Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores

Started by katnapped, December 27, 2011, 07:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ShopKoFan on December 04, 2015, 07:07:25 PM
I really hope Martha Stewart can buy Kmart from Sears before it's too late!

I don't think she's going to do it. I think she said "I regret not buying it".  --- BTW even if someone were to buy out KMART (not likely to happen) I believe the name is damaged goods and has been for many years. What are you going to do? Rebrand the stores and hope the new name catches on? That could take years.

My second to last visit to a KMART was in February 2013. It was to their rundown and now closed for 2 years location in Waterbury, Connecticut. I remember telling someone that I went to KMART. There mind was blown that KMART still existed. I didn't buy anything.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Marc B on December 04, 2015, 07:31:04 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on December 04, 2015, 07:07:25 PM
I really hope Martha Stewart can buy Kmart from Sears before it's too late!

I don't think she's going to do it. I think she said "I regret not buying it".  --- BTW even if someone were to buy out KMART (not likely to happen) I believe the name is damaged goods and has been for many years. What are you going to do? Rebrand the stores and hope the new name catches on? That could take years.

My second to last visit to a KMART was in February 2013. It was to their rundown and now closed for 2 years location in Waterbury, Connecticut. I remember telling someone that I went to KMART. There mind was blown that KMART still existed. I didn't buy anything.
I guess Kmart will likely go under.

Hudsons81

The last time I want to a Kmart was October 12, 2014-the final day the Super Kmart in Southgate, Michigan was in business. As of yesterday, that building is STILL vacant.

shore72

We made our first Sears purchase in some time, about 2 weeks ago at Dover (DE) Mall. We were shopping for an artificial Christmas tree and they had just what we wanted at a decent price. Observations: as usual these days, it was pretty dead. (Especially compared to the always bustling Boscov's.) The tree display was well done but there was no indication at all of where you were supposed to actually BUY the trees. We found somebody in an adjacent department who was able to get us rung up. Turns out you get your tree from the little pick-up department, tucked in a back corner of the store. The waiting area had it all: flatscreen TV to display customer information, but the screen was blurry and misconverged. Bulletin board for the employee of the month, but with no photo on display. Automatic doors to the outside, spaced such that you could barely fit in the waiting room without triggering them. A bench to sit on, that was outdated when the store was built in the '80s. A help window, boarded-up from the backside.

But, hey, the service was fast. I later found out I could have saved money if I had used the Shop Your Way thingie, except I can never seem to figure out how it works. I'm a member, I guess (I get constant emails) but they never gave me a card. Sometimes I'll get a friendly clerk at K-mart that will type in my phone number, but at Sears they didn't even ask.

Thought: what becomes of Hometown stores if Sears folds? I'm guessing Kenmore/Craftsman/Die Hard would survive any collapse, so maybe somehow those stores could stay around.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: shore72 on December 06, 2015, 10:42:03 PM
Thought: what becomes of Hometown stores if Sears folds? I'm guessing Kenmore/Craftsman/Die Hard would survive any collapse, so maybe somehow those stores could stay around.

I heard the Hometown Stores/Hardware and Appliance stores were spun off, but they're closing locations too. Bristol, Connecticut closed in January 2014 and Wallingford, Connecticut closed in May 2015.

Hudsons81

Went back to a Sears for the first time in nearly a year yesterday at Oakland Mall in Troy, Michigan.

It was, as usual, dead. One of the display TVs in the electronic department, one that was showing an episode of Gilligan's Island on WDIV 4.3, had most of it's screen damaged. I surprisingly, however, did wait in a line at checkout.

I won't be surprised if they happen to end up on a closing list soon.

BillyGr

Quote from: Hudsons81 on December 07, 2015, 09:34:08 AM
Went back to a Sears for the first time in nearly a year yesterday at Oakland Mall in Troy, Michigan.

It was, as usual, dead. One of the display TVs in the electronic department, one that was showing an episode of Gilligan's Island on WDIV 4.3, had most of it's screen damaged. I surprisingly, however, did wait in a line at checkout.

So what you're saying is that even their TV's are stuck in the 60's? ;)

Hudsons81

Quote from: BillyGr on December 07, 2015, 03:59:57 PM

No, they were displaying all the current versions.

mixedday

In the Philly region, I'd guess Sears will close:
Burlington Center Sears - last remaining department store in this mall. No signage of Sears from the main road and mall is basically dead although open with about 10 stores.
Granite Run Mall Sears - Boscov's and Sears are remaining department stores, but the mall itself has closed, and has been fenced off in the parking lot and closed off inside.

Although Sears was the last remaining tenant of Hunt Valley Mall, it might be different as that store served as the primary store for Towson to Baltimore. I'm not sure if Burlington or Granite Run serve a unique role the same way.

I'd also guess the Vineland Sears and maybe the Oxford Valley Sears (being close to Neshaminy) could be eliminated.

Hudsons81

Quote from: mixedday on December 07, 2015, 11:09:48 PM
Although Sears was the last remaining tenant of Hunt Valley Mall, it might be different as that store served as the primary store for Towson to Baltimore. I'm not sure if Burlington or Granite Run serve a unique role the same way.

A similar purpose was served for the former Mall of Monroe Sears, in fact, it was the only store between Lincoln Park and Toledo.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Hudsons81 on December 08, 2015, 09:09:01 AM

A similar purpose was served for the former Mall of Monroe Sears, in fact, it was the only store between Lincoln Park and Toledo.

Yes I understand they bailed out of the Adrian Mall a couple of years ago.

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on December 08, 2015, 09:19:35 AM
Quote from: Hudsons81 on December 08, 2015, 09:09:01 AM

Yes I understand they bailed out of the Adrian Mall a couple of years ago.

The Mall of Monroe store closed at that same time too, if I remember correctly.

BillyGr

Quote from: Hudsons81 on December 07, 2015, 04:03:39 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on December 07, 2015, 03:59:57 PM

No, they were displaying all the current versions.

I meant given the show they were running, not the TV's themselves.

dmx10101

Sears Holdings announced today that they will be closing several Kmart stores across the country in the next couple months. Don't have a list yet but looks like its gonna be atleast 30 locations.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

mvcg66b3r

QuoteReader Jill compiled a list of all the Kmart stores closing that have been reported so far, stores will start liquidation Jan 24th and be closed sometime in April 2016:

North Logan, UT
Citrus Heights CA ,
Pocatello idaho
Superior, Wis.,
Virginia, Minn.,
Ironwood, Mich
Ottumwa, IA
Thunderbird Mall in Virginia
500 N. Nimitz Highway, Honolulu HI
Boardman, OH
Terre Haute, IN.
North Topeka, KS
Milledgeville ga
Daytona Beach, FL
Canton, IL
Rome, GA
Braintree, MA
Glendale, AZ
Virginia beach VA
Prescott Valley, AZ
Exton, pa

http://www.cuckooforcoupondeals.com/weekly/kmart/kmart-stores-closing-list-liquidation-begins-0124/
James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland

TheFugitive

I have some extended family in Ironwood, MI.
That is a REALLY remote location!

danfifepsu

more are listed here https://www.google.com/#q=kmart+close&tbm=nws

now ones Mitchell, PEirre sd are closing, Cleveland TN, more. Whats with Kmart? and why the last one in DAytona?

katnapped

Those lists are going to keep growing.  They haven't even touched the northeast yet (and I'm not counting Exton, PA)

buzz86us

I am surprised my old workplace has held on .. the Rotterdam mall is in renewal, but I guess Via Properties must be giving them a good deal on rent to give the allusion that the mall is viable still

danfifepsu

kmart closing list I have gathered. of the one in Prattville, OK OK How come its closing after it was rebuilt after the tornado and its the last o ne in Montgomery area.

Honoululu HI
Florence AL
PRATTVILLE
Greenville MS
longview tx
clarksville tN
cleveland TN
Dundias MN
Virginia MN
Superior WI
IRonwood MI
Covington VA
Virginia BEACH VA
Cedar Bluff VA
Milledgeville GA
DUBLIN GA
Daytona Beach FL
Pescos (Tampa Bay) FL
Anaeheim ca
Chula Vista ca
Citrus Heights ca
San Mateo ca
peirre sd
mitchell sd
Canton Il
Ottumwa IOWA
Terre Haute IN
Zanesville OH MAysville Pike
Boardman OHIO
STuebenville OH
North Topeka KS
Pocatello ID
North Logan UTAH
RICHFIELD U TAH
Prescott Valley AZ
Glendale AZ
Dothan south AL

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The Green Bay, Wisconsin Sears store is not listed yet. It is located at a strip mall called Green Bay Plaza. If the Sears closes  at this location, maybe they could gut the interior and turn it into a movie theater.

retailisking

Hudsons81

danfifepsu

retailisking

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 24, 2016, 11:02:10 AM
how many more years do you give Kmart?

It all comes down to how much longer Eddie Lampert can kick the can down the road. Both Kmart and Sears are beyond saving, but Eddie's financial maneuverings have delayed their day of reckoning. Eventually he'll run out of assets to sell and the whole house of cards will collapse; it won't be pretty. I give them another year or two, tops.

TheFugitive

Probably quicker if there is another severe economic downturn.
Ames probably could have held on for a few more years, except that 9-11
happened, giving them a fatally bad Christmas in 2001.  Would not take much
to push Sears-Kmart over the edge at this point.

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 25, 2016, 11:38:43 AM
happened, giving them a fatally bad Christmas in 2001.  Would not take much

Didn't 9/11 also trigger Kmart's bout with bankruptcy within the following two years?

retailisking

Quote from: Hudsons81 on March 25, 2016, 03:25:59 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on March 25, 2016, 11:38:43 AM
happened, giving them a fatally bad Christmas in 2001.  Would not take much

Didn't 9/11 also trigger Kmart's bout with bankruptcy within the following two years?

I would argue that Chuck Conaway's managerial malfeasance was more of a factor than 9/11 in Kmart's bankruptcy. Kmart's neglect of its older stores and supply chain mismanagement were long-term factors as well.
http://newviu.com/?p=174

Zayre88

Sears Holdings: Retailing's Headless Horseman

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markcohen/2016/02/29/sears-holdings-retailings-headless-horseman

Written by Mark A. Cohen, former Sears executive, former CMO and president of softlines, former chairman & CEO of Sears Canada, Lazarus and Bradlees.