A&P

Started by Caldor99, January 07, 2005, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Some including Pine Street Bristol and Berlin Turnpike Newington are for A&P Liquors.

Bdubs

Looking at that pdf, waterford, mystic, and old lyme are liquor stores. They are all in operation currently. A couple others I noticed on this side of the state, Groton was a liquor store but closed some 2 years ago. Its in a strip mall.  Another was one in Norwich. That store closed probably almost 10 years ago, but is now an independent store, which looks to be subleasing from a&p.

Bdubs

Going through Middletown, I noticed where the A&P sign used to be on the road, there is now a for lease sign in its place.  So, its not looking likely Big Y is going to open a store in this location.

retailisking

Three Super Fresh supermarkets in the Philly metro area (all in NJ) will be shuttered by January 11
http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-financial/ap-close-3-more-superfresh-stores

MikeRa

Those 3 superfresh locations are:

• Haddon Township (Westmont) Super Fresh Super Store: 650 Cuthbert Rd & MacArthur Blvd (Store 468) (Former Grant City Discount Store/Clover Discount Store)
  • Marlton Super Fresh Food Market: 101 East Rt. 70 (Store 463) (Former A&P Supermarket)
  • Plainsboro Super Fresh Super Store: 10 Schalk Crossing Rd Unit-31 (Store 494) (Former Caldor Discount Store)
All 3 locations are to close by 1/11/2013
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Whoser

I remember two A&P's, One in Waterford (Now Occupied by Benny's) and one in Groton (I think both GoodWill and T.J Maxx share its storefront, right?)

ynkeesfn82

What they are now:

Waldbaum's Foodmart:

1235 Farmington Ave Bristol, CT - Big Lots

350 Divinity Street Bristol, CT- Vacant (was an independent store called Pat's Market Place for a few years)

North Main Street West Hartford - One of Several sold and operated as BIG Y

774 Queen Street Southington (moved to 235 Queen Street around 81 or 82) - Been many things over the years including a Chuck-E-Cheese. Later Bernies and Wood Workers Warehouse (Unfinished Furniture Store) share the space. In 2004 Bernie's busted through the wall and expanded to 20,000 Sqaure Feet. They walled up the old entrance of the store and were using the entrance from Wood Worker's Warehouse. The 20,000 Sq. Foot Bernie's store lasted until that chain went under in 2010. Now Buffalo Wild Wings is taking 7,500 Square Feet. No plans yet for the remaining 12,500 Sq Feet. (BWW hopes to open in April).

Manchester, CT - Planet Fitness (I think).

A&P (Old School pre take-over of Waldbaum's Foodmart)

Pine Street Bristol, CT - Plaza completely Demolished in the mid 1990s. Plaza now contains Stop & Shop (an under performing location) along with 9 other businesses including A&P Liquors.

West Main Street New Britain, CT - Plaza Completely Demolished in the early 90s. Shaw's Supermarket built a store on the site. Been vacant 6 years now.

Main Street Farmington, CT - Highland Park Market

A&P Super Foodmart:

235 Queen Street Southington - Southington Wine & Spirits, CT Lighting Center, and NAMCO

495 Chamberlain Highway Meriden, CT - Vacant Space, Deals, and Savers. (Previously was a Circuit City).

207 Webster Square Road Berlin, CT - Vacant (Whole run-down plaza is for sale),

Lowery Place Newington, CT - Vacant (Whole run-down plaza is for sale)

Washington Street Middletown, CT - Vacant

Rte. 63 Naugatuck, CT - Vacant

CTAmeshopper

I've found recently a vacant A&P Super Foodmart on our way to drop off a stranger who had car problems. It's near McDonalds and Bob's Dodge  (now closed). It's a few exits away from Waterbury heading south. 

I gotta remember the exit it was.  :P

Joeg

That's the old A&P in Naguatuck.

CTAmeshopper

katnapped

Pathmark in East Meadow, NY closing in May when the lease expires...store has been there since 1978.

http://bellmore.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/nearby-east-meadow-pathmark-to-close

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on December 09, 2012, 11:46:35 PM
What they are now:

Waldbaum's Foodmart:

1235 Farmington Ave Bristol, CT - Big Lots

350 Divinity Street Bristol, CT- Vacant (was an independent store called Pat's Market Place for a few years)

North Main Street West Hartford - One of Several sold and operated as BIG Y

774 Queen Street Southington (moved to 235 Queen Street around 81 or 82) - Been many things over the years including a Chuck-E-Cheese. Later Bernies and Wood Workers Warehouse (Unfinished Furniture Store) share the space. In 2004 Bernie's busted through the wall and expanded to 20,000 Sqaure Feet. They walled up the old entrance of the store and were using the entrance from Wood Worker's Warehouse. The 20,000 Sq. Foot Bernie's store lasted until that chain went under in 2010. Now Buffalo Wild Wings is taking 7,500 Square Feet. No plans yet for the remaining 12,500 Sq Feet. (BWW hopes to open in April).

Manchester, CT - Planet Fitness (I think).

A&P (Old School pre take-over of Waldbaum's Foodmart)

Pine Street Bristol, CT - Plaza completely Demolished in the mid 1990s. Plaza now contains Stop & Shop (an under performing location) along with 9 other businesses including A&P Liquors.

West Main Street New Britain, CT - Plaza Completely Demolished in the early 90s. Shaw's Supermarket built a store on the site. Been vacant 6 years now.

Main Street Farmington, CT - Highland Park Market

A&P Super Foodmart:

235 Queen Street Southington - Southington Wine & Spirits, CT Lighting Center, and NAMCO

495 Chamberlain Highway Meriden, CT - Vacant Space, Deals, and Savers. (Previously was a Circuit City).

207 Webster Square Road Berlin, CT - Vacant (Whole run-down plaza is for sale),

Lowery Place Newington, CT - Vacant (Whole run-down plaza is for sale)

Washington Street Middletown, CT - Vacant

Rte. 63 Naugatuck, CT - Vacant

On Main Street in East Hartford, there was an A&P  -- it was across the street from the East Hartford Town Hall. This A&P had a PLAIDLAND (trading Stamp) store in the parking lot.  The PLAIDLAND is (at least when I lived there) an ADVANCE Auto and the A&P became a pharmacy.

In Canton, (I think it is Canton) the rt 44 Colonial Style  A&P became Fitzgerald's.

ynkeesfn82

The A&P Super Foodmart in Southington closed in March or April of 1998 according to The Southington Observer newspaper. They were the first anchor store to close in the plaza then known as Caldor Village. When Caldor closed on year later both anchor spots were empty and it was a dark time for the plaza. Today the plaza known as Walmart Plaza thrives with only one vacancy.

Joeg

I remember this store when it first opened in March 1981.  It was always a busy store, one that did about 650-700 thousand a week and this was back in 1982/3!!

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on February 20, 2013, 10:49:42 AM
The A&P Super Foodmart in Southington closed in March or April of 1998 according to The Southington Observer newspaper. They were the first anchor store to close in the plaza then known as Caldor Village. When Caldor closed on year later both anchor spots were empty and it was a dark time for the plaza. Today the plaza known as Walmart Plaza thrives with only one vacancy.

Marc:

What did Walmart knock down to build Walmart? did they raise the whole plaza??

ynkeesfn82

The Southington Walmart was a Caldor and to the left of Caldor was The Music Shop. The Music Shop is located in The 405 Queen Street Plaza across from Price Chopper (which used to be KMART). They gutted the place and redid the exterior and I believe Walmart opened on January 15, 2000.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on February 23, 2013, 05:23:55 PM
The Southington Walmart was a Caldor and to the left of Caldor was The Music Shop. The Music Shop is located in The 405 Queen Street Plaza across from Price Chopper (which used to be KMART). They gutted the place and redid the exterior and I believe Walmart opened on January 15, 2000.

Oh...I remember that Caldor....(had to work there for inventory when I worked part time at Caldor in Manchester!!)

TRU7536

Hey Amesnewington, suprised u havent said anything about this.

The former Foodmart in Newington (the whole plaza) has been sold. It will become a local Long Island supermarket and first to open in CT.
The store is called Best Yet Market.

http://www.courant.com/community/newington/hc-newington-shopping-center-auction-20130321,0,3745770.story

http://www.bestyetmarket.com/index.php

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on March 21, 2013, 06:08:47 PM
Hey Amesnewington, suprised u havent said anything about this.

The former Foodmart in Newington (the whole plaza) has been sold. It will become a local Long Island supermarket and first to open in CT.
The store is called Best Yet Market.

http://www.courant.com/community/newington/hc-newington-shopping-center-auction-20130321,0,3745770.story

http://www.bestyetmarket.com/index.php

Well the joke is on you, TRU!! LOL I have been following this since the beginning. I created a Facebook page about it. I am well aware of the news. This will be very good for Newington.

RoleModel

Best Market is surprisingly good for a non-major supermarket. They weren't so good when they were Best Yet, but they've opened in several former Waldbaum's on LI and their Best Market stores have pretty sweet specials sometimes.

JimSawhill

Quote from: RoleModel on March 21, 2013, 11:34:13 PM
Best Market is surprisingly good for a non-major supermarket. They weren't so good when they were Best Yet, but they've opened in several former Waldbaum's on LI and their Best Market stores have pretty sweet specials sometimes.

I remember when the new Best Market was a Grand Union!!! I used to go to the Newington Children's Hospital for Speech and after, my mom and I used to go to (here is an old one) A.C. Peterson's in the plaza! (Remember A. C. Peterson's? I should post that in the restaurant section!!)

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 22, 2013, 10:17:41 AM

I remember when the new Best Market was a Grand Union!!! I used to go to the Newington Children's Hospital for Speech and after, my mom and I used to go to (here is an old one) A.C. Peterson's in the plaza! (Remember A. C. Peterson's? I should post that in the restaurant section!!)

It would be nice if AC Petersons could move back in. The West Hartford one is still pretty popular, especially for their ice cream.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 22, 2013, 10:21:52 AM
Quote from: JimSawhill on March 22, 2013, 10:17:41 AM

It would be nice if AC Petersons could move back in. The West Hartford one is still pretty popular, especially for their ice cream.

A.C. Peterson's  had great Ice Cream... There used to be 3 in East Hartford, on Main Street, one in the Zayre's/Ames's (Putnam Bridge) Plaza and one in School Street Plaza. Newington was my favorite though, because of the trip to NCH!

Bdubs

They are doing something at the old Middletown store. Outter portions are painted say "demo" and such. Not sure if they are taking the whole building down piece by piece or what.  Can't find anything online about a new store coming to town, usually the gossip in Middletown starts quickly.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Bdubs on April 30, 2013, 08:24:49 PM
They are doing something at the old Middletown store. Outter portions are painted say "demo" and such. Not sure if they are taking the whole building down piece by piece or what.  Can't find anything online about a new store coming to town, usually the gossip in Middletown starts quickly.

Interesting. Keep us posted. The Middletown store was very run-down upon closure. I wouldn't be surprised if they were to knock it down. I wonder what will ever become of the Berlin and Naugatuck stores. They are the last two central CT A&P stores still vacant along with Middletown. Bridgeport Food Basics I believe is still empty. The second Danbury store that closed last year is becoming Price Rite. 

Joeg

Very Interesting!! Maybe it will become a Shoprite or (gasp!) a Wal-Mart Neighborhood market.  Also the old Berlin Foodmart would be a perfect location for a Shop Rite.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on May 01, 2013, 09:35:29 AM
Also the old Berlin Foodmart would be a perfect location for a Shop Rite.

Everyone knows that, but it won't happen. Someone first would have to buy the plaza and either rehab it or rip it all down and rebuild it. Then Wakefern would gave to find someone to operate a Shoprite there.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on May 01, 2013, 02:52:40 PM
Quote from: Joeg on May 01, 2013, 09:35:29 AM
Also the old Berlin Foodmart would be a perfect location for a Shop Rite.

Everyone knows that, but it won't happen. Someone first would have to buy the plaza and either rehab it or rip it all down and rebuild it. Then Wakefern would gave to find someone to operate a Shoprite there.

Assumably, if ShopRite themselves thought it was a good spot, they could build the store there - if you look at the new stores that have been opened in the Albany area, two were newly built on sites where old buildings were removed (one a former Kings turned OTB, the other a car dealership that moved across the road) - the 3rd was a completely new development and the 4th was a former Grand Union that's been vacant for quite a while.

Also - is there anything to prevent someone else not currently affiliated with ShopRite from joining the co-op and opening there?  There are still (at least I think) some ShopRite owners with only one store, so why not have a new one in that area?

ynkeesfn82

I really want to know what the process is for joining the Wakerfern Food Co-Op to become a Shoprite operator. The websites for both IGA and Save-A-Lot both have information if you want to become affiliated with their stores.

Almost all of the Shoprite operators in Connecticut own more than one store. I think The Miller Family which owns Shoprite in Enfield is the only operator in the state that owns one store.

I know one thing. It's won't be Drust Markets LLC (Southington/Wallingford), The Joseph Family (Canton/West Hartford), or Paul Tornaquindici (Waterbury/Bristol).

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on May 01, 2013, 07:30:24 PM
I really want to know what the process is for joining the Wakerfern Food Co-Op to become a Shoprite operator. The websites for both IGA and Save-A-Lot both have information if you want to become affiliated with their stores.

Almost all of the Shoprite operators in Connecticut own more than one store. I think The Miller Family which owns Shoprite in Enfield is the only operator in the state that owns one store.

I know one thing. It's won't be Drust Markets LLC (Southington/Wallingford), The Joseph Family (Canton/West Hartford), or Paul Tornaquindici (Waterbury/Bristol).

You never asked the Drusts about the joining process?? :)