A&P

Started by Caldor99, January 07, 2005, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobil

At Island Ave and Lindbergh, in Philadelphia. Now subdivided into Staples and Rite Aid. Across the street there is a plaza with a former Acme, now ShopRite, and Clover, now Kmart.

Mobil

Secane, PA. There is also a dollar store in this plaza where I found Ames carts. An older CVS just built a brand new store in the parking lot.

Mobil

Former colonial A&P in Willow Grove, PA.

Mobil

Very old A&P in Bryn Mawr, PA.

Mobil

Former A&P and SuperFresh in Lansdowne, PA, abandoned since April 2002. This store is rumored to become T.J. Maxx, and is just around the corner from a former Acme.

Mobil

Former A&P in Wynnewood, PA. The original roof is exposed and in bad shape. :no:

Mobil

Former SuperFresh in North Philadelphia.

Mobil

Former A&P and Shop 'n Bag in Folcroft, PA.

Mobil

Former A&P in Kennett Square, PA. This store was a SuperFresh that relocated in 1992, still abandoned.

Mobil

Jim Thorpe, PA that closed in 1993 as A&P. It became Fay's in 1995, which was converted to Eckerd in 1996.

Mobil

Former A&P in Norristown, PA, that was later a Mad Grocer, Genuardi's discount format. This is across from a former Penn Fruit.

Mobil

Former A&P and SuperFresh in Springfield, PA that closed in 1999. Next to the Michaels is Tweeter that closed in 2005. Today Tweeter is gone completely, and Michaels has a new logo.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
Former SuperFresh in North Philadelphia.
This former Super Fresh Food Market is in the lower Northeast Philadelphia, on Aramingo Avenue, south of Bridge Street.  The former Super Fresh Super Store in Bristol, PA, and the A&P Food Market in Wayne, NJ also has this "Future Store" design
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Mobil

torringtonstars

My grandmother used to talk about how the A&P in Torrington had a conveyor belt in front so that after you paid you could drive up to the side of the building and have your bags loaded right into your car. This must have been in the fifties or early sixties at the latest. I'll see if she still remembers when I talk to her on Sunday.

That A&P was located next to the Stars store, I can still remember the old red and white linoleum... I can vividly remember the soda pop shelves up against the front of the store and trying to imagine that conveyor belt.

I'm frustrated that I've found this forum now that I've moved so far from home... can't just run out and take photos.

there was a darling old A&P building in Winsted, Connecticut as well.

Arrrgh. I want to take photos!

No A&P out here in Utah... I think the new "fresh" branding is cute, but I love those old red, orange and yellow signs.

Mobil

When exactly were A&P centennial/colonial stores built?

Joeg

Between 1957 and 1970.

AmesNewington

Has anyone heard about the Bridgeport, CT A&P closing? I may have overheard a conversation about Bridgeport closing. If they are, I'm not surprised. This store could never be saved due to its location alone.

CTAmeshopper

I found an old A&P in Winsted recently, it was located near Main Street across a bridge, it still has most of the old building design and parking lot,complete with lights I wish I had a picture of it hmmmmmmmm....

AHA! found it!

http://maps.live.com/#JndoZXJlMT1XaW5zdGVkJTJjK0NUJmJiPTQxLjk1MDA2NTMzNzAwNjQlN2UtNzMuMDE3Mzg5NjY2NDEwMSU3ZTQxLjg5MjEyNDU3MTAyMTMlN2UtNzMuMTIxMTY5OTEzNDM5Mg==

go into Bird's Eye, rotate it to the West to East direction
look between Maple Street and Willow Street it's that reddish brown building with the little peak in it's roof.:bigsmile:

TRJ22487

Photos taken by me 1/25/2009
Former A&P Peterborough, NH *Peterborough Plaza*

I remember this store doing well in the 80's to mid 90's
I believe it became P&C or something like that in the early 00's
Has been abandoned for about two years now

MikeRa

The A&P Supermarket/Super Foodmart store in Margaretville, NY has closed  between 1/8 and 1/14, since a Family Fresh Foodtown store has taken their spot.  Also heard the A&P in Mount Vernon, NY is closing as well.  A&P already has a Pathmark in Mt. Vernon, so this makes sense.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
The A&P Supermarket/Super Foodmart store in Margaretville, NY has closed  between 1/8 and 1/14, since a Family Fresh Foodtown store has taken their spot.  Also heard the A&P in Mount Vernon, NY is closing as well.  A&P already has a Pathmark in Mt. Vernon, so this makes sense.

Wow, that was a surprise about the Margaretville NY store. I assumed they did good business. However, I believe A&P is now looking to focus on their larger stores, and that NY store wasn't large by no means. It's good to see something replaced it.

Can anyone confirm if the A&P Super Foodmart in Bridgeport CT is closing. I thought I heard someone at another CT A&P mention this.

Mervyns

America's Choice- I thought that was a Wal-Mart brand.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by Mervyns
America's Choice- I thought that was a Wal-Mart brand.
America's Choice replaced the A&P, Ann Page, Waldbaum's, Kohl's, and just last year, Pathmark brands.

Whoser

We had one in Groton CT, which is now GoodWill & T.J Maxx, and also one in Waterford CT, which is now Benny's.

Caldor1999

ive nodiced that they took over all the food emporum locations least the ones around me anyone know why they did that

heres one that was a food empourim in hastings ny

ive also made up a nick name for them but i cant say it on here
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
ive nodiced that they took over all the food emporum locations least the ones around me anyone know why they did that

They didn't ''take over'' The Food Emporium locations, A&P created and owned that chain. They just rebranded them to the regular A&P name.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75

They didn't ''take over'' The Food Emporium locations, A&P created and owned that chain. They just rebranded them to the regular A&P name.  

And they did not convert every Food Emporium to A&P Fresh. I do think they will though. Two out of the four FE's in CT are now A&P Fresh. I predict the other two will be converted to A&P Fresh in the next few years.

Caldor1999

well i know they own food Emporium only reason why i said take over is because all the food emporiums around me all just turned into a&p like in a few days a&p also did that with waldbaums

also the food emporuim was once its own compay a&p bought them in the mid 80's as they did with waldbaums ever since then they have down sized there stores and made them into a&p's
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

MikeRa

well i know they own food Emporium only reason why i said take over is because all the food emporiums around me all just turned into a&p like in a few days a&p also did that with waldbaums  
In Manhattan, the A&P stores are operating under the "The Food Emporium" and "Pathmark" names.  Most of The Food Emporium locations in Manhattan were former A&P Supermarket locations.