Bradlees

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on March 25, 2010, 03:34:04 PM
Opened in October of 1973

was it as large then as it was in the end, I went there 10 years ago and it was large. I love the old lettering and I NEVER WENT TO OR SAW A BRADLEES WITH THAT LETTERING!!

also the one in Nashua in Downtown was the 13th store (I forgot where I found it):   and http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=_rQrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Ff8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=3472,4306270&dq=bradlees+nashua&hl=en

any info on the one I went to in North Andover mass near Lawrence

jmcnamara96

Quote from: d_fife on March 25, 2010, 04:59:13 PM

was it as large then as it was in the end, I went there 10 years ago and it was large. I love the old lettering and I NEVER WENT TO OR SAW A BRADLEES WITH THAT LETTERING!!

also the one in Nashua in Downtown was the 13th store (I forgot where I found it):   and http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=_rQrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Ff8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=3472,4306270&dq=bradlees+nashua&hl=en

I took my camara out and took pics of the plaza articals i need all the info thans d_fife i cant find info and pics od Andover i dont know were to come in conact with it

d_fife

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on March 25, 2010, 09:09:52 PM
Quote from: d_fife on March 25, 2010, 04:59:13 PM

I took my camara out and took pics of the plaza articals i need all the info thans d_fife i cant find info and pics od Andover i dont know were to come in conact with it

I actually have my own pic of hte North ANdover one, but It was not with a digital camera. I went there 10 yrs ago and in 1997, I just wonder when it opened

any other pics of Bradlees?

d_fife

someone explain the history of the KEene NH store as I first went there in 1996.

Why did Bradlees file a 2nd time and go out forgood and why wasnt there one in Vermont? That was the only state in New England without one.

TRJ22487

Here is the Keene, NH location back in the 1960's as a Grant's. It converted to Bradlees in the early 70's and closed in 2001.
The Shaw's was a IGA Super Saver from the 60's to the early 90's
The Dunkin Donuts in this plaza was a Mister Donut from the early 60's to 1992.

The small building in the lower center of the plaza was Keene Cinemas until they moved to the current location in the late 80's

The Sunoco station was a Top Gas in the 1960's

http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=2442.msg47670#new
I went into detail of what Keene was like in the 80's in this thread
The roadways were all redone from what this picture looks like in the early 1990's
And the 4 was intersection was taken out in 2005 for a rotary

jmcnamara96

Heres the Nashua Mall Bradlees

jmcnamara96

Hears a new articale from 2007 when a bus hit the front of a old Bradlees in New Jersey http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=5817913

d_fife

http://www.lohud.com/article/20100407/NEWS03/4070374/-1/newsfront/Construction-starts-at-Old-Bradlees-site-in-New-City

in New City starts today and I am upset of the Roslindale one being torn down and what do you think the store was like before it closed??????

I noticed the smallest Bradlees yEt was the one in Dennisport Mass thats now Ocean State Job lots

TRJ22487

TRJ22487

Flickr user Abdukted1456. Film expired 06/2000

Caldor1999

bradlees mildford ct
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

little something i dug up  ;)
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

retailisking

Here's what the Westbrook, ME Bradlees Family Center looked like in 1964.  Stop & Shop didn't operate supermarkets in Maine at the time, so Martin's Foods (no relation to the Ahold banner) operated the supermarket half of the Center.  Martin's became Shop 'n Save after Hannaford Bros. bought out its partners and consolidated its Maine banners.  Note the Sealtest Ice Cream delivery truck in the second photo!

This Bradlees lasted until the end of the chain.  Shop 'n Save hung on for a while, then closed and built a new store a couple of miles away in Westbrook.  The building was eventually demolished and a Kohl's and Shaw's were built in their place.

Edit 9/18/11:   The Martin in Martin's Foods was none other than John Martin, who also owned the John Martin's Merry Manor hotels and restaurants; the noted comedienne Andrea Martin (SCTV, My Big Fat Greek Wedding) is his daughter.  The elder Martin passed away last year:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sunsentinel/obituary.aspx?n=john-papazian-martin&pid=146656830

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on January 06, 2011, 06:10:11 AM
Here's what the Westbrook, ME Bradlees Family Center looked like in 1964.  Stop & Shop didn't operate supermarkets in Maine at the time, so Martin's Foods (no relation to the Ahold banner) operated the supermarket half of the Center.  Martin's became Shop 'n Save after Hannaford Bros. bought out its partners and consolidated its Maine banners.  Note the Sealtest Ice Cream delivery truck in the second photo!

Nice pictures!!

d_fife

nibw

TRJ_22487

I believe this was the final season the Celtics did not have the logo in the middle of the court at Boston Garden

Caldor1999

Bradlees Yonkers NY back in the late 90's this store opend in 1993 and had two florrs and was the only bradlees in Westchester County
Caldor Forever!

ynkeesfn82

Check out this old school Bradlees Logo in this sign for Stanley Plaza on Slater Road in New Britain. I have no idea when they demolished all but one of the buildings on this property. Today the property is a Webster Bank Corporate Training Center.

Photo stolen from the I Remember New Britain Group on Facebook.

Caldor1999

an unknown bradlees location
Caldor Forever!

TRJ_22487

Inside of East Norriton, PA location in 2001. An obvious former Jefferson Ward, it is now a Walmart

Caldor1999

Manchester Bradlees back in October 5th 2001 7 months after it closed and long before it was boarded up 
Caldor Forever!

AmesNewington

Quote from: M.R.CALDOR on May 27, 2012, 10:46:04 AM
Quote from: AmesNewington on April 02, 2005, 11:49:06 AM
The Bradlees in Newington closed in 1996 when the first round of closings were. Before it was Two Guys Department store. Now they re-did the whole plaza in 2001 and it is a Wal-Mart. Staples, Bassett Furniture, Webster Bank, and now Panera Bread along with Applebees share the plaza. (Wal-Mart is always too packed and it's a big mess all the time).
AND THE NEWINGTON WALMART SMELLS WEIRD. GO BRADLEES!

I wouldn't know. I haven't went there in a while. It's a shame, when they opened, I liked going there. It was a decent store. Ever since they added the food section and closed the New Britain store, I avoid it at all costs. I'll go to any other store and pay maybe a dollar or two more in exchange for a more relaxed, pleasant shopping experience. I rather like the Cromwell Kmart, despite its age. I miss the Turmpike dept stores (Ames, Bradlees, and Caldor) and the Woolworth store in Berlin. There was a short span from 1994-1996 where you could have went to all of these stores as they were all open at that time.

TRU7536

Quote from: AmesNewington on May 30, 2012, 07:54:31 AM
Quote from: M.R.CALDOR on May 27, 2012, 10:46:04 AM
Quote from: AmesNewington on April 02, 2005, 11:49:06 AM
The Bradlees in Newington closed in 1996 when the first round of closings were. Before it was Two Guys Department store. Now they re-did the whole plaza in 2001 and it is a Wal-Mart. Staples, Bassett Furniture, Webster Bank, and now Panera Bread along with Applebees share the plaza. (Wal-Mart is always too packed and it's a big mess all the time).
AND THE NEWINGTON WALMART SMELLS WEIRD. GO BRADLEES!

I wouldn't know. I haven't went there in a while. It's a shame, when they opened, I liked going there. It was a decent store. Ever since they added the food section and closed the New Britain store, I avoid it at all costs. I'll go to any other store and pay maybe a dollar or two more in exchange for a more relaxed, pleasant shopping experience. I rather like the Cromwell Kmart, despite its age. I miss the Turmpike dept stores (Ames, Bradlees, and Caldor) and the Woolworth store in Berlin. There was a short span from 1994-1996 where you could have went to all of these stores as they were all open at that time.

The Walmarts in Rocky Hill, Hartford, and Machester are worse than Newington. Walmarts in general look dirty and run down. Wait till they add another 30,000 sf when they expand.

But I remember the Bradlees building being so run down, it was old and duty as well. Reason why Walmart knocked the whole thing down.

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on January 06, 2011, 06:10:11 AM

This Bradlees lasted until the end of the chain.  Shop 'n Save hung on for a while, then closed and built a new store a couple of miles away in Westbrook.  The building was eventually demolished and a Kohl's and Shaw's were built in their place.

Edit 9/18/11:   The Martin in Martin's Foods was none other than John Martin, who also owned the John Martin's Merry Manor hotels and restaurants; the noted comedienne Andrea Martin (SCTV, My Big Fat Greek Wedding) is his daughter.  The elder Martin passed away last year:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sunsentinel/obituary.aspx?n=john-papazian-martin&pid=146656830

Wow...I remember shopping at Bradlees and Stop and Save, when we went to our summer cottage in Maine. I remember you needed a quarter to use the rest rooms...

TRJ_22487

TRJ_22487

Randallstown, Maryland Bradlees in 1987 & 1988