A&P

Started by Caldor99, January 07, 2005, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoleModel

Quote from: Bdubs on April 30, 2013, 08:24:49 PM
They are doing something at the old Middletown store. Outter portions are painted say "demo" and such. Not sure if they are taking the whole building down piece by piece or what.  Can't find anything online about a new store coming to town, usually the gossip in Middletown starts quickly.

Googled it. Not a supermarket...it's Big Lots.

http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/2013/05/06/news/doc518844d69f518563028762.txt

AmesNewington

Quote from: RoleModel on May 12, 2013, 10:26:39 PM
They are doing something at the old Middletown store. Outter portions are painted say "demo" and such. Not sure if they are taking the whole building down piece by piece or what.  Can't find anything online about a new store coming to town, usually the gossip in Middletown starts quickly.

http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/2013/05/06/news/doc518844d69f518563028762.txt

Wow. The former A&P's are slowly all becoming re-occupied. Now we have 3 remaining vacant A&P stores (Berlin, Bridgeport and Naugatuck). Big Lots is a hit or miss store, but it does fit Washington Street just fine and some Big Lots stores are actually nice compared to others. I feel this one will do well. It will be nice to have something new in there. The store needs a BIG upgrade.

So now this is what has become of the A&P Foodmart stores that all closed within the last 7 years:

Berlin-Vacant
Branford-Became Big Y
Bridgeport-Vacant
Danbury/Main Street-Becoming PriceRite
East Haven-Becoming ShopRite
Middletown-Becoming Big Lots
Mystic-Became Big Y
Naugatuck-Vacant
Newington-Becoming Best Market
Old Lyme-Became Big Y
West Hartford-Became Big Y

ynkeesfn82

Terrific. Hopefully it does better than the Big Lots that took over the old Waldbaum's Foodmart in Bristol 10 years ago,

TRU7536

I was kinda of hoping they would open a shop rite there. I moving to Middletown in the summer and I like Shoprite, however I don't think any are close.

ynkeesfn82

It's about a 25 minute drive to SR in Wallingford from Middletown.

Bdubs

Quote from: RoleModel on May 12, 2013, 10:26:39 PM

I just found this out today from a local. I looked everywhere for an article, great find!
It looks like the building is going to see a full renovation, it needs new roof, facade, etc.

Bdubs

Interesting fact, the former A&P in Mystic is one of Big Y's top performing stores now.  I'm not sure how a&p did there, but it had to be one of their better stores, it was one of the newest in ct, and is in a pretty affluent area.

Jstar1994

Something is going on in the berlin a&p, every night i drive by it coming home from work and the nights for the inside are all on...this is the first time in 2 years that i have seen that happen...any thoughts or rumors heard on anything moving in???

AmesNewington

Quote from: Jstar1994 on June 30, 2013, 09:55:34 PM
Something is going on in the berlin a&p, every night i drive by it coming home from work and the nights for the inside are all on...this is the first time in 2 years that i have seen that happen...any thoughts or rumors heard on anything moving in???

Keep us updated. I had given up on that plaza. It has been the mess it's been for more than 15 years. Unless someone buys it and fixes it up and rebuilds the Woolworth space, no business is going to want to move in. Is there equipment or anyone ever walking in the store or ever any vehicles parked in the lot? I'd love for a grocery store to move in there. I don't think the S&S that used to be Shaw's will last on the turnpike for too many more years. That makes a need for another grocer available to Berlin, Meriden, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield and southern Newington residents. Foodmart did well there many years ago. I don't think the new store was as successful as they hoped, but by then, A&P was starting to neglect the Foodmart stores. They had a following, and I for one used to love to go shopping down on Webster Square. 

MikeRa

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20130710_A_P_says_it_will_close_three_Pathmark_supermarkets_in_South_Jersey.html
The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. told employees Tuesday that it would close three Pathmark supermarkets, in Cherry Hill, Camden, and Edgewater Park, in 60 days. Union leaders said about 300 clerks, stockers, cashiers, seafood, bakery, and meat and deli workers will lose their jobs.

A&P, which reorganized and emerged from bankruptcy in 2011, owns Pathmark and Super Fresh groceries. With the latest closings, the only Pathmark store in South Jersey will be in Ventnor.

"It did not come as a surprise," said Brian String, president of United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 152. "We had a premonition. We met with our members a month and a half ago and told them that we thought they were going to close these three stores."

String said A&P told the union the company was "losing a lot of money and looking for possible savings and to renegotiate the contract."

Labor officials renegotiated contracts with A&P when the supermarket corporation was in Chapter 11 bankruptcy. "My response was if, they were going to take the savings and put them into the stores and renovate the stores, we could sit down and have a discussion," String said. "That ended the conversation with the company."

A&P vice president Derrick Kinney confirmed the planned closures, but declined to comment further.

Some of the 56 seafood, bakery, meat cutters, and deli workers will be able to transfer to other Pathmark stores if they have adequate seniority based on "bumping rights" in their contract, String said.

The closings are just the latest, said Sam Ferraino, president of UFCW Local 1360. In January, A&P closed Super Fresh markets in Westmont, Marlton, and Plainsboro, N.J.

It was no surprise to one industry market-research analyst that the Pathmarks were on the chopping block.

"These were not high-volume, extremely high-performing stores in recent years," said Robert Gorland, vice president of Harrisburg-based Matthew P. Casey & Associates. His company performs feasibility studies on sites being considered for new supermarkets.

"Sometimes, it can be that a lease option was coming up. In other cases, the store may be underperforming."

Matthew Casey, owner of the consulting firm, said all three stores were unprofitable. Pathmark's lease in Camden expires next year, Casey said.

With the recent announcement that Camden will be getting a 75,000-square-foot Shop Rite on Admiral Wilson Boulevard, "I guess they [A&P] are getting out while they can," he said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20130710_A_P_says_it_will_close_three_Pathmark_supermarkets_in_South_Jersey.html#1Ec1bvIXgQ5HoJ3g.99
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

retailisking

He hasn't even sold Food Emporium yet, and now Ron Burkle wants out entirely
http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2013/07/grocery_chain_ap_said_to_seek.html

RoleModel

Quote from: retailisking on July 29, 2013, 12:05:31 AM
He hasn't even sold Food Emporium yet, and now Ron Burkle wants out entirely
http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2013/07/grocery_chain_ap_said_to_seek.html

I feel like it's Kroger or bust. Ahold will not be able to buy more than a handful of stores - any more than that and serious anti-trust issues come into play, and I can't see any of the other venture capitalists wanting to touch this poison. Kroger is probably the only conventional grocer that could turn this around. They have experience with a varied store base much like A&P, and being one of the largest grocers in the US would provide leverage on prices. Kroger would definitely give Ahold some competition, and while Shoprite is probably in a better position, Kroger could establish themselves well in places like Long Island.

paul3124

Really sad to see A&P going down.  But, I know Business Professors who use A&P as an example of how incompetent leadership under the Haub's ruined the once powerful company

retailisking

The real problems with A&P started in the 1950s after both Hartford brothers died. They kept the old, tiny downtown stores open way too long and other chains were way ahead of A&P in recognizing that larger suburban supermarkets were the wave of the future. By the time the Haubs took over in the late 70s the destruction of A&P was already well underway.

Joeg

Ames Newington

Joeg

I wonder what is happening at the old A&P in Berlin CT?? Any news??  Is Shoprite going to buy the A&P in New Cannan CT??(Food Empiourm)sic

MikeRa

The a&P Food Market location in Morristown, NJ closed on 12/6/2013.  the full story can be found on Acme Style
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on September 22, 2013, 11:35:06 AM
I wonder what is happening at the old A&P in Berlin CT?? Any news??  Is Shoprite going to buy the A&P in New Cannan CT??(Food Empiourm)sic

Don't know. Ocean State Job Lot, which is in the original location of Food Mart in Berlin in that plaza just bought the plaza for $3.3 million.

bubcolbert1952

I suspect this state-owned liquor store in Bala Cynwyd PA might be a former A&P: http://s.lnimg.com/photo/full/8b92683f78ce4cf48cd60429fe62127a.jpg

bubcolbert1952

Perhaps it was identical inside to this former A&P in New Orleans, now a locally owned Rouses store: http://www.frenchquartercondotrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/A-and-P-on-701-Royal-No-more.jpg

Ames Newington

Follow up: The former Berlin, CT A&P (Food Mart) will be a 60,000 sq. ft. Ocean State Job Lot. I'm hoping that all hope is not lost for a grocery store in the plaza. OSJL is moving out of their current location across the plaza in order to take the A&P space. Their current space is the location of the former Waldbaum's Foodmart before they moved to the new space OSJL is moving to. They were there from 1969-1996. To add to this, there is a large area of space in the middle, including the former Woolworth's, which can be built for a supermarket.

Family Dollar, Harbor Freight Tools, Wah-Wah Kitchen Chinese, and a dry cleaners are also located in the plaza. It would be a great spot for a ShopRite. They have the movie theater, Ford, Acura and Subaru dealerships, and the Powerhouse Gym all on the same street. It's close to the Berlin Turnpike too.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 14, 2011, 07:36:17 AM
Quote from: shore72 on August 13, 2011, 11:39:18 PM
Thanks, that's another very interesting article! Until a couple weeks ago I had no idea that Fresh & Greens had even officially taken over the nearest store. We have a weekly newspaper in our county. The nearest F&G store is about a half hour away from our county line, so this isn't a real strong market for them. Yet, they bought a half page ad a couple weeks ago which simple announced that "Fresh & Greens" was now in our area...and that was it, no location, nothing else of interest. I wasn't even sure myself...I knew about "Mrs. Greens" but didn't expect this name. I even wondered if the local Sav A Lot might have changed names! Best Yet as a store brand, huh? I last saw that in some of the former IGA stores when they went with SuperValu (IIRC). Not that the products are bad, but I expected more. Super Fresh had the reputation as being somewhat "premium" compared to much of the competition.

I think that Fresh & Green's was a knee-jerk reaction to learning that Mrs. Green's would not work anywhere they bought stores in Maryland or in Spring Valley, DC due to demographics in the former and there being 3 Whole Foods within 3 miles with the latter.

The last I saw Best Yet as a store brand was with the remaining Grand Union locations in New York several years back and I'm sure at this point they've converted to the typical Topco assortment. All of this screams of being a stop-gap with ShopRite taking over most of the locations in due time.

Well, the Fresh & Green's experiment was a failure, as the remaining six locations were closed at the end of 2013. The consortium of Mrs. Green's and Canadian-based private equity firms were in way over their heads and ran the locations on a shoestring.

One conspiracy theory has the sole DC location being re-opened as a Mrs. Green's this summer after the location becomes "non-union" after the UFCW's deal with Fresh & Green's expires. Even that would be a stretch, ditto that for the downtown Baltimore location.

Ames Newington

Since 2010 and the closings of most of the Connecticut A&P locations, all but one location has been or will be reused in some way. I've included locations closed since 2007.

Berlin (2010)-Ocean State Job Lot (partial occupancy, coming Summer 2014)

Branford (2010)-Big Y (converted immediately in November 2010).

Bridgeport (2009)-Food Basics (closed 2011), now rumored to be Save A Lot (not sure if they ever opened, but old A&P building was supposed to be demolished. EbLens was looking to open there too and McDonalds).

Danbury/Main Street (2012)-PriceRite (opened spring 2013). The other Danbury A&P is still open.

East Haven (2010)-ShopRite (opened fall 2013).

Middletown (2010)-Big Lots (opened fall 2013, partial occupancy).

Mystic (2010)-Big Y (converted immediately in November 2010).

Naugatuck (2010)-Still vacant, only one left as of January, 2014.

Newington (2007)-Best Market (opened fall 2013).

Old Lyme (2010)-Big Y (converted immediately in November 2010).

West Hartford (2010)-Big Y (converted immediately in November 2010). Was only store left still referred to as Waldbaums.

It is interesting to note that both the Newington and Berlin locations were taken over by retailers who purchased the entire plaza. Also, Middletown, Naugatuck and East Haven were all originally purchased by Big Y in 2010, but were sold to different retailers, except Naugatuck.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Ames Newington on January 26, 2014, 05:50:05 PM
Bridgeport (2009)-Food Basics (closed 2011), now rumored to be Save A Lot (not sure if they ever opened, but old A&P building was supposed to be demolished. EbLens was looking to open there too and McDonalds).

Was this A&P at 1700 Park Avenue? The reason I ask is because Eblen's is opening a store at 1700 Park Avenue. http://eblens.com/locations/

Ames Newington

Quote from: Marc B on January 26, 2014, 08:37:21 PM

Was this A&P at 1700 Park Avenue? The reason I ask is because Eblen's is opening a store at 1700 Park Avenue. http://eblens.com/locations/

That's the one. I think they are building a new shopping center on the site and Eblen's is just a co-tenant. Save A Lot was planning to open there too.

JimSawhill

Since 2010 and the closings of most of the Connecticut A&P locations, all but one location has been or will be reused in some way. I've included locations closed since 2007.

Berlin (2010)-Ocean State Job Lot (partial occupancy, coming Summer 2014)

Branford (2010)-Big Y (converted immediately in November 2010).

Danbury/Main Street (2012)-PriceRite (opened spring 2013). The other Danbury A&P is still open.

East Haven (2010)-ShopRite (opened fall 2013).

Middletown (2010)-Big Lots (opened fall 2013, partial occupancy).

Mystic (2010)-Big Y (converted immediately in November 2010).

Naugatuck (2010)-Still vacant, only one left as of January, 2014.

Newington (2007)-Best Market (opened fall 2013).

Old Lyme (2010)-Big Y (converted immediately in November 2010).

West Hartford (2010)-Big Y (converted immediately in November 2010). Was only store left still referred to as Waldbaums.

It is interesting to note that both the Newington and Berlin locations were taken over by retailers who purchased the entire plaza. Also, Middletown, Naugatuck and East Haven were all originally purchased by Big Y in 2010, but were sold to different retailers, except Naugatuck.

I would love to know the status of 2 Food Mart/Waldbaum's stores   The Enfield Store and the Burr Corner's (Manchester) store.

ynkeesfn82

Part of it is empty and part of it is Planet Fitness I think.

Take a look at this and you tell me. http://www.atlanticretail.com/images/content/ManchesterCT_PlazaAtBurrCorner.pdf

Ames Newington

Enfield is Best Buy. That Food Mart closed around 2003 when A&P closed several Food Mart stores in CT including all locations north of Enfield (some of which went to other chains like Big Y, Stop and Shop and a few reopened as Grand Union Family Market).