Grand Union

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

front of the store in 1993
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

back of the store taken in 1995
Caldor Forever!

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
costumer service oct 1991
Interesting to see the red frame outlining the service desk. If this was a standard fixture at Grand Union they have since been removed at all the currently open locations.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
front of the store in 1993
Wow... LOOK at the red&white floors!! Most locations that still have this floor tile..... Well.... It just doesn't look like this now. Time and lack of maintenance can do a number to the vinyl floor tile.
What's up with the graphic canopy at the checkout? I've seen this several times before in snips of a video and a glimpse of a closed store. It was used after the stained glass canopy "clean,fresh and good". I'm guessing the graphics were used in the large red&white rectangular metal lighting over the checkouts? It's hard to tell in this photo with the angle and lighting if there is a canopy wrapping the lighted graphics.

gu4ever

The Grand Union store in Northfield, VT on route 12.
This location is a classic design of the 70's with it's vintage red-dot store sign still intact.

gu4ever

Interior view of the Grand Union in Northfield, Vt on route 12. These are some of the newly updated department signs found through out the store of the "family markets" design.

gu4ever

Some great vintage Grand Union graphics found at the Northfield, VT store.

gu4ever

Great expectations at the new Grand Union where we've added service butcher shops, fresh seafood never frozen, fresh from scratch bakery, the worlds best deli... We're making another promise come true only the best always for less... Take a good look at the new Grand Union.... Where it just gets better!

gu4ever

While I was checking out flickr.com I came across retro-space's photo stream. In this particular photo it's of a grocery store.... Of course I'm mainly familiar with the private label red-dot logo from the late 70's through 2000 of Grand Union, however I do have a few photo clips and articles from the 60's of the former logo image. Well I was totally shocked when I realized what I was really looking at....... A vintage Grand Union supermarket in color!
Take a look at the private label items on the checkout counter and also the vintage brown and beige striped floors, if you visit the Peru, NY store you can see this color/pattern of flooring still being used today in 2010!!
Thank you to retro-space for sharing this photo and here is a link to his stream on flickr.com.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33158682@N06/sets/72157623386354375/

Thanks to Bruce Neylon for sharing this photo of a now former Grand Union store in Florida.

Caldor1999

heres the grand union in little neck ny i believe this one had becomed a stop & shop

and heres the one in westport ct

Caldor Forever!

Marc82

A February 2008 article that an independent market called Caraluzzi was taking over the old Newtown, CT Grand Union.
http://www.newtownbee.com/News/2008-02-07__11-56-49/Caraluzzi

Funny I have a friend who lives in Newtown and I never asked him if Carlauzzi ever opened.

gu4ever

Quote from: Marc B on March 09, 2010, 11:14:59 PM
A February 2008 article that an independent market called Caraluzzi was taking over the old Netown, CT Grand Union.
http://www.newtownbee.com/News/2008-02-07__11-56-49/Caraluzzi

Funny I have a friend who lives in Newtown and I never asked him if Carlauzzi ever opened.
I visited this location in the fall of 2009, yes indeed it is open for business!! It's a beauty of a store inside and out.
Here's a few photo's that I took of the outside during my visit. The first photo is of the former Grand Union while it was vacant it comes thanks to xismzero on flickr.com.

gu4ever

The Grand Union store in Hamilton, NY is now closed. Here is a picture from the Pyramid Brokerage Company that is lisiting the 24,500 square foot property. The Grand Union building was only 23 years old, built back in 1987.

gu4ever

Quote from: DefunctStoreKing on March 28, 2010, 10:31:01 PM
what was grand union's store brand? does anyone kn0w?
Their private label product was the red-dot GRAND UNION similiar to their store front signage. This can still found on a few stores currently in operation like Northfield and Johnson Vermont.

d_fife

Quote from: gu4ever on March 19, 2010, 10:39:27 PM
The Grand Union store in Hamilton, NY is now closed. Here is a picture from the Pyramid Brokerage Company that is lisiting the 24,500 square foot property. The Grand Union building was only 23 years old, built back in 1987.

what will it be now?

gu4ever

Quote from: d_fife on March 30, 2010, 09:49:22 PM
Quote from: gu4ever on March 19, 2010, 10:39:27 PM

what will it be now?
The new Price Chopper down the street was almost built last fall when I was out in Hamilton. The Hacketts that was formerly Ames also sits empty next to the Grand Union. Looks like I need to make a road trip to check things out!

DerangedHermit

Props to Acme Style - a Stop & Shop with barely touched GU decor. I'm surprised S&S never neutered it with their drab green and red of the time (their good looking remodels were still a couple of years away). Halfway down the page.

http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/former-acme-east-rutherford-nj.html

BillyGr

Quote from: DerangedHermit on April 02, 2010, 01:55:50 PM
Props to Acme Style - a Stop & Shop with barely touched GU decor. I'm surprised S&S never neutered it with their drab green and red of the time (their good looking remodels were still a couple of years away). Halfway down the page.

It seems to happen when one store takes over another that is still in business (and thus wants to keep the store open or re-open it quickly) that they do very little remodel work.

In this area Price Chopper did the same with the GU's they took over - only closed for a few days and did minimal work (changing computer systems, cleaning, restocking where needed (like store brands) and such.  Later on they have done other remodels to those stores as they would to any store.

Another thought - since that was the last "regular" Grand Union store design (they did have a new design for a MegaStore, at least one of which opened about 6mos before bankruptcy in Albany), it was likely fairly new at the time that S&S took over, and they may not have seen the point of spending money to re-do something only to match their design (rather than doing it because it needed it).

acme style

Hey DerangedHermit, thanks for the shout-out! I almost didn't go into the Stop and Shop was I was in East Rutherford taking pictures of the former Acme. Something told me to check it out... and I'm glad I did! I plan on having more Grand Unions on my blog in the future in my "Bonus Store" category. I will leave a note here when they're up.
Check it out... Acme Style!

gu4ever

Former Grand Union of St Albans, VT.

gu4ever

Former Grand Union in Ludlow, VT.

nims57

Bad news. Westlawn Great Valu in Jefferson, Virginia has closed. They are knocking it down for Honda dealership expansion. This store was a Grand Union from 1965. Apparently GU exited this market in the 80's at some point.

here is a picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/darlingmeg/3942026389/

more photos: http://dcgrocery.multiply.com/photos/album/3/Food_Fair_Grand_Union#photo=75

This store seems like a rare find for Virginia. Seems like it belongs in Philadelphia. There still is a former Acme from the same period in town, now a Magruder's independent market.

gu4ever

Quote from: acme style on April 03, 2010, 08:58:47 PM

Hey DerangedHermit, thanks for the shout-out! I almost didn't go into the Stop and Shop was I was in East Rutherford taking pictures of the former Acme. Something told me to check it out... and I'm glad I did! I plan on having more Grand Unions on my blog in the future in my "Bonus Store" category. I will leave a note here when they're up.
Here is the location in Enosburg Falls, VT. This location was designed and built to be a Grand Union. Now running as a Hannaford, the interior still has almost all of it's original Grand Union graphics hanging in the store.

gu4ever

Interior view of a former Grand Union store in Enosburg Falls, VT.

gu4ever

Interior view of a former Grand Union store in Enosburg Falls, VT.

acme style

Former Grand Union in Princeton NJ. It's now the Princeton Fintess and Wellness Center with 3 swimming pools! There's a cool write-up of the transformation of the space here...

http://www.bigboxreuse.com/wellness.html

I drove by this place a million times before I knew it existed. It's in a strip mall set back from Rt. 206. Trees out at the street block most of the view to the shopping center. One day I stopped by to see what stores were back there and discovered this former Grand Union. The GU must have closed when the company went under. Perhaps another chaing didn't take it over since there's a huge World Class ShopRite just down the street. I would take a Grand Union over a the best World Class ShopRite anyday.
Check it out... Acme Style!

gu4ever

The former Grand Union store of White River Junction, VT currently occupied by P&C Foods has closed it's doors. Here's the location on it's final 2 days of operation.

gu4ever

The former Grand Union store of Berlin, VT now home to Big Lot's. An exciting find at this location was the former "Corner-Deli" section walled off but visable through the stockroom doors.
Grand Union's Corner-Deli was known as "The Best Take-Out Restaurant in Town"!!