Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

The road sign is clearly the wrong Kmart logo, it appears to be the Kmart Australia logo!

JimSawhill

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on February 18, 2013, 08:38:11 PM
Quote from: TRJ_22487 on February 18, 2013, 08:19:15 PM

This is how the White Lake, Michigan K-Mart looked back in May 1989

Wow! That's a really big difference. I've already mentioned it on other posts under this topic, but I like this green and gray version over the orange and brown version, followed by the new version that they are using today with, "Kmart" in red letters over the green and gray version.

Order of Favorite Kmart looks.
1st Place Favorite: New 21st Century look with, "Kmart" in red letters
2nd Place Favorite: Kmart in green and gray
3rd Place Favorite: Original Big Kmart look from the 1990's that is red and blue
4th Place Not A Favorite At All: Kmart in orange and brown

Never saw a green and gray K Mart sign before...

ynkeesfn82

Rumor Unconfirmed: Watertown, Connecticut KMART is on the closing list.

d_fife

Quote from: Marc B on February 23, 2013, 05:21:20 PM
Rumor Unconfirmed: Watertown, Connecticut KMART is on the closing list.

not true

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Zayre88 on February 23, 2013, 09:03:32 AM
The road sign is clearly the wrong Kmart logo, it appears to be the Kmart Australia logo!
I noticed that, too. I wonder why they would do that.

Zayre88

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on February 23, 2013, 08:11:01 PM

Maybe they just didn't get any support from the corporate office when came time to replace the sign and they Googled "Kmart logo" and sent that to the sign company!

AmesNewington

If you become a member of ShopYourWay Rewards with Sears and Kmart, you can access their SYWR website. There are individual store pages on this site, which are maintained by a specific store location and is constantly updated. There are TONS of pictures of the interior of the stores. Store associates take pictures of displays/departments throughout the store to advertise whats on sale or what they have in general at the time. It is pretty interesting. I saw pictures of the inside of the Kmarts in Cromwell, Waterbury, Watertown and Vernon, CT so far.

zonemad96

Quote from: Zayre88 on February 24, 2013, 09:29:30 AM

Maybe they just didn't get any support from the corporate office when came time to replace the sign and they Googled "Kmart logo" and sent that to the sign company!

That's the only possible reason. Corporate wouldn't be so stupid as to send them that sign since its illegal for them to use it, since kmart au is not affiliated with kmart us and kmart au owns the right to that version of the logo.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 08, 2013, 09:55:52 PM
If you become a member of ShopYourWay Rewards with Sears and Kmart, you can access their SYWR website. There are individual store pages on this site, which are maintained by a specific store location and is constantly updated. There are TONS of pictures of the interior of the stores. Store associates take pictures of displays/departments throughout the store to advertise whats on sale or what they have in general at the time. It is pretty interesting. I saw pictures of the inside of the Kmarts in Cromwell, Waterbury, Watertown and Vernon, CT so far.
Where is this link on the website at AmesNewington? I have been a member of ShopYourWay Rewards since 2011 and I have never seen this on their website. Any information would be great.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: zonemad96 on March 08, 2013, 10:23:44 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on February 24, 2013, 09:29:30 AM

That's the only possible reason. Corporate wouldn't be so stupid as to send them that sign since its illegal for them to use it, since kmart au is not affiliated with kmart us and kmart au owns the right to that version of the logo.
That's very true.

AmesNewington

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on March 08, 2013, 10:58:53 PM
Where is this link on the website at AmesNewington? I have been a member of ShopYourWay Rewards since 2011 and I have never seen this on their website. Any information would be great.

The website is seperate from kmart.com. It's called shopyourway.com. Once you are there and in your account, go to "Stores" and enter your zip code or the nearest one to the store you want to see.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 09, 2013, 06:15:54 AM
Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on March 08, 2013, 10:58:53 PM

The website is seperate from kmart.com. It's called shopyourway.com. Once you are there and in your account, go to "Stores" and enter your zip code or the nearest one to the store you want to see.
Thank you very much for that information, AmesNewington.

ynkeesfn82

Stopped at the Big KMART in Cromwell, CT tonight. What a nice store. No I didn't drive all the way to Cromwell just to go to Big MART. I went to a gathering at Chicago Sam's Sports Bar (formerly Rookies) of my high school classmates. 13 years!!!!!!

Oh yeah I also hit a couple pot holes coming and leaving the plaza. Dang gum this is the 2nd KMART where they need to pave the parking lot.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on March 09, 2013, 10:57:37 PM
Stopped at the Big KMART in Cromwell, CT tonight. What a nice store. No I didn't drive all the way to Cromwell just to go to Big MART. I went to a gathering at Chicago Sam's Sports Bar (formerly Rookies) of my high school classmates. 13 years!!!!!!

Oh yeah I also hit a couple pot holes coming and leaving the plaza. Dang gum this is the 2nd KMART where they need to pave the parking lot.

I was just there this morning. You really did like the store? Yes, it's a nice little store. It is clearly worn out in general appearance, but the management keeps the place clean and VERY organized. They are also very helpful here if you need assistance. We have a favorite cashier there too. The thing they need to work on is air control. Today wasn't too bad, but it has been COLD throughout the winter and HOT in the summer. I hope they don't close, because we won't go anywhere else for dept. store needs.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 09, 2013, 11:43:32 PM
I hope they don't close, because we won't go anywhere else for dept. store needs.
I agree with you completely, because I feel the same about my local Kmart Stores as well since I lost Hills in the late 1990's and Ames in the early 2000's.

ynkeesfn82

They are also very helpful here if you need assistance.

I agree. Although I didn't need any assistance I was impressed at all the employees around to offer help at 9:30PM on a Saturday Night - half hour before closing. I bought a small bottle of soda and when the machine at the checkout asked me if I wanted a receipt not only did I get one, but it also printed out several KMART coupons. This was my first KMART purchase since they closed the one in Plainville some 10 years ago.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on March 10, 2013, 06:48:00 AM
They are also very helpful here if you need assistance.

I agree. Although I didn't need any assistance I was impressed at all the employees around to offer help at 9:30PM on a Saturday Night - half hour before closing. I bought a small bottle of soda and when the machine at the checkout asked me if I wanted a receipt not only did I get one, but it also printed out several KMART coupons. This was my first KMART purchase since they closed the one in Plainville some 10 years ago.

I bought all of my furniture for my room here in the past year. Not too shabby for Kmart. They always have a sale on housewares. I also bought a nice RCA TV which was my Christmas gift there. It's a great place to stock up on clothes such as jeans and shirts. 

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 10, 2013, 08:31:14 AM
I bought all of my furniture for my room here in the past year. Not too shabby for Kmart. They always have a sale on housewares. I also bought a nice RCA TV which was my Christmas gift there. It's a great place to stock up on clothes such as jeans and shirts. 
April 1st, 2013 will be the one year anniversary of my moving into a place on my own for the first time. I bought my couch and chair at my local JCPenney Store, but everything else for my house I have purchased at Kmart over the last almost full year. The amount of money that I have given to my local Kmart Stores in the last year has been quite a lot, which in the end makes me feel very good because I know that I am helping keep a store in business that I love and feel very good about shooping at. I also like going to this one Super Kmart Center that varies like about 60/90 minutes away from my house but I usuually go to all three of my local Big Kmart Stores due to the fact that they are much closer.

TRJ_22487

I was shocked to drive past the West Lebanon, NH Kmart last weekend and see it has the newest logo on the building for the first change since the Big K concept launched in the Mid 90's. It has also opened a Little Caesar's, which had always been a Kmart cafe only previously, and now has a Little Caesar's logo on the outside of the building. I had taken photos and posted them in this thread last March when it was about to reopen from its flood closure. It still had the Big K logo at that time, and no Little Caesar's logo. I didn't have my camera this time.

This is the logo on the building now

This was it March 2012 before it opened. It first opened in 1976 and closed in 2011.

d_fife

I hope the Kmart in Watertown sign remains. I wish Colorado Glenwood Springs hadnt closed, I went in the store a few years ago and it was empty and is near a Walmart and Target.

Zayre88

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on March 11, 2013, 05:19:53 PM
I was shocked to drive past the West Lebanon, NH Kmart last weekend and see it has the newest logo on the building for the first change since the Big K concept launched in the Mid 90's.

That one ??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerarddonnelly/8551130051/

TRJ_22487

Quote from: Zayre88 on March 12, 2013, 05:59:01 PM
I was shocked to drive past the West Lebanon, NH Kmart last weekend and see it has the newest logo on the building for the first change since the Big K concept launched in the Mid 90's.

That one ??

Yes, that is not only the logo, it is the store. One of the few left in NH, I have many childhood memories there. My first hamster baked in the hot sun of an all leather black cadillac in front of that Kmart back in 1995 or so. My stepdad had offered to watch it for me, and I was afraid of him, so I took the pet with me. A sad fate for that hamster to say the least! I also happened to be there the day the Big-K logo went up (I've incidentally caught a few logos being changed on stores over the years by mere coincidence) I would have loved to have seen this plaza in the 70's when it was anchored with Grand Union (to this day I'm not sure which area of the subdivision was the grocery store)

I've always been surprised that I've never really been able to find vintage photos of West Lebanon. It was probably my favorite town in the 90's. It had the best Rich's/Ames I've ever seen. The Ames was so nice when they converted it. I remember some aisles such as toys were positioned at 45degree angles from the corners which was unusual for most Ames. I used to love hitting up Kay-Bee Toys/Coconuts/Richs-Ames/Booksmith/Olympia Sports that was near JCPenney all in that one little strip, in that order. Except for maybe Olympia it is all long gone, and then the Connecticut River flooded and really killed the plaza. But that was a populated town even back then, I'm surprised old pictures just don't seem to exist of any of that area. There used to be a bunch of Grand Unions and none of them exist anymore. There used to be a TCBY/Card Shop in the plaza near the Weathervane restaurant. I used to go to that card shop all the time. I was there when they demolished the old Burger King (again incidentally). There was a Ponderosa around where they eventually built the giant Walmart plaza.... There used to be a TON of video stores, even Shaws across from the Kmart plaza used to rent video games and movies in the 90's. Those were the gold days.  Amazingly there is still one Videostop location still open after all these years. I can remember going to the closing of one of the other few Videostops back in 2002 and buying many of their videogames, that location is now a small Dunkin Donuts. There is actually another video store absolutely buried in the Glen Brook plaza, which is a mishmash of small stores with no large anchor. I stopped in there a few days ago thinking it was a place to buy old videogames, and not a video store. It was incredibly small, and the only people inside were me and two workers. I did a lap around the store and left, it was such an awkward environment to accidentally walk into...

TRU7536

How old are the Cromwell and Waterbuty stores? I found this picture from the the grand opening of Kmart Vernon from 1975. Got to admit, those buildings along with the former one in Southington and Manchester are pretty old.

I admit, not a fan of Kmart, been once or twice in my life, just looks so cheap to me.

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on March 13, 2013, 05:19:11 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on March 12, 2013, 05:59:01 PM

That one ??

Yes, that is not only the logo, it is the store. One of the few left in NH, I have many childhood memories there. My first hamster baked in the hot sun of an all leather black cadillac in front of that Kmart back in 1995 or so. My stepdad had offered to watch it for me, and I was afraid of him, so I took the pet with me. A sad fate for that hamster to say the least! I also happened to be there the day the Big-K logo went up (I've incidentally caught a few logos being changed on stores over the years by mere coincidence) I would have loved to have seen this plaza in the 70's when it was anchored with Grand Union (to this day I'm not sure which area of the subdivision was the grocery store)

I've always been surprised that I've never really been able to find vintage photos of West Lebanon. It was probably my favorite town in the 90's. It had the best Rich's/Ames I've ever seen. The Ames was so nice when they converted it. I remember some aisles such as toys were positioned at 45degree angles from the corners which was unusual for most Ames. I used to love hitting up Kay-Bee Toys/Coconuts/Richs-Ames/Booksmith/Olympia Sports that was near JCPenney all in that one little strip, in that order. Except for maybe Olympia it is all long gone, and then the Connecticut River flooded and really killed the plaza. But that was a populated town even back then, I'm surprised old pictures just don't seem to exist of any of that area. There used to be a bunch of Grand Unions and none of them exist anymore. There used to be a TCBY/Card Shop in the plaza near the Weathervane restaurant. I used to go to that card shop all the time. I was there when they demolished the old Burger King (again incidentally). There was a Ponderosa around where they eventually built the giant Walmart plaza.... There used to be a TON of video stores, even Shaws across from the Kmart plaza used to rent video games and movies in the 90's. Those were the gold days.  Amazingly there is still one Videostop location still open after all these years. I can remember going to the closing of one of the other few Videostops back in 2002 and buying many of their videogames, that location is now a small Dunkin Donuts. There is actually another video store absolutely buried in the Glen Brook plaza, which is a mishmash of small stores with no large anchor. I stopped in there a few days ago thinking it was a place to buy old videogames, and not a video store. It was incredibly small, and the only people inside were me and two workers. I did a lap around the store and left, it was such an awkward environment to accidentally walk into...

The Weathervane is (or was) in the shopping center?? Those are great restaurants if they are around.

jason83080

Checked up on our old Super Kmart store earlier (now mostly Bargain Warehouse) (Sheffield Village/Elyria, OH), and saw that whoever owns the Bargain Warehouse side SHRANK DOWN the amount of the store area that's used for sales floor and has even more stuff (I'd call it "junk," but I don't want to sound mean ;) ) in storage. There's still no heat, but I think they're going to start selling CABINET ARCADE GAMES, because I saw a whole row of them in an opening between a left-right and a front-back shelf that "closes off" the sales floor area. Among the titles I saw were Lethal Enforcers, Capcom Bowling, and Ikari Warriors. Like I said on Facebook, if they had Mortal Kombat, I would have probably bought it on sight.

Also, these two oddities:
- There are a BUNCH of auto remnants (bumpers, rims, etc) right when you walk in.
- The old "blue light special" hanging round blue screen is now being used as a stuffed animal bin, which stocks Beanie Babies and a WIDE RANGE OF SIZES of stuffed animals, from small ones to large ones. They're all priced at $2.99 each, no matter what.

I guess mattresses, expensive furniture, and flooring scraps weren't cutting it? Then again, you can't really sell cabinet arcade games if they're in the back with no signage for them, can you?

TRJ_22487

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 22, 2013, 11:06:16 AM
The Weathervane is (or was) in the shopping center?? Those are great restaurants if they are around.

No, the Weathervane in West Lebanon is still where it is, down the road a bit in a lot by itself.
The Kmart plaza used to have a Del Taco at the entrance, it was converted to a Kleen Laundromat in the late 90's. I used to go to that Del Taco quite a bit, the town did not have a Taco Bell at the time. Shortly before it closed I got a bottle cap in my burrito one time.
There is also a Chili's in the Kmart plaza that was built in the late 90's and originally opened as something else, but gut wants to say it was a Red Lobster, but I really can't remember anymore. The building looks consistent with Red Lobster though.

Kmart4life

They have finally finished the roof job on my local store and from what I understand the company will be investing more into it as well in the coming months.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Kmart4life on March 26, 2013, 03:11:22 PM
They have finally finished the roof job on my local store and from what I understand the company will be investing more into it as well in the coming months.
That is really great news. I hope that they do that with their other stores that need it, too.