Toys "R" Us/Babies "R" Us/Kids "R" Us

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on July 15, 2018, 04:30:20 AM
I really REALLY hope Gerald Storch goes through with his reboot plan for Toys "R" Us. The future of Mattel and Hasbro depend on it!

I hope soo too and my friend being right that someone will buy it up and reopen .

He needs to watch the prices and create Unique experiences  which Toys r us failed to do.

He may as he is 2nd best to Charles LAzarius w the ability to run it.

yes as Mattel and Hasbro have limited showcase space with those dinky departments at Walmart and Target.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The Toys "R" Us store seen in the 1980 movie "The Blues Brothers" is a replica of a 1970s Toys "R" Us store on the inside in the scene where the Toys "R" Us customer (portrayed by a young Bill Murray) asks a Toys "R" Us employee for a Miss Piggy doll before the Blues Brothers lead the highway patrolmen on a high-speed chase into the store, damaging the place from top to bottom. Then then lead them into the shopping mall itself where they do even more damage!

giantsfan2016

I accompanied my Mom when she went to the Starbucks at the Corbin's Corner Shopping Center today in West Hartford, CT to meet up with two of her cousins for tea. I walked around the plaza and looked though the windows of the old TRU. All the shelves, shopping carts, POS terminals, etc were still in there. It's becoming Spirit Halloween.

The Toys "R" Us store in Glen Burnie (Baltimore), Maryland, 1960s.
(photo credit: Michael Blockinger)

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on July 18, 2018, 08:10:17 PM

by Charles Lazarius

and To say where did you get that pic?
any others?

I noticed Toys r us Founder Charles Lazarius died 1 week after it was announced. How did that happen?

Solaris

Quote from: ShopKoFan on July 11, 2018, 11:52:39 PM
Downloadable Toys "R" Us stores for use in the SimCity 4 computer game (for those of you feeling nostalgic enough about Toys "R" Us that you want to add the stores to your SimCities):

Toys "R" Us Times Square:

Mansard roof/rainbow stripe facade:

Blue facade:

You can find them at SimTropolis.com

Nice!
Are there any other stores Recreated like Ames or Zayre?

Quote from: danfifepsu on July 18, 2018, 09:17:07 PM

by Charles Lazarius

and To say where did you get that pic?
any others?

I noticed Toys r us Founder Charles Lazarius died 1 week after it was announced. How did that happen?
I found the picture on Facebook. I haven't found any others.

Charles Lazarus died of respiratory failure.

busman_49

That is a neat find!

danfifepsu

Whats the status of Toys R us or KB Toys reboot? or will there be no toy stores Christmas Season? There is a market for this kind of a store.
- Also if the Bratz owner bought it I feel it may not have lasted as long as I feel he was way in over his head with offering a low amount and runs a toy company and running a toy CHAIN is different.

Quote from: danfifepsu on July 21, 2018, 10:15:35 AM
Whats the status of Toys R us or KB Toys reboot? or will there be no toy stores Christmas Season? There is a market for this kind of a store.
- Also if the Bratz owner bought it I feel it may not have lasted as long as I feel he was way in over his head with offering a low amount and runs a toy company and running a toy CHAIN is different.
I know just about as much about it as you do, so we are going to have to wait for any further news or announcements...

LEGO just released an image for a Geoffrey the Giraffe Brickheadz figure, however, it'll be exclusive to countries where Toys "R" Us is still operating (including Canada).

danfifepsu

I feel us not having ANY TOY STORES AT ALL is like not having a Best buy when getting electroncis.

Quote from: danfifepsu on August 03, 2018, 11:28:47 PM
I feel us not having ANY TOY STORES AT ALL is like not having a Best buy when getting electroncis.
If you're talking about the big toy store chains, yes. If you're talking about local family-owned toy stores, not necessarily.
You just need to think outside the 'big box,' because big box stores weren't always a thing before the 1960s.

KB Toys is set to come back on Black Friday of this year (after Thanksgiving, but before Christmas), if you're still interested.

Here is a complete list of those businesses looking to acquire some of Toys R Us' real estate
(Bidder, store #, city location):

Aldi, 8715, Kendall, FL
Amerco Real Estate Co., 6026, Highland Park, IL
Amerco Real Estate Co., 6554, Emeryville, CA
Ashley Furniture, 5655, Monrovia, CA
Ashley Furniture, 6554, Emeryville, CA
AVG Partners, 5653, National City, CA
AVG Partners, 5672, Brea, CA
AVG Partners, 5682, Chandler, AZ
AVG Partners, 6431, Union City, CA
AVG Partners, 6512, Murrieta, CA
AVG Partners, 7803, Frisco, TX
AVG Partners, 9293 Vernon Hills, IL
AVG Partners, 5821, Redwood City, CA
Bird & 87th Ave Village, LLC, 8715, Kendall, FL
Benderson, 6554, Emeryville, CA
Benderson, 9282, Amherst, NY
Big Lots, 5802, Fresno, CA
Big Lots, 6454, Exton, PA
Big Lots, 8381, Durham, NC
Big Lots, 8885, Woodbridge, VA
Big Lots, 9243, Indianapolis, IN
Blue Water Capital, 6026, Highland Park, IL
BRFI LLC, 6026, Highland Park, IL
BRFI LLC, 6554, Emeryville, CA
Farmers Fresh Market Place, 6544, Chicago, IL
Federal Realty, 6554, Emeryville, CA
Festival Development Corp, 5672, Brea, CA
Festival Development Corp, 6026, Highland Park, IL
Festival Development Corp, 6431, Union City, CA
Festival Development Corp, 6554, Emeryville, CA
FoodBazaar, 6390, Flushing, NY
Golf & Tennis Pro Shop Inc., 9243, Indianapolis, IN
Golf & Tennis Pro Shop Inc., 9293, Vernon Hills, IL
HP Retail Division Capital LLC, 6026, Highland Park, IL
Huntington Oaks Delaware Partners LLC, 5655, Monrovia, CA
Macro Store LLC, 6510, Aventura, FL
NSC Wholesale Holdings LLC, 6306, Paramus, NJ
NSC Wholesale Holdings LLC, 6311, Carle Place, NY
Pacifica Companies LLC, 6026, Highland Park, IL
Pacifica Companies LLC, 6554, Emeryville, CA
Raymour and Flanigan, 6306, Paramus, NJ
Raymour and Flanigan, 6533, West Windsor, NJ
Raymour and Flanigan, 6538, New York, NY
Red Mountain Group, 6554, Emeryville, CA
RFS Investments, 6554, Emeryville, CA
Ryan Gadles (Fit Factory), 7535, Bellingham, MA
Ryan Gadles (Fit Factory), 7803, Frisco, TX
Sage Investco Deux LLC, 6554, Emeryville, CA
Scandinavian Designs, 5645, Phoenix, AZ
Scandinavian Designs, 9569, San Jose, CA
Shoe Station, 7707, Jackson, MS
SKLA, 6554, Emeryville, CA
Star Builders Inc., 6390, Flushing, NY
Target, 8715, Kendall, FL
Unison Acquisitions LLC, 8709, North Miami, FL
Urstadt Biddle, 6554, Emeryville, CA
Warmington Homes, 6554, Emeryville, CA
Wood Investments, 6554, Emeryville, CA

danfifepsu

A feel a reboot wont happen or wont work as Toys r us I feel now burned bridges with vendors not getting paid in all their money and severence workers , I recall a Vendor last Sept pulling the plug on Toys r us, and people turned off by high prices etc.

Quote from: danfifepsu on August 25, 2018, 07:16:00 AM
A feel a reboot wont happen or wont work as Toys r us I feel now burned bridges with vendors not getting paid in all their money and severence workers , I recall a Vendor last Sept pulling the plug on Toys r us, and people turned off by high prices etc.
This video explains the truth about the demise of Toys "R" Us in the United States. Wall Street had a bigger role in their demise than their customers did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgXLS_XBcbg

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 25, 2018, 03:53:06 PM
This video explains the truth about the demise of Toys "R" Us in the United States. Wall Street had a bigger role in their demise than their customers did.

I know as the private equity firm bled it dry! I knew the truth before the video, but still it burned bridges with vendors etc.

Quote from: danfifepsu on August 25, 2018, 09:12:17 PM

I know as the private equity firm bled it dry! I knew the truth before the video, but still it burned bridges with vendors etc.

At least other countries, such as Canada, are doing their best to the flame from dying out...

#THANKYOUTOYSRUSCANADA

AmesNewington

The former Toys 'r' Us and Babies 'r' Us locations by the Westfarms Mall in West Hartford, CT are being used as pop-up Halloween stores. TRU is Spirit Halloween and BRU is Halloween City I believe. The old Ann and Hope Outlet on the Berlin Turnpike is going to be one of the two as well, but not sure which one. Most likely Spirit Halloween. They lost their long time space where Party City relocated to.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 25, 2018, 09:55:34 PM

At least other countries, such as Canada, are doing their best to the flame from dying out...

#THANKYOUTOYSRUSCANADA

how much longer will they last in CAnada or those countries?

Quote from: danfifepsu on September 01, 2018, 09:11:16 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 25, 2018, 09:55:34 PM

#THANKYOUTOYSRUSCANADA

how much longer will they last in CAnada or those countries?
They're staying open. They're not going anywhere.

Since only the Toys "R" Us stores and Babies "R" Us stores Stores in the United States, United Kingdom and Australia are closed, I'd like to request a name change to "Toys "R" Us/Babies "R" Us/Kids "R" Us (United States/United Kingdom/Australia)."

AmesNewington

The Newington, CT TRU building won't be available until some legal/financial issues with the company are taken care of. Meanwhile, both TRU and Babies R Us by Westfarms Mall in W. Hartford CT have been temporarily leased to Halloween stores. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Newington was on the first list of closures before the final bankruptcy liquidation and are being handled differently.

As you all may have guessed, this forum is about the defunct Toys "R" Us/Kids "R" Us/Babies "R" Us stores in the United States, United Kingdom and Australia.

If you want to discuss Toys "R" Us' surviving international locations (including Canada), look no further than this topic:
http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=5180.0

Ollie's Bargain Outlet is selling truckloads of the excess inventory from the United States Toys "R" Us bankruptcy, including toys from various toymakers.

Toys "R" Us #6323, Bay Parkway, Brooklyn, New York - Before and after 1993 renovation:

Photos by Denise Mercadante.

retailisking

TRU is expected to return in time for Christmas, at least in the Midwest; is their retail partner Dillard's?
https://toybook.com/secured-lenders-acquire-geoffrey-llcs-assets-launch-geoffreys-toy-box/

TheFugitive

Quote from: retailisking on October 02, 2018, 08:25:12 PM

TRU is expected to return in time for Christmas, at least in the Midwest; is their retail partner Dillard's?
https://toybook.com/secured-lenders-acquire-geoffrey-llcs-assets-launch-geoffreys-toy-box/

When I think of prominent Midwest retailers, I think of Shopko, Kohl's or Meijer...

Dillard's is more of a Southern retailer based out of the same state as Walmart.