Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

If at the very least, Kmart replaced all of the old exterior Kmart/Big Kmart signage to the one in your photos, it would at least make everything current and uniform. Why call yourself Big Kmart if you are just plain Kmart now? Same goes for Sears.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Kmart4life on November 30, 2012, 05:50:58 PM
Taken last night of my local Kmart

Very nice photos Kmart4life. I love them. How old is your Kmart Store and when did it open? It kind of looks new.

MikeRa

Out here in the Philadelphia area, all of the Kmarts still has the "Big Kmart" singage on the exterior.

Also, there was a article in today's Philadelphia Inquirer that mentioned the Kmart location, as well as The Gallery mall it is located in at 9th & Market Street (The Kmart  is located in a former Gimbels location.  Both the Kmart/Gimbels and The Gallery were built on the site of a former S. S. Kresge Co. location): Are the stars aligning for a Center City retail boom?
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

d_fife

Quote from: MikeRa on December 04, 2012, 04:47:14 PM
Out here in the Philadelphia area, all of the Kmarts still has the "Big Kmart" singage on the exterior.

Also, there was a article in today's Philadelphia Inquirer that mentioned the Kmart location, as well as The Gallery mall it is located in at 9th & Market Street (The Kmart  is located in a former Gimbels location.  Both the Kmart/Gimbels and The Gallery were built on the site of a former S. S. Kresge Co. location): http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20121204_It_Are_the_stars_aligning_for_a_Center_City_retail_boom_.html

what is going on with it?

MikeRa

Quote from: d_fife on December 04, 2012, 04:47:59 PM

Also, there was a article in today's Philadelphia Inquirer that mentioned the Kmart location, as well as The Gallery mall it is located in at 9th & Market Street (The Kmart  is located in a former Gimbels location.  Both the Kmart/Gimbels and The Gallery were built on the site of a former S. S. Kresge Co. location): Are the stars aligning for a Center City retail boom?

All it means for the Kmart is the Gallery I building is now owned by PREITT, who may boot Kmart out of there

d_fife

Quote from: MikeRa on December 04, 2012, 04:51:51 PM
Quote from: d_fife on December 04, 2012, 04:47:59 PM

Also, there was a article in today's Philadelphia Inquirer that mentioned the Kmart location, as well as The Gallery mall it is located in at 9th & Market Street (The Kmart  is located in a former Gimbels location.  Both the Kmart/Gimbels and The Gallery were built on the site of a former S. S. Kresge Co. location): Are the stars aligning for a Center City retail boom?

whats the chances Kmart will be booted out I liked that Multi level Kmart
All it means for the Kmart is the Gallery I building is now owned by PREITT, who may boot Kmart out of there

whats the chances Kmart will be booted out I liked that Multi level Kmart

Kmart4life

The store actually opened in or around 1994 as a Kmart and then after the bankruptcy a Sears Essential until August of last year whe it reverted back to Kmart per popular demand from the people. It has been renovated and is nicer than most but I really complained on facebook to them over the summer because the friggin roof leaks REALLY BAD. They are now replacing the roof. I will say that it gets really good business considering that Walmart is less then 3 minutes away. ;D

Zayre88

Another interesting article about Kmart:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-11-14/attention-kmart-shoppers-flat-line-special

Quote''If you’re Kmart, there’s no reason for being'' says Howard Davidowitz, chairman of Davidowitz & Associates, a retail consulting and investment banking shop in Manhattan. “Are they building stores? No. Are they improving anything for the customer? No. Sears Holdings as a company is in liquidation.”

Kmart4life

Interesting article, I wonder how they will fair out this Christamas, My local store is booming.

retailisking

Maybe your local store is booming from people buying from Kmart's website and saving 50% off what they would pay by picking the merchandise off the showroom floor. *facepalm**facepalm*
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/12/12/showrooming-kmart-vs-kmartcom-holiday-shopping/

CTAmeshopper

I envy you my Kmart STILL has the cheap "Big Kmart" signage and they keep the plaza sign OFF at night. >:(

Kmart4life

They reverted from the Sears Essential format last August and said by popular demand Kmart would return and it has done well ever since. Not to mention, the management team they put in that store are really a cut above the rest and all Kmart stores should learn from my store's management and customer service. ;D

AmesNewington

Quote from: CTAmeshopper on December 13, 2012, 07:23:47 PM

I envy you my Kmart STILL has the cheap "Big Kmart" signage and they keep the plaza sign OFF at night. >:(

What K-Mart is yours? Mine is Cromwell.

CTAmeshopper

Mine is Torrington,CT it's in the plaza that used to contain Shop Rite until mid 1996 and had cool 1970s slanted wooden planks on the front of the stores until a few years ago.

I believe the Kmart has been there since the 1970s (it had the old red K and blue mart on the slanted overhang in the early 90's) . There's controversy over what was previously there before the plaza was built, an old factory material dumping site. It is not known whether it is still contaminated or not, scary stuff.

Kmart4life

Mine is Lakeland FL.

AmesNewington

Quote from: CTAmeshopper on December 13, 2012, 09:08:30 PM
Mine is Torrington,CT it's in the plaza that used to contain Shop Rite until mid 1996 and had cool 1970s slanted wooden planks on the front of the stores until a few years ago.

I believe the Kmart has been there since the 1970s (it had the old red K and blue mart on the slanted overhang in the early 90's) . There's controversy over what was previously there before the plaza was built, an old factory material dumping site. It is not known whether it is still contaminated or not, scary stuff.

Is the Torrington Kmart very rundown looking? The Cromwell store is tired looking in general, but it is well stocked and very organized. I think the one in Vernon is the same way. Cromwell from what I can see, does good business. The customers are some of the scariest around, but I try to overlook that.

CTAmeshopper

On the outside it doesn't look very run down, the inside shows it though, whats really old is the clock that hangs above the entrance and exit. It looks like it came out of the 1970s, it still works to this day! What's really old is the entrance to the restrooms and layaway it's still red with white lettering, it hasn't changed since the 1990s. They changed the bathrooms (finally). The checkouts sign has been updated but the basic checkout is the same (no conveyor belts!). They sadly turned off the circular vents (nuts!) That's all for now.

ynkeesfn82

KMART just proved how heartless they are. In a tweet on Twitter about sending prayers to the victims of the shooting massacre in Newtown, Connecticut they promoted a thing about 15 Fab Toys. #reallyclassykmart

MikeRa

Quote from: AmesNewington on December 13, 2012, 08:27:34 PM
Quote from: CTAmeshopper on December 13, 2012, 07:23:47 PM

What K-Mart is yours? Mine is Cromwell.
Out here in the Philadelphia area, all of the Kmarts still has the "Big Kmart" signage, and the Sears and Sears Outlet locations have different signage, going from the "Times New Roman" SEARS signage (in Vineland, NJ), to the current style (at the Sears Outlets in Norristown, Pa and Christiana, DE)

CTAmeshopper

Sears with that 1970s Times Roman signage I thought those were all gone!!!!! :o

MikeRa

Surprising, Vineland actually has two different styles of "SEARS" signage, First, the "Times New Roman":

And one that, I believe, is older:

Both pics are from joshaustin610, on Flickr.

Kmart4life

Sears Holdings Elects Paul DePodesta To Board

Dec 13, 2012

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sears Holdings (NASDAQ: SHLD) announced today the election of Paul DePodesta, vice president of player development and amateur scouting for the New York Mets, to membership on the Sears Holdings board of directors.

"We are pleased to add the strong analytical skills and talent assessment acumen of Paul DePodesta to our board of directors. As Sears Holdings continues the work of transforming and strengthening our company, we look forward to his leadership and contributions," said Sears Holdings Chairman Edward S. Lampert. "Mr. DePodesta's ability to scrutinize data and use it to assess talent and drive execution makes him ideally suited to join our board."

Mr. DePodesta's unique approach in assembling Major League Baseball teams has transformed how teams evaluate, measure and value talent. Prior to joining the Mets, Mr. DePodesta was the executive vice president of the San Diego Padres, and the executive vice president and general manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers, where he became the third-youngest person to be named general manager in Major League history. Previously, he served as the assistant general manager of the Oakland Athletics and began his baseball career with the Cleveland Indians.

He graduated cum laude from Harvard University with a degree in economics.

Mr. DePodesta's election increases the number of Sears Holdings' directors to eight. 

About Sears Holdings Corporation

Sears Holdings Corporation is a leading integrated retailer with over 2,600 full-line and specialty retail stores in the United States and Canada and the home of ShopYourWay, a social shopping experience where members have the ability to earn points and receive benefits across a wide variety of physical and digital formats through ShopYourWay.com.  Sears Holdings is the leading home appliance retailer as well as a leader in tools, lawn and garden, fitness equipment and automotive repair and maintenance.  Key proprietary brands include Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard, with a broad apparel offering, including such well-known labels as Lands' End, the Kardashian Kollection, Jaclyn Smith and Joe Boxer, as well as Sofia by Sofia Vergara and The Country Living Home Collection.   We are the nation's largest provider of home services, with more than 15 million service and installation calls made annually and have a long-established commitment to those who serve in the military through initiatives like the Heroes at Home program. We have been named the 2011 Mobile Retailer of the Year, Recipient of the 2012 ENERGY STAR® "Corporate Commitment Award" for Product Retailing and Energy Management and one of the Top 20 Best Places to Work for Recent Grads.  Sears Holdings Corporation operates through its subsidiaries, including Sears, Roebuck and Co. and Kmart Corporation.  For more information, visit Sears Holdings' website at www.searsholdings.com. Twitter: @searsholdings | |Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SHCCareers

NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
Sears Holdings Public Relations
(847) 286-8371

SOURCE Sears Holdings Corporation

ynkeesfn82

Anyone know when their lease is up at 881 Wolcott Street in Waterbury? My friend is going to be upset if they close. Plus Waterbury doesn't need anymore empty buildings.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Kmart owns the buildings of all three of their stores that they have in the county of the state that I live in. I also believe that the buildings are old enough to be paid off, giving them very little expenses to pay for monthly other than electricity, water, heating, etc. Having said that, they would be more than likely the last stores to shut down.

AmesNewington

The article doesn't sound like a company that is slowly going out of business. It sounds like they are still trying to turn the company around in some way.

I'm not sure about Waterbury. I really can't see Cromwell closing anytime soon. I realize its the holiday season, but they had 7 out of 8 registers open Saturday, and there were still lines. I saw carts and carts of high priced items.

Zayre88

QuoteThe article doesn't sound like a company that is slowly going out of business. It sounds like they are still trying to turn the company around in some way.

Maybe, but how??  Reviving Sears and Kmart is impossible at this point. They can try to survive but they will never thrive like they used to do.

retailisking

Quote from: Marc B on December 14, 2012, 05:16:01 PM
KMART just proved how heartless they are. In a tweet on Twitter about sending prayers to the victims of the shooting massacre in Newtown, Connecticut they promoted a thing about 15 Fab Toys. #reallyclassykmart

Less heartless than simply incompetent in this case, I think.
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-14/kmarts-connecticut-shooting-twitter-fail

Zayre88

Quote from: retailiskingLess heartless than simply incompetent in this case, I think.
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-14/kmarts-connecticut-shooting-twitter-fail

Incompetent, that's Kmart alright. 

Have you tried to shop online and browse Sears and Kmart websites?  They look so cluttered and not easy to navigate, I think they're awful.  It almost look like they don't want to sell stuff anymore.

TRU7536

Quote from: Zayre88 on December 17, 2012, 07:01:54 PM
QuoteThe article doesn't sound like a company that is slowly going out of business. It sounds like they are still trying to turn the company around in some way.

Maybe, but how??  Reviving Sears and Kmart is impossible at this point. They can try to survive but they will never thrive like they used to do.

No possible comeback at all. I give it another 5 years and it will be going out of business, just like JC PEnnys

XDeSuEhTX

Quote from: TRU7536 on December 18, 2012, 07:10:16 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on December 17, 2012, 07:01:54 PM

No possible comeback at all. I give it another 5 years and it will be going out of business, just like JC PEnnys

While I agree about Kmart, I don't see why JCP can't make a comeback. There's really nothing wrong with their stores, the only problem I find is that with the new low price everyday strategy, they scaled down selection, which wasn't good. They need to focus on carrying more of what people want, and place a bigger emphasis attracting the younger crowd.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"