

I went to Kmart in Portsmouth Saturday and many of the isles are gone its 30 to 60 percent off. Did anyone notice the parking lot there was ALWAYS BARE. how well does Rochester do?
[/quote]

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Pikapower on August 05, 2013, 04:29:57 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 05, 2013, 07:15:41 AM
I predict that if Kmart and Sears goes under, that some locations be sold to Shopko, and others will be sold to Meijer, but both stores would likely demolish the old Kmart and Sears stores and build new stores on the same site.

Shopko would likely take the locations at shopping malls filling the void left by a Sears or Kmart that once anchored the shopping mall (Shopko stores anchor numerous shopping malls and strip malls as well as big box power centers in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan's upper peninsula, as well as stores as faraway as Washington state, Nebraska, and Idaho.)

As for Meijer, they would likely take most of the larger free-standing former Kmart, Super Kmart, and large single-story Sears locations and convert those to Meijer hypermarkets, unless they are structurally unsound, they would tear down and build new.

Shopko, Target, Kohl's, or Big Lots would take over the single-story Sears locations that currently anchor single-story shopping malls.

Most Sears, two stories or more, could become Boscov's, Target (the stores would have to be modified to include special sets of escalators that can accommodate both people and shopping carts called "Vermaports"), or if the mall can handle upscale anchors, Bloomingdale's, Macy's, Nordstrom, or Lord & Taylor.
What about TJMaxx taking up some of the single-story Sears stores if Sears goes under?
That would work too. And some Kmart store could also be converted to TJ Maxx/HomeGoods combo stores, Gordman's, Toys "R" Us toy stores, some could become ACE Hardware, True Value, Menards, or Do It Best Hardware stores, some free-standing Kmart stores could become Tractor Supply Company stores, while others could possibly become Best Buy or Burlington Coat Factory. Other ideas include opening supermarkets inside former Kmart stores including SuperValu or IGA supermarkets. Thrift stores could also work inside most former Kmart stores, including St. Vincent DePaul, Goodwill or The Salvation Army Thrift Store.

ynkeesfn82

A friend of mine thought the KMART location in Waterbury, CT would be a good location for a supermarket. - I don't think so. Shoprite is next door. There's a failing Stop & Shop across the street. Price Chopper already failed in Waterbury (it was where Shoprite is now). I seriously doubt BIG Y would open in Waterbury. He wishes Hannaford would open their first Connecticut store there, but isn't Hannaford's parent company having financial problems? Plus I really don't see Hannaford coming to Connecticut anyway.

BillyGr

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 05, 2013, 07:15:41 AM
That would work too. And some Kmart store could also be converted to TJ Maxx/HomeGoods combo stores, Gordman's, Toys "R" Us toy stores, some could become ACE Hardware, True Value, Menards, or Do It Best Hardware stores, some free-standing Kmart stores could become Tractor Supply Company stores, while others could possibly become Best Buy or Burlington Coat Factory. Other ideas include opening supermarkets inside former Kmart stores including SuperValu or IGA supermarkets. Thrift stores could also work inside most former Kmart stores, including St. Vincent DePaul, Goodwill or The Salvation Army Thrift Store.

In this area one of the previously closed K-Marts did become a Tractor Supply.  This store is part of a stip, but was on the right "end".  They demolished a portion of the right side of the building to create a fenced in outdoor area (as Tractor Supply often has - now why they wouldn't want that area indoors if the building already existed...), and the rest became Tractor (with a small part added onto a couple vacant smaller stores to become Planet Fitness).

d_fife

Quote from: Marc B on August 06, 2013, 07:38:28 PM
A friend of mine thought the KMART location in Waterbury, CT would be a good location for a supermarket. - I don't think so. Shoprite is next door. There's a failing Stop & Shop across the street. Price Chopper already failed in Waterbury (it was where Shoprite is now). I seriously doubt BIG Y would open in Waterbury. He wishes Hannaford would open their first Connecticut store there, but isn't Hannaford's parent company having financial problems? Plus I really don't see Hannaford coming to Connecticut anyway.

how did they know Waterbury was closing?

and are you surprised its closing?

Wouldn't it be great if the current owners of Kmart Australia, Wesfarmers Limited, bought Sears Holdings, and decided to remodel all the remaining American Kmart stores to bring them in line with the Kmart Australia store design, featuring the Kmart Australia logo? I think It would work very well in America, and they could revamp the design of the store exteriors/interiors, newspaper ads, employee uniforms, and nametags. We could dream, can't we?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 15, 2013, 11:43:04 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the current owners of Kmart Australia, Wesfarmers Limited, bought Sears Holdings, and decided to remodel all the remaining American Kmart stores to bring them in line with the Kmart Australia store design, featuring the Kmart Australia logo? I think It would work very well in America, and they could revamp the design of the store exteriors/interiors, newspaper ads, employee uniforms, and nametags. We could dream, can't we?

I honestly don't think this would work. Too many people have a negative opinion about KMART. They're too far gone. What your describing is basically lipstick on a pig. In other words you can dress up a pig and make it look nice, but in the end it's still a pig. The same with what you're talking about because as I said "Too many people have a negative opinion about KMART."

Quote from: Marc B on August 16, 2013, 07:16:29 AM

I honestly don't think this would work. Too many people have a negative opinion about KMART. They're too far gone. What your describing is basically lipstick on a pig. In other words you can dress up a pig and make it look nice, but in the end it's still a pig. The same with what you're talking about because as I said "Too many people have a negative opinion about KMART."
I bet some people felt the same way when Zayre was taken over by Ames, or when Kuhn's Big K was taken over by Wal-Mart, or when Fedmart was taken over by Target.

TRU7536

I be frank, not a fan of Kmart. walked into the one in Cromwell a few weeks ago to find something and walked out after 5 mins. The store is just so outdated, old, and messy. Their fixtures are so old and the whole store is cramped and outdated. Reminded me of what Ames was back when they were open. They weren't even busy, it made a Wal-Mart store look better.

The prices are higher than Target as well

Quote from: TRU7536 on August 18, 2013, 07:54:07 PM

I be frank, not a fan of Kmart. walked into the one in Cromwell a few weeks ago to find something and walked out after 5 mins. The store is just so outdated, old, and messy. Their fixtures are so old and the whole store is cramped and outdated. Reminded me of what Ames was back when they were open. They weren't even busy, it made a Wal-Mart store look better.

I live in Wisconsin, and I think Shopko has better looking stores than Kmart. Plus Shopko's stores are well-stocked. Shopko's only disadvantage is price, given that Target and Walmart have lower prices.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 18, 2013, 09:03:12 PM

I live in Wisconsin, and I think Shopko has better looking stores than Kmart. Plus Shopko's stores are well-stocked. Shopko's only disadvantage is price, given that Target and Walmart have lower prices.
The only disadvantage that I have with Target is that they do have the product selection that I am looking for. At the same time, I would rather pay higher price for American made products at Kmart than waste my hard earned money paying lower price for foreign made products at Wal*Mart and have it break on me forcing me to replace it repeatedly.

If I had a Target Super Center near me, I would gladly give them a chance so I could buy my groceries.

vwnut13

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on August 18, 2013, 09:28:28 PM

The only disadvantage that I have with Target is that they do have the product selection that I am looking for. At the same time, I would rather pay higher price for American made products at Kmart than waste my hard earned money paying lower price for foreign made products at Wal*Mart and have it break on me forcing me to replace it repeatedly.

If I had a Target Super Center near me, I would gladly give them a chance so I could buy my groceries.

Funniest thing I've read all week.  Newsflash, products sold at Kmart are made in china too.

Quote from: vwnut13 on August 19, 2013, 02:26:12 AM
Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on August 18, 2013, 09:28:28 PM

Funniest thing I've read all week.  Newsflash, products sold at Kmart are made in china too.

I agree. Other stores besides Walmart, Kmart and Target where most products are made in China include Shopko, Kohl's, JCPenney, Meijer, Fred Meyer, Toys "R" Us and Costco. Most of the products are made in China because they are cheaper to make there. But not all products are made in China, most Nintendo video games and consoles are made in Japan, LEGO building bricks are made mostly in Denmark, and Little Tikes is starting to make most of their products in the United States again, and some pieces of furniture, such as bookcases are being made in the United States again. The best place to be informed bout American-made products is ABC News's "MADE IN AMERICA" segment. Larry the Cable Guy put it bluntly in the Prilosec OTC commercial: "In America, we don't just make things you want, we make things we didn't even know you want!", so American-made products are slowly, but surely making a comeback.

ABC's "MADE IN AMERICA":
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/MadeInAmerica/

ynkeesfn82

And don't forget a couple months ago Walmart announced it would be spending several billion dollars over the next few years to introduce more "Made in the USA" products.

My predictions for Kmart/Sears Holdings' future:

Kmart and Sears will close more stores.

Sears Holdings will possibly file for bankruptcy, and sell their assets. (Joe Boxer, Lands' End, Craftsman, Thom McAn, DieHard, Kenmore, etc.)

Sears Holdings' assets might be sold piece by piece (Kmart's Thom McAn Shoe endcaps might wind up going to Walmart, since they are also found at Walmart stores in Mexico. Joe Boxer and Land's End will be spun off of SHLD into separate companies. Craftsman, DieHard, and Kenmore products will possibly be sold to The Home Depot).

Sears stores in Canada might be sold to either JCPenney, Kohl's or Macy's.

Kmart locations in Guam and Puerto Rico might be sold to Target.

Zayre88

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 23, 2013, 06:55:29 PM

An easy one! ;)

In the past year, Kmart has been closing nearly 1 to 3 store per month!  This trend is not stopping.

Quote from: Zayre88 on August 25, 2013, 04:27:15 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 23, 2013, 06:55:29 PM

An easy one! ;)

In the past year, Kmart has been closing nearly 1 to 3 store per month!  This trend is not stopping.
Time and time again that could not be more true. Kmart and Sears are dying, and soon the Kmart-branded stores in Australia and New Zealand will be all that's left of the once-great Kresge empire.

I guess a trip to Australia or New Zealand in the future for some of our members of our fan club's forums is in order. There are a lot of interesting things about retailers in other countries outside of Canada we do not know much about. I would like to see how nice an Australian/New Zealand Kmart looks in person, instead of looking at pictures found on the internet (I would like to see the Toys "R" Us-turned-Kmart in Adelaide, New South Wales, Australia that occupies multiple floor of retail space) and see how a Target in Australia compares to a Target in the United States, I would also like to check out the Big W, an Australian discount store that is similar in many ways to the American Walmart stores.

Kmart is dying in North America, but is alive and well in the South Pacific.

Kmart4life

Just found out during my Kmart trip today that Store Manager Nita Pate was arrested for Grand theft after stealing somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,000 or more. I would have never thought she would stoop that low. She was a really good Manager and she made sure that the store was kept neat and clean :o

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Kmart4life on August 27, 2013, 03:32:14 PM
Just found out during my Kmart trip today that Store Manager Nita Pate was arrested for Grand theft after stealing somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,000 or more. I would have never thought she would stoop that low. She was a really good Manager and she made sure that the store was kept neat and clean :o
Why in the world would she do that? That is just terrible.

Kmart4life

I wondered the same thing.

Kmart once sold a wine called "Kmarto" in a few Kmart locations in Gainesville, Florida. I learned that piece of trivia from a Trivial Pursuit board game.

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 06, 2013, 09:15:11 PM
Kmart once sold a wine called "Kmarto" in a few Kmart locations in Gainesville, Florida. I learned that piece of trivia from a Trivial Pursuit board game.

When did K-Mart sold store brand wine?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

d_fife

How does Kmart get better, open new storse and remodel old ones? and Missisppi, TExas and Arkansas have VERY FEW KMARTS, why?

Quote from: Pikapower on September 07, 2013, 06:41:18 AM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 06, 2013, 09:15:11 PM

When did K-Mart sold store brand wine?
In the 1970s and 1980s, in the state of Florida.

http://thehorsedoctor.blogspot.com/2006/11/kmarto-and-other-fine-wines.html

(some of the people commenting on this blog also learned of Kmarto through aforementioned Trivial Pursuit trivia question.)

Here's what a bottle of Kmarto looks like:

d_fife

Cedar RApids last remaining Kmart and Morgantown are closing.

I suppose Kmart and Sears' problems are catching up to them. Talk about bad karma. The Australians and New Zealanders are lucky, because S.S. Kresge's 51% share of Kmart Australia was bought by G.J. Coles & Coy (later Coles Myer), then sold to Wesfarmers Ltd. If Kmart were still half-owned by Kmart U.S.A. right now, Kmart Australia would've been brought down with the American, Canadian, and Czech Republic/Slovakia Kmart operations. Kmart Australia has dodged a bullet back in the 1990s and has been successful ever since.

d_fife

Kmarts in Brookfield WI and the Supercenter in HOmewood are closing I found out today, 4 this month announced. so is ROund BEAch LAke IL

Kmart4life

Found this on narse.org

Sears Crucial Appliance Sales Erode
By Suzanne Kapner
Wall Street Journal
August 23, 2013

Sears Holdings Corp. built its Kenmore brand into the dominant force in U.S. major appliances over the better part of a century. It only took a few years of tinkering by hedge fund manager Eddie Lampert to take it apart.

The breakdown was evident on Thursday, when Sears said weakness in home appliance sales caused a key measure of sales at existing U.S. stores to shrink. That contributed to a poor showing for the three months ended Aug. 3, when Sears' net loss deepened to $194 million as overall sales fell 6.3%.

Sears' Kenmore now ranks behind Whirlpool and GE in the U.S.

Appliances were an odd area for Sears to not do well. Sears essentially invented the business during World War I. Nearly every other manufacturer and retailer is benefiting as the recovery in the housing market spurs sales of dishwashers, washing machines and refrigerators. Home Depot Inc. and Lowe's Cos., which have eroded Sears' market leading position, this week reported double-digit gains in appliance sales.

Sears finished the quarter with its lowest market share in a decade, according to research firm The Stevenson Company. Its shares fell 8.2%, to $39.72, in New York trading on Thursday.

The damage has a number of causes, former Sears executives and employees said. Sears disrupted a key relationship with Whirlpool Corp. that had underpinned the business for decades. Key management positions turned over frequently. Decaying stores that kept customers away hurt appliance departments as well. Executives focused on technological gimmicks like giving sales associates iPads that proved more frustrating than useful. Meanwhile, competitors were building up their appliance businesses.

As recently as 2002, Sears sold four of every 10 major appliances in the U.S., far outpacing its rivals. Its closest competitor, Lowe's, held a 10% market share, and Home Depot held only 4%, according to Stevenson data.

Those sales had knock-on benefits. Customers who came to Sears looking for appliances often shopped for apparel and other items while in the store. Appliances remain a crucial source of revenue, accounting for roughly $7.5 billion in sales in 2012, or 18.8% of the company's total, according to Wall Street Journal calculations.

Sears still holds the top share of retail appliance sales. But that lead has narrowed dramatically. For the 12 months ended June, Sears had a 29% share by value compared with Lowe's 19% and Home Depot's 12%.

Much of Sears' strength in major appliances derived from a long-standing relationship with Whirlpool. The Upton Machine Company, which later became Whirlpool, sold its first washers to Sears in 1916, and Sears took a stake in the company in 1921, when it forgave a loan. Over the years, the companies pioneered products including the first automatic washer in 1947.

Whirlpool also made many products for Sears' 86-year-old Kenmore brand, which generally offered more features at the same price as other brands. It was able to do that, because Whirlpool agreed to give new features like timed dryers and three-cycle washes to Kenmore first before adding them to its own products, people familiar with the arrangement said.

That dynamic changed in 2009 when Sears, in an effort to boost profitability, switched many Kenmore products from Whirlpool to LG Electronics and Samsung Electronics Co., those people said. The newly designed Kenmore products lacked many of the bells and whistles for which the brand was known, and sales suffered, they added.

Once the no. 1 selling appliance brand in the U.S., Kenmore now ranks third behind Whirlpool and General Electric Co., according to Stevenson data.

Sears declined to comment on the company's relationship with manufacturers, as did representatives for Whirlpool and Samsung. An LG spokesman defended its manufacturing, saying "LG brings a higher level of innovation to the relationship." Kenmore will soon release a new Elite Grab-N-Go refrigerator made by LG that houses frequently used items in a separate compartment that can be accessed with the touch of a button.

"In the short term, market share naturally ebbs and flows based on many factors," said Steve Haber, president of Sears' appliance business. "Rather than focus on short-term cycles, we're committed to delivering exceptional experiences that create long-term relationships."

Mr. Haber is the third executive to run its appliance unit in the past five years. Turnover there has contributed to a sense that the business is adrift, a former executive said. Other key jobs such as chief merchant also changed hands, hurting its ability to build supplier relationships, former executives said.

Michael Burti, Sears' general merchandise manager for appliances, left in January 2012 after five years with the company. Steve McClearn, who oversaw strategy and pricing for online and appliances, left in April. Messrs. Burti and McClearn didn't return requests for comment.

A Sears spokesman said the company has made changes to key roles to help transform the business, but added that Sears has a team of experienced staff in place.

The malaise in Sears' appliance business mirrors broader problems at the company since Mr. Lampert gained control of Kmart in 2003 and merged it two years later with Sears in an $11.5 billion deal. Sears hasn't turned a profit since 2010, and sales, which stood at $53 billion when Mr. Lampert took control, fell to $40 billion in 2012, as customer traffic ebbed and Sears sold assets to raise cash.

Mr. Lampert, whose ESL Investments Inc. controls 56.2% of Sears and who became chief executive of the retailer earlier this year, has been criticized for letting stores become run down and for emphasizing technological initiatives over brick and mortar operations even though 97% of Sears sales are done in its more than 2,000 stores.

The company says Kenmore continues to introduce innovative products such as the Kenmore Elite, the biggest front-load washer and dryer on the market. It said Kenmore products routinely get high ratings from consumers, including dishwashers which are rated the highest by J.D. Power and Associates. Other improvements include a loyalty program that has signed up a majority of its shoppers and an initiative to equip store sales staff with iPads so they can more easily look up product information and offer speedy checkouts.

Employees said they like the iPads in theory but have trouble with them in practice. One challenge has been getting Sears' antiquated systems to communicate with the devices, which can lead to frustrating moments when customers and staff are waiting for information, current and former employees said.

That is a particular challenge for appliance sales staff, who rely on the devices to look up product specs. One appliance associate said he has a "love hate" relationship with his iPad. He's supposed to ring up customer purchases on the device, but he often uses the register instead because it is quicker.

"We implemented this capability to give our associates easy access to information at their fingertips," the Sears spokesman said.

Meanwhile, Sears' competitors have been exploiting the gap. Home Depot has expanded its product offerings over the past year by adding Whirlpool, Electrolux, Frigidaire and Samsung brands. Lowe's offersfree next day delivery.

"If the competition continues to focus on appliances and Sears' doesn't do something to make itself relevant, I would expect this share loss to persisteven as the overall appliance market grows," said Matt McGinley, an analyst with researcher ISI Group Inc.

Kmart and Sears is going the way of A&P supermarkets, regional discount stores like Ames, Zayre, and Hills, pre-Bell System divestiture AT&T, and Standard Oil. That's going to depress a lot of people who grew up shopping these stores for clothes, shoes, electronics, toys, furniture, sporting goods, and groceries. I predict that years from now, Kmart and Sears as a retailer will cease to exist.

d_fife

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 22, 2013, 03:45:18 PM
Kmart and Sears is going the way of A&P supermarkets, regional discount stores like Ames, Zayre, and Hills, pre-Bell System divestiture AT&T, and Standard Oil. That's going to depress a lot of people who grew up shopping these stores for clothes, shoes, electronics, toys, furniture, sporting goods, and groceries. I predict that years from now, Kmart and Sears as a retailer will cease to exist.

how can Kmart and Sears reinvent?