Toys "R" Us/Babies "R" Us/Kids "R" Us

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Ireland-based Smyths Toys (who has stores in the UK as well) is going to buy the Toys "R" Us locations in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, expanding the toy store chain further into Europe.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/smyths-toys-to-buy-toys-r-us-in-germany-austria-and-switzerland-1.3469969

JJBers

Well, if you want to go to Toys "R" Us, it seems that most locations have 8 days left. (As of tomorrow) Act fast.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

Quote from: JJBers on June 21, 2018, 08:47:20 PM
Well, if you want to go to Toys "R" Us, it seems that most locations have 8 days left. (As of tomorrow) Act fast.
I doubt they'll have anything left I want. For the time being, I'll shop at the big box stores until KB Toys comes back.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on June 21, 2018, 09:08:23 PM
Quote from: JJBers on June 21, 2018, 08:47:20 PM
I doubt they'll have anything left I want. For the time being, I'll shop at the big box stores until KB Toys comes back.

More of the stuff is moved to the front of the store.

danfifepsu

All in AUSTRALIA are closing too. OK is Toys r us a dead brand?

Quote from: danfifepsu on June 22, 2018, 12:47:06 PM
I hear the Canadian ones are still operating under new ownership. Toys "R" Us is not quite dead yet...

The German and British Toys "R" Us stores were sold to UK-based Smyth's Toys.

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on June 22, 2018, 07:58:06 PM
I hear the Canadian ones are still operating under new ownership. Toys "R" Us is not quite dead yet...

Toys "R" Us changed its name to "Toys "R" Bust" in the US for now!  :'(
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Quote from: Pikapower on June 23, 2018, 06:01:32 PM

Not "for now," but "forever."

giantsfan2016

Quote from: ShopKoFan on June 23, 2018, 10:02:53 PM

I'm taking Pikapower's side and say "for now."

Who's to say someone won't buy their name and revive them in the future like what's being done with KB?

Quote from: Brammy on June 24, 2018, 10:37:07 AM

I'm taking Pikapower's side and say "for now."

Who's to say someone won't buy their name and revive them in the future like what's being done with KB?
They might. There's two ways that this could happen: Toys "R" Us Canada could revive the Toys "R" Us chain chain by opening stores in the U.S.; or it could be done in the way Strategic Marks is trying to do with KB Toys: by acquiring the trademarks to Toys "R" Us and Geoffrey the Giraffe and reviving the chain.

danfifepsu

articles said J SIlver said the store is not over but the chapter is and said in 2019 someone will buy it back up, as 150 companies were interested

I hope who owns KB toys does this and some stores are named Toys r us, some are named KB Toys.

Quote from: danfifepsu on June 25, 2018, 01:17:03 AM

articles said J SIlver said the store is not over but the chapter is and said in 2019 someone will buy it back up, as 150 companies were interested

I hope who owns KB toys does this and some stores are named Toys r us, some are named KB Toys.
We both agree on one thing: the Toys "R" Us brand still has some strength left in it. We also agree that they should bring it back, stronger than ever, free of any bad outside investments.

I also hope Toys "R" Us still has Geoffrey Giraffe for their mascot, and I also hope KB reintroduces their toy soldier mascot, Mr. Kaybee.

Ameskid

So I did a thing.  I've always wanted to own my own shopping cart and now I have two.

Toys R Us carts by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

I was surprised to see that the Florence, KY location closed earlier than expected - I stopped in this morning to see "Closed Forever" on the front doors and fixtures being delivered out of the back - and from the lack of someone to answer the phone, it looks like the Eastgate, OH location did as well.  These two carts came from store 8095 in Cincinnati, which I'd never been to until yesterday.

Toys R Us 8095 - Cincinnati, OH (2) by Harvestman Man, on Flickr
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

JJBers

Well, it's over. At least in America. (I'm a week late)
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on July 06, 2018, 09:03:41 AM

MAKES NO SENSE CAnada has a Toys r us or major toy store, but the U.S. doesnt!  Again there is a need for this kind of a store. It begain America too.

Quote from: danfifepsu on July 06, 2018, 09:42:20 AM
Quote from: JJBers on July 06, 2018, 09:03:41 AM

MAKES NO SENSE CAnada has a Toys r us or major toy store, but the U.S. doesnt!  Again there is a need for this kind of a store. It begain America too.

Wait another month. Party City will start Toy City and KB Toys will return, thanks to its new owner, Strategic Marks, Inc.

I've been watching videos of people dumpster diving behind a Toys "R" Us on the night following liquidation of their stores. People found a few unsold pieces of merchandise, old signs, and even a few discarded electronic items and toys underneath a bunch of empty boxes.

Another story I've read about is when somebody found a long-lost sealed copy of Mario Kart 64 for the Nintendo 64 at a Toys "R" Us going out of business sale underneath a shelf. The box was dirty on the outside (from being lost in the store for over 20 years), but the game box and instruction booklet remain completely intact due to the fact that it was still factory sealed:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/random_toys_r_us_employee_finds_a_mario_kart_64_box_hidden_under_a_shelf

Solaris

My Local TRU Still has the Store Closing Flags and the Signs Still Up despite Closing Sales Ceasing, might Check l8r today.

No need to grow up, you can still be a "Toys 'R' Us Kid" in Canada
By Anthony Reyes, WKBW
Posted 11:33 AM, Jun 29, 2018

TORONTO, ON (WKBW) - Many "Toys 'R' Us Kids" are facing a harsh reality, after announcing in March 2018 that all 735 of the company's U.S. stores would be closing, that day has finally come.

As of Friday, June 29, all U.S. stores will be closing.

There has been an outpouring of support and goodbyes from former customers on social media, and a photo of the company's mascot, Geoffrey, leaving a store with empty shelves and a suitcase has gone viral.

If you're still hoping to satisfy your toy store fix, although all the U.S. locations will be closed by the end of Friday, Toys 'R' Us Canada will remain open.

Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. based in Toronto has purchased all 82 Canadian based stores for $300 million and will keep the stores up and running.

They are 100 percent Canadian owned and employ over 4,000 Canadians.

Bloomberg reported earlier this week that Farirfax and former Toys 'R' Us Chief Executive Jerry Storch have been in discussions to reboot the U.S. chain.

According to reports, Toys 'R' Us Canada has had more than $1 billion a year in sales and made $101 million in unsecured inter-company loans to U.S. operations since 2016.

Toys 'R' Us Canada will be spending more $10 million to renovate more than half it's locations.

Downloadable Toys "R" Us stores for use in the SimCity 4 computer game (for those of you feeling nostalgic enough about Toys "R" Us that you want to add the stores to your SimCities):

Toys "R" Us Times Square:

Mansard roof/rainbow stripe facade:

Blue facade:

You can find them at SimTropolis.com

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on July 10, 2018, 02:23:14 PM
By Anthony Reyes, WKBW

TORONTO, ON (WKBW) - Many "Toys 'R' Us Kids" are facing a harsh reality, after announcing in March 2018 that all 735 of the company's U.S. stores would be closing, that day has finally come.

There has been an outpouring of support and goodbyes from former customers on social media, and a photo of the company's mascot, Geoffrey, leaving a store with empty shelves and a suitcase has gone viral.

If you're still hoping to satisfy your toy store fix, although all the U.S. locations will be closed by the end of Friday, Toys 'R' Us Canada will remain open.

Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. based in Toronto has purchased all 82 Canadian based stores for $300 million and will keep the stores up and running.

Bloomberg reported earlier this week that Farirfax and former Toys 'R' Us Chief Executive Jerry Storch have been in discussions to reboot the U.S. chain.

According to reports, Toys 'R' Us Canada has had more than $1 billion a year in sales and made $101 million in unsecured inter-company loans to U.S. operations since 2016.

Toys 'R' Us Canada will be spending more $10 million to renovate more than half it's locations.

I feel that the beginning of the end of Toys r us was back in 2004 when they announced Kids R us closing, sales losses, saying they will separate Toys R us and Babies R us to Focus on Babies R us, and restructure and closure stores (which happened early 2006) and 2005 was when they were bought out by the private equity firm.

Quote from: danfifepsu on July 12, 2018, 09:08:13 AM
By Anthony Reyes, WKBW

I feel that the beginning of the end of Toys r us was back in 2004 when they announced Kids R us closing, sales losses, saying they will separate Toys R us and Babies R us to Focus on Babies R us, and restructure and closure stores (which happened early 2006) and 2005 was when they were bought out by the private equity firm.
I guess a trip to Canada is in order for you...

Toys "R" Us Canada dodged a financial bullet, and and is now Canadian-owned.

Now Geoffrey is up in Canada enjoying poutine and maple syrup, all while listening to Canadian musicians KD Lang, Tom Cochrane, Justin Bieber, Alanis Morisette, Anne Murray and Gordon Lightfoot. :)

Toys "R" Us will return to the U.S. someday...

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on July 12, 2018, 03:32:51 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on July 12, 2018, 09:08:13 AM
By Anthony Reyes, WKBW

I guess a trip to Canada is in order for you...

Toys "R" Us Canada dodged a financial bullet, and and is now Canadian-owned.

Now Geoffrey is up in Canada enjoying poutine and maple syrup, all while listening to Canadian musicians KD Lang, Tom Cochrane, Justin Bieber, Alanis Morisette, Anne Murray and Gordon Lightfoot. :)

Toys "R" Us will return to the U.S. someday...
I have a friend who says he thinks someone will buy it up and reopen the chain, I have to see it to beleive it. When will it return? 2019? or 2020. its too late to start it up before Christmas.

I really REALLY hope Gerald Storch goes through with his reboot plan for Toys "R" Us. The future of Mattel and Hasbro depend on it!