Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

and anouther Prodo type lol NO BIG K its kinda loke the old logo :yup:
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Jag67

Originally posted by Caldor1999
and anouther Prodo type lol NO BIG K its kinda loke the old logo :yup: [/quote]

BORING BORING BORING!!!!!! Come on they can do better than that!!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
Originally posted by Caldor1999

BORING BORING BORING!!!!!! Come on they can do better than that!! [/quote]

i like it its the closest thing to teh orangle logo
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

Add the BIG red K and remove the small K and you almost have a red version of the old logo !! :insane:

truviking05

Hmmm...now the green "K" with the red "mart" I like...it's a way of incorporating the past with the present ;)

BillyGr

This is the Kmart in East Greenbush (Routes 9 & 20)

The style is familiar as many stores were built this way.

To the right is a store (currently Big Lots) that was a former Price Chopper (the 2nd of the 2 that they closed when opening the current store)

Jag67

that looks like a very old store

amesman

Yes, I've been by that store twice. I believe it was built in the 70's.

Zayre88

Kmart News:

K-mart has closed 188 of its in-store restaurants across the country in a cost-cutting move

http://www.detnews.com/2005/business/0506/05/D01-203785.htm

Jag67

Aww!! Does that mean no more little ceasars??

:bum:Mal-Wart!!

df559

The last time I remember eating at a Kmart was when I was like 5 or 6 years old... It was an old 60's K Mart, and had a sign that said 'CAFETERIA' over it. None of the remaining ones in this area have anything like that, now.

Zayre88

I remember that in Portsmouth NH, the Kmart restaurant was closed and turned into a sporting goods section.  The stove vent hood was still in place along with 60's style lamps that were over the former counter.  :P

They finally renovated the area a few years ago.

storehistoryguy

This WAS a K Mart.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB

Its funny its not called big K

Yep, this was right before they did their "BIG K" name switch.

Jag67

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
This WAS a K Mart.

That is one OLD K-mart. At least mid-late 70's..or maybe a litte newer

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
This WAS a K Mart.

That is one OLD K-mart. At least mid-late 70's..or maybe a litte newer

Heres one that looks like an old one. Found on Yahoo!.

storehistoryguy

It probebly looked something like this before.

storehistoryguy

I think the new K Mart sign is kind of blan. I wish they would go back to there old 70's/80's one.

d_fife

I think the new K Mart sign is kind of blan. I wish they would go back to there old 70's/80's one.

I remember the old kmart style stores. The older stores would have the red Kmart and turquoest mart. And inside the stoers the walls would be orange, the floors would be marble black and the isle signs would be black and the registers would be wooden.

sOmewhere in the 80s, they orange walls and black marble floors was done away with, as the one in NAshua NH was built in the late 1980s, and logo of the store was the old logo (red K with turquoste mart) and the inside was white and modern.

The introduced the new logo in 1990 with K in the red mart, that was when they were loosing to wal-mart, and planed to modernize their stores, I realize some stores they remodeled the insides and the changed the logo, some stores they enlarged and some stores they relocated into a bigger store. There were some stores they left UNTOUCHED!!! IN NH THE Stores that still had the look (in the above paragraph) were in Manchester (closed 2002), Gilford (closed 2001 and VERY VERY JUNKY AND WAS PROBABLY A WT GRANT), North Conway (closed 2000 and VERY SMALL), and Portsmouth (Still around, but similar to MAnchester), and in VT BUrlington (it even still has the old logo), HAverhill MAs. Those are the ones I know of that way, and I saw picts of the one in Skowhegan mass and it was said to have opened in 1979 and was 40,000 square feet and that was never touched.

AT the time, they introduced Super Kmarts. ALSO IT SEEMED THAT WHEN A STORE WOULD BE ONLY BE REMODELED, they would repaint the exterior grey (it was about always originally grown), change the slope of the building, and the logo and remodel the inside.

Which one of your stores got remodeled.

They started big kmarts in the mid 1990s. When it listed the locations of the stores in the mid,late 90s and very early 00s, it listed some as Big Kmart and some as traditional Kmart (the only ones in NH listed as traditional Kmart were Manchester said to be in the 72,000 square feet, Portsmouth, Gilford said to be 54,000 square feet and Conway said to be 40,000 square feet), and Maine (MAdawaska (an article said it is 42,000 square feet, Augusta (I went there 4 years ago and it was just remodeled then), Vermont (Bennington, Burlington), MAss (Palmer, HAverhill said to be 64,000 square feet, Newburyport, Great Barrington said to be 52,000 square feet, WEstfield said to be 68,000 square feet, Springfield Liberty st( I went to that one, it was big, but it was old), ACton said to be 60,000 square feet) and RI (Cranston (It got moved and the old one was said to be 65,000 or 75,000 square feet and Middletown said to be 56,000 square feet. AND CT (WAtertown, there is a pict of it and it is old and has the old Kmart logo)

The stores I listed as traditional Kmarts, that were still listed as on the store locator, were remodeled into Big Kmarts in 2000, but Conway and Gilford never saw their chance of being Big Kmart.
I went to one last year in Greenwich NY and it was very small, it was probably 40,000 square feet, and that was probably one converted later.

I noticed that most got converted in 1997 and 1998, but some got converted in 2000, why did those get converted later. I guess any Kmart under 80,000 square feet is considered small, (Ya because when you walk in ones under that size you can see the whole store). Like Manchester NH was 72,000 square feet and that was untountched. I DO NOT KNOW HOW MANY Portsmouth is, BUT I AM SURE IT IS AROUDN THAT SIZE.

I went to those ones that looked like they were remodeled in MA: Fitchburg (said to be 100000 square feet and op 1971, an article said it was remodeled in 1991, from worcester telegram archies), Hyannis (said to be 90,000 square feet and op 73, and the sign of the plaza had the Kmart logo with the red K and the mart inside the Red K), Milford (said to be 1000000 square feet and op 74), Somerville (I went around it first in the 90s and it had the new logo, but it opened in 1980 and was said to be 96,000 square feet), one VACANT IN RAYNHAM (NOW the building was said to have been 84,278 square feet and op 75, and the building looked remodeled with the exterior grey, the slope of the building changed, I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WAS EXPANDED), BROCKTON MASS (It looks to have been remodeled, it was said to be have been built in 1973, but do not know the Square footage, It was probably in the 90 thousands), Saugus (said to be 84,180 square feet and op 1976, and outside looks to have been redone and plaza's sign has the Kmart logo with the Red K with the mart inside the REd), Billerica Mass (in the mall, it looks to have been modernized, and is said to be 84,180 square feet and op 1975, but the malls sign has the old Kmart logo on it), AND THESE ONES THAT I HEARD GOT expanded Webster (said to be have added 35,000 square feet and opened 1980, but it was still small when I wnet there), North Adams (I only saw it vacant last year and it was said to be 95,000 square feet and was torn down and rebuilt into a newer store in 1994), HAldey (HEArd of it, never went and it was said to be 91,000 square feet and added 25,000 square feet in 1991), and I WENT TO ONE IN FAIRHAVEN MASS( IT WAS said to be about 91,000 square feet and was said to be built in 1977 and APPARENTLY EXPANDED, BUT LOOKS TO BE RENOVATED WITH THE SLOPE OF THE BUILDING CHANGED AND THE BUILDING GREY)

I rememer they expanded the one in LEbanon nh 15 years ago and I was told 40,000 square feet was added and it is now 106,000 square feet. The one in Rochester NH looks like it was renovated and expanded at some point.

In maine I went to one in Auburn (said to be built in 1972, and was 105,000 square feet and I DO NOT KNOW IF IT GOT EXPANDED, BUT LOOKED TO BE RENOVATED), Bangor (it was said to be around 900000 square feet and opened march 1972), Waterville Maine (99,500 square feet and op 77, IT WAS PROBABLY ENLARGED at some point? I WONDER WHAT IT WAS BEFORE KMART SINCE THE PLAZAS SIGN HAS THE 60s look), aND I NEVER SAW THE ONES IN SCARBORO MAIne (That was said to have opened in 1972 and 80,000 square feet and was closed in late 95 due to emmenent domain of the hospital), and FAlmouth Maine (closed 97 due to lease expiration and was said to be 84,000 square feet and is a Wal-mart)

But the ones in Salem NH (Said to have opened 1972) And Hooksett NH (said to be 94,500 square feet and op 74) And DAnvers MA (Said to be 82,500 square feet and op 74) had the old logo on them until they were turned to BIG K in 1997, but the insides looked remodeled (The inside of the store of those stores, Danvers, salem, hooksett, was white and the floor was more modern and the inside looked more modern). I Went to ones in Fall River Mass and HOlyoke Mass, the Fall River one had black marble floors still, but the inside was modernized and it ws big, the Holyoke one looked to be modernized inside.

Which one of your stores got renovated or expanded?

I noticed two older Kmart looks before the mid 1980s, one (1975-1983 looks) with a white slope on the building, with the lettering on it and glass windows under the slope and rest of the building brown, and the other old look (like 1970-1974) has white directly across half of the building and some glass windows under, and the rest of the building brown.
Miss the old Kmart logo? What mae Kmart remodel and expand some and leave others untouched? Did they do interior renovations before 1990, because the ones in Salem NH, Hooksett NH and Danvers MA, had the old lgo and the outside was never looked to be remodeled, but the inside was modern looking, and I went to them more than once before the BIg Kmart format came out.  11 years ago when I went to pensylvania, I went to a Kmart in Lancaster in this mall and the Kmart had the old logo, but in the inside the store had white walls (opposed to the orange walls), but the store was cluttered. Later I found info that it is 80,160 square feet and opened 1974.

I heard they relocated 4 Kmarts in CT (Putnam (I WENT TO THAT STORE EXACTLY ONE YEAR AGO AND I SAW THE OLD ONE AND IT LOOKED LIKE WT GRANT) and the new one is 101,000 square feet and the old one looks to be in the late 50,000s of square feet, WAllingford (The old one 70,000 square feet and looks like the one in East Grenbush NY picture, I saw a picture of the old wallingford one on the net) to a supercenter that closed in the 2nd wave of closings in 2003, Windsor (The old one said 41,000 square feet sicne it said that was how big OCean staet Job Lots replacing it was) and the new one being 118,000 square feet, East HAven (the old one said 70,130 square feet and I saw picture of the old one and it looks like it was built in mid-late 1970s) to SuperCneter that closed in 2003 in the 2nd batch of closings (I WAS TOLD IT CLOSED BECAUSE IT GOT SHOPLIFTED ALOT). The one in Rutland VT was indowntown and was said to be 76,000 square fet and relocated to a larger and modernized store 10 years ago in Diamond RUn mall. I saw pictures of Kmarts in MAnchester CONNECTICUT (the website kravco or something like that says it was 99,670 sf and op 71 and the building looks renovated with the REd K with the mart inside the K), the one in WAterbury Connecticut (the website DDRC, but that Plaza is no longer owned by ddrc, said the kmart is 95,784 square feet and it opened in 1973, and the picture shows the store with the grey exterior opposed to the brown exterior, and the one in Cromwell CT (The company does not say the size, but it says it was buit in 1973 and has the grey exterior opposed to the brown), the one in Milford (an article and property website said it is 84,210 square feet and opened in 1980, and the picture shows that the slope above the building was not changed, but the building is grey), and the one in Vernon (a picture of it on storetrax shows that the slope above the building was changed and the building was repainted grey, and it looks like it was built in the mid 1970s, but no square footage is given), I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THOSE KMARTS (CROMWELl, WATERBURY, MANCHESTER, Milford and Vernon). 10 years ago WHEN I WAS GOING TO PENNYSLVANIA, I SAW A KMART IN SOUTHINGTON CONNECTICUT and I remember it having the the REd K with the mart inside (THAT SHOWS IT WAS REMODELED AND THAT LOGO ALWAYS STOOD OUT WITH ME AT THE TIME) and the store closing info on the website with closing stores like Kitchen and Chi chis said it was built in 1973 and was 95,810 square feet. I have no info on the one IN TORRINGTON CONNECTICUT AS THERE IS NO DATA ON ITS SQUARE FOOT AGE OR PICTURE, BUT I FOUND OUT IT WAS BUILT IN 1980. IN MASS I HEARD THEY RELOCATED ONE IN CHELMSFORD (IN THE EASTGATE PLAZA AND NOW A MARKET BASKET, I HAD NEVER BEEN IN THAT STORE, BUT IT WAS PROBABLY A WT GRANT BEFORE KMART) TO TEWKSBURY (I WAS TOLD IT IS 125,000 squre feet and opened 1992), and someone from ATtleboro told me that the one in North ATtleboro (now Shaw's on Robert F drive) was relocated to South aTtleboro (I heard it is 114,000 square fet and opened 92), I also went to a Kmart in Boston MAssachusets in the South BAy Center (AS IT WAS HAVING THE CLOSING SALE and I went there in MArch 2003) (looks like a cave with the oval ontop with the Kmart logo in the oval) and it was said to be 128,000 square feet and opened late 1993, and I hear it is now a TArget, and went to one having a closing sale in Plymouth MAss (I went there in MArch 2003) and it was said to have opened in early 1996 and 118,000 square feet and the building was gold with the triangle front, but it had the Red K with the mart in it logo instead of the BIG KMART logo, WHY??? I went to one In Braintree Mass (STILL AROUND AND SAID TO BE 116,000 square feet and said to have opened late 1996), and it looks like a cave with the oval ontop with the Kmart logo in the oval) I went to one in Brighton Mass last year and it looks like it was a Caldor at one time, I heard it opened in late 1999 and is 85,000 square feet. In NH I have been to newer ones: In Claremont NH (The building looks like a cave and it is dark red and is said to have opened in MArch 1990, I FIRST WENT TO IT IN 1997, I DO NOT KNOW IF IT HAD THE OLD LOGO), Londonderry NH (looks like a cave with the oval ontop with the Kmart logo in the oval, and with Red K with the mart inside) and was said to opened mid 1993 and 115,000 square feet and Keene NH (building with a gold triangle front with the REd K with the Mart inside) and said to have opened late 1995 and 94,841 square feet. And one in Nashua (said to have opened March 1989), the building was white, with the rest of the plaza, and it has two triangles around the logo, and it had the old Kmart logo, but the inside of the store was white. I hear that they have a Kmarti n Presque ISle maine in this mall and it is said to be 86,479 square feet and opened late 1993. I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THIS KMARt (IN PRESQUE ISLE). I HAVE BEEN TO A SUPERCENTER ONCE: IT WAS IN QUEENSBURY NY.

It seems that 40,000 square foot Kmarts are rare speices now, as a lot of them got closed!!! DID THEY OPEN STORES BIGGER IN THE FIRST PLACe and scale back on the store size in the 70s and 80s (I DO NOT MEAN SHRINK THE SIZE OF EVERY STORE BUT HAVE STORES THAT THEY OPEN SMALLER),  I NOTICVED THAT MANY OF THE STORES built in 1970 to like the mid 1980s ARE 84,180 square feet!!!!!! When did they stop opening 40,000 square foot stores, the one in North Conway in the mountain valley mall was 40,000 square feet and opened in late 1980 (I mean closer to 1981), and it had the orange walls, marble floors, signs for the isles black, and woden desks. Why was Conway that size, because of the small market? I went to that store and hated it, it was very dirty not well stocked and they talked about adding 32,200 square feet to it at one point, but that never happened!! WHY, Because in the back ends a road path and there SEEMED TO BE NOT MUCH ROOM FOR EXPANSIon, HOWEVER IN 1998, like MAnchester, Portsmout and GIlford, the insides of teh stores were remodeled and the logo was just changed to the Red with the mart inside the Red. Even for conway, the back of teh store had the old logo on it.  I NOTICED THAT ones built in the late 1980s/early 1990s were 86,479 square feet and look like a cave and are dark red or grey.

A GIVE AWAY OF A STORE THAT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN REMODELEd (AT LEAST OUTSIDE), the building is still brown (IF IT WAS REMODELED, IT WOULD BE GREY) and the logo is the same, and ones built in 1975-1983, the slope above the lettering of the building was never changed.

They closed stores like this, late 94 close 110 stores, summer 95 close 72 stores, between 95-97 close some stores here and there, close 15 stores in early 1996, close 72 stores in Summer 2000, close 283 stores in 2002, close 316 stores in 2003, close like 20 to 30 stores here and there between 2002-2005, 2004 sold 18 to Home Depot, 2005-2007 convert 400 to SEars. THE 2nd wave of bankruptcy closings had more of the stores that close modernized and newer ones, WHY?? THAT MAKES NO SENSE. Connecticut and Rhode island got hit really hard with the closings!!! As more than half of the stores in those states closed, like the only ones left in CT are in Vernon, Cromwell, Watertown, Waterbury, Torrington, and the ones that closed in Bankruptcy were in Bristol (replaced a Caldor in late 1999, closed 2002), Southington, Wallingford (Super K), New Haven (Super K), Windsor, Plainville(Opened late 1999, closed early spring 2003), Derby, Manchester, and THE ONES BECOMING SEARS ARE IN SOUTHBURY AND PUTNAM, and the one in NEw milford got Sold to HOme Depot last year, and the one in WEthersfield closed in 1997. The ones left are older looking stores, and the modern ones got sold or closed. IN RI: Coventry closed in 1996 in a round that involved 14 others (including Skowhegan ME), Middletown closed in 2000, Johnston closed in 2002, WArwick and Lincoln closed in 2003. The only one left in Rhode Island is in Cranston. The Cranston store, from what I hear, opened in late 2001, and an older store in Cranston got closed when it opened since they were relocating it. I hear the one in Warwick that got closed replaced an older location nearby, and the one in Lincoln opened in 1992.

I heard that Kmarts in Woburn Mass (now LEchmere and now TJMAxx in more) and WEymouth mass closed in early-mid 1980s!! DID THEY HAVE A ROUND OF CLOSINGS THEN?
2 years ago I saw one vacant in West Springfield Mass (it was said to be have been 84,180 square feet) and I heard it closed in the early 1995 round of closings with 110 stores, and from the label scar it had the old logo, the unchanged slope above the glass windows (Boarded up at the time), and the unpainted brown exterior (I hear the store is now AJ WRight). AND I saw a building, last year, in Pittsfield MAss that looked like a Kmart, one with the 1970-1974 style, and identical to the picture of East Greenbush NY, and the store was divided into PEtco, Pep boys (now vacant), TJ MAxx and Home Goods, the building looked remodeled because the rest of the building (Above the white part that goes half way of the building, with the Kmart logo halfway on the white part) was grey instead of brown. I don't know if the Kmart still had the old logo. For all I also I Know, part of the Home Goods could have been another store, I Don't know if it was. I looked up that Kmart and dealmakers issue in August 1997 said the Kmart store in Pittsfield was closing due to POOR SALEs, (it seemed that it was closing individually opposed to a mass purge of closings) WHY DID IT HAVE POOR SALES? There was a WAl-mart that looked like it opened in 1994 (because of the triangle top), to the east of it 1/8 of a mile, a Bradlees (That was vacant when I saw it), A hills department store (vacant when I saw it in the Berkshire Mall and one mile north of the Kmart).

storehistoryguy

I like this sign.

Zayre88

I remember the Gilford store, it was indeed very junky.  The shelves were old and damaged, there was burned neon lights everywhere, the closed restaurant was old with dirty windows and used as a clearance area wich merchandise on the counters!  The Skowhegan store was never renovated.  At one point, there was a sign in the lawn in front of the store saying:  ?COMING SOON!? with the 90?s red Kmart logo...

I remember when the locator sorted the stores in BIG, Super and regular Kmarts.  I noticed the Augusta store remained a traditional Kmart and i thought it would be closed because it?s very small but it finally became a BIG K later.  The Portsmouth store got it?s BIG Kmart logo but few improvements were done.  The store is approximately 72,300 sq.-ft.  The exterior does look like the one in Manchester wich i never visited.  

When i first saw the Auburn store, i was impressed because it was a large store and looked renovated, stocked and clean.  The Bangor store looks like that if i remember well.  In Waterville, sources are telling me it used to be a Mammoth Mart.  I visited the Scarborough store as a kid and i remember it was large with a grey exterior and featured a Little Caesars.  It probably looked like Bangor or Auburn.  

It makes me mad to learn that Kmart closed so many large, renovated and Super kmart stores when there are smaller ones that would benefit from a renovation or expansion.  I find closings like Manchester stupid... they have a store right in the middle of the retail hub of the biggest town in NH and they close it.  The nearby discount stores in town were the soon-to-close Ames, a closed Caldor, a closed Bradlees and two Wal-Mart.  

It surprises me that the Portsmouth store is still open.  They should keep it, they have a top quality location and room for expansion with that large parking lot.  The 4,020 sq-ft. Auto center is still vacant and they are not using it to expand!  They did few improvements lately and replaced the former restaurant but it?s not enough to me...

Look at the picture.  BIG Kmart logo, old brick color, old entrance white top and Ames carts ...  :tumble:

dooneyt63

Kmart is my favorite of the big three discounters as well.  It remains much closer to the classic discount store model than Target.  Target has deleted most automotive and hardware and has a very quirky sporting goods department, mostly accenting trendy items.  While many of the cafes have been closed if not profitable, the remaining ones are being streamlined and improved.  I miss the old submarine sandwiches and the great ham they once sold in the store entry area delis.  The Joe Boxer and Route 66 lines have given a certain desired trendiness to the clothing areas at Kmart, but they still have many everyday basics appreciated by their older customers.  Here in the Southeast, not ever going to Wal-Mart if you live in a smaller community can be like cutting off your nose to spite your face, but the stores are definitely bland and generally of a lower quality than Kmart.  While I doubt Kmart will ever be considered upscale, it is the only real competitor for Wal-Mart, like it or not.  Target really doesn't make much of an effort to compete on household chemicals, HBA, etc.  The addition of Sears' legendary Kenmore and Craftsman lines in Kmart should give it a significant edge if handled properly.

storehistoryguy

I liked the K Mart in Montgomeryville Pa. Built in 1975. It had a cafeteria, much like they used to have in Woolworth. It had the dressing rooms right in the middle of the store and when you walked out of your room, you were right in the store again, no hallway. There were also three kiddie rides out front. The store closed in 1999 and the building was knocked down in 2003 to build a Best Buy. Jerks! :flaming:

d_fife

How do you know the square footage of the one in Portsmouth? Thanks for the info

Zayre88 HOW MANY SQUARE FEET IS THE ONE IN AUGUSTA and ROCHESTER?

FOr Augusta, when I went there 4 years, ago it looked like the interior was renovated, when you walk in the store its small, when you go in teh back it looks big.

THAT IS TRUE, the exterior of the one in Portsmouth was similar to the one in Manchester. The one in Manchester was across the mall of NH,
The one in Bangor does look renovated, BUT the building was metal grey, and on the top it had this rectangle/square and it says BIg Kmart. IT looks different than Auburn. I have been to the one in Bangor. I wonder why they closed the one in Scarboro, I HAD NEVER BEEN TO THAT KMART, I HEARD THEY CLOSED IT BECUASE OF THE EMINANT DOMAIN OF A NEW HOSPITAL, and plus the store was not in the best location.

WEll Kmart closing renovated stores, I guess it costs more to operate newer stores and A chain closing newer stores is not uncomming, cause I guess them opening there was a disaster or the store spent more money than they were making.
Them closing manchester was not too stupid, since at the same time Kmart closed other stores in major retail HUBs. I HATE IT WHEN A CHAIN CLOSES STORES IN MAJOR RETAIL HUBS, and if they cannot make it in a major retail shopping strip, then they won't make it, and 2 things may have contributed to it: 1. competiton and the operating expense.

MY nearest Kmart is in LEbanon, Hooksett and ROchester, it used to be in Gilford, the Gilford one closed because of the lease expiration, and poor sales on top of it!!! IF its lease did not expire, it would have closed in probably in round one of the bankruptcy store closings.

KMART ALSO CLOSEd 80% of their TExas stores, pulling out of markets like Houston, DAllas, Amarillo, Fort Worth, Austin, SAn Antonio, but kept their stores in El PAso and smaller cities. WHAT MADE THEM CLOSE MOST OF THEIR STORES IN TEXAS.

They also pulled out of Alaska entirley. They first opened in Alaska in 1993, and pulled out in round 2. WHY???? because of distribution

storehistoryguy

Here is another old K Mart.

storehistoryguy

Zayre88

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
How do you know the square footage of the one in Portsmouth? Thanks for the info

Zayre88 HOW MANY SQUARE FEET IS THE ONE IN AUGUSTA and ROCHESTER?

The one in Bangor does look renovated, BUT the building was metal grey, and on the top it had this rectangle/square and it says BIg Kmart.  I wonder why they closed the one in Scarboro, I HAD NEVER BEEN TO THAT KMART, I HEARD THEY CLOSED IT BECUASE OF THE EMINANT DOMAIN OF A NEW HOSPITAL, and plus the store was not in the best location.

From the Kmart website, i learned that the Auto center was 4,020 sq.-ft and i have a floor plan of the plaza where it?s located but without dimensions.  I used the square that represents the auto-center and estimated.  I don?t know about Augusta and Rochester but Rochester is quite big.  For Scarborough, the location was not the best, they should have built it closer to the Maine Mall area.  Since that closing, there are no Kmart store south of Augusta in Maine!

storehistoryguy

I think they should get rid of that whole Big and Super thing and go back to the way it was before. I do like that mini super market in K Mart. I really love that. Low prices on shirts and ice tea! :insane: I once got a short sleeve shirt that was on clearance for two dollar and and a PennSurpreme regular ice tea, 16 ounces, sixty-nine cents. Total price: $2.69. Take that Target! "Discount" department store. Target (Today, not like 30 years ago when they were normal.) is to expensive.

storehistoryguy

How about this?