Caldor

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

Quote from: d_fife on March 25, 2010, 02:17:38 AM
I know Caldor went out 11 yeras ago, but what really killed it (Well it went bankrupt but why didnt they get out). I heard through google news that 30 years ago they were going to build one in Nashua, , I never found out why but it fell through!

probably was too costly they were gonna open up another store in VA in the mid 90's but it would have drained them so they backed out im sure they did the same with that
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

jmcnamara96

I know Caldor went out 11 yeras ago, but what really killed it (Well it went bankrupt but why didnt they get out). I heard through google news that 30 years ago they were going to build one in Nashua, , I never found out why but it fell through!

Wow i wonder were i wish they did

d_fife

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on March 25, 2010, 02:05:44 PM

Wow i wonder were i wish they did

here it is of Caldor in Nashua and can anyone envision where it would have been based on teh article: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=0p0rAAAAIBAJ&sjid=KvwFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2258,5215635&dq=caldor+nashua&hl=en  and this one in 1981 http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=MqcrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7PwFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4729,1366142&dq=caldor+nashua&hl=en

amesman

I am sure competition, overspending and falling sales are what contributed to their downfall.

d_fife

Quote from: amesman on March 25, 2010, 09:51:24 PM

I am sure competition, overspending and falling sales are what contributed to their downfall.

yah probably but I still wonder why the Nashua store FELL THROUGH. and what do you think was the last straw? I Also heard that their creditors wouldn't agree to a liquidation plan and why was that?

amesman

Store proposals fall through for a number of reasons. Community opposition, corporate decisions, zoning laws, a number of things.

I am sure the final straw was falling sales due to strict competition and not being able to make up their losses. And I wouldn't know why they couldn't come to agreements in the bankruptcy proceedings. These things just happen I guess.

d_fife

Quote from: amesman on March 25, 2010, 11:10:03 PM
Store proposals fall through for a number of reasons. Community opposition, corporate decisions, zoning laws, a number of things.

I am sure the final straw was falling sales due to strict competition and not being able to make up their losses. And I wouldn't know why they couldn't come to agreements in the bankruptcy proceedings. These things just happen I guess.

but what do you think made NAshua's fall through, I mean it looked like it was on its way to being built and this was 30 years ago.

are you surprised Caldor never made it?

amesman

I don't know the exact reasoning behind it. Like I said, that happens for a number of reasons. I wouldn't have any way of knowing.

And looking back, no I am not surprised Caldor didn't make it. They had a lot of corporate/money related problems towards the end. That and competition from Wal-Mart and other big box stores put the nail in the coffin so to speak.

jmcnamara96

Heres some info i found on Caldor
Fiscal Year End:  January 1998
Sales:  2,496.7 (millions)
Employees:  22,000
Address:  20 Glover Avenue
City / State / Zip:  Norwalk, CT 06856
Phone:  203-846-1641
Fax:  203-849-2019
CEO:  Warren D. Feldberg
CFO:  John G. Reen
HR:  Dennis M. Lee

amesguy95

If anybody has a picture of a former Caldor customer service area, that would be cool, because I've got a feeling that the customer service desk in Kmart in Yorktown Heights, NY, hasn't been changed since they moved in.

Caldor1999

Quote from: amesguy95 on May 13, 2010, 07:49:06 PM
If anybody has a picture of a former Caldor customer service area, that would be cool, because I've got a feeling that the customer service desk in Kmart in Yorktown Heights, NY, hasn't been changed since they moved in.

i live near there and i went there when it was a caldor they chaged the outside and most of the inside so i doubt its still there
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesguy95

Quote from: Caldor1999 on May 16, 2010, 02:58:53 AM
Quote from: amesguy95 on May 13, 2010, 07:49:06 PM

i live near there and i went there when it was a caldor they chaged the outside and most of the inside so i doubt its still there
Yeah. I'm in there quite often, was just in there today, and most of the interior has been changed -- but the customer service desk looks quite 80s/90s-ish and doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the store. Could be wrong.

XDeSuEhTX

An interesting coincidence happened within the past week, having to do with Caldor.

For some odd reason, I had a strange dream that I was working inside an 80s Caldor store. It was unusually detailed and rational for a dream, but I really didn't think much of it.

Last week I went to Charleston (capitol city of WV), for their weekly flee market, and noticed that the indoor portion provided shopping carts for customers. They were Caldor carts, brown with the orange logo. I thought that was really strange. Since, to my knowledge, there were no Caldor stores in or near WV.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

d_fife

Quote from: XDeSuEhTX on June 11, 2010, 09:48:24 PM
An interesting coincidence happened within the past week, having to do with Caldor.

For some odd reason, I had a strange dream that I was working inside an 80s Caldor store. It was unusually detailed and rational for a dream, but I really didn't think much of it.

Last week I went to Charleston (capitol city of WV), for their weekly flee market, and noticed that the indoor portion provided shopping carts for customers. They were Caldor carts, brown with the orange logo. I thought that was really strange. Since, to my knowledge, there were no Caldor stores in or near WV.

you are right there wernt!

beachgal26

The closest one to WV would have been in the MD area where I remember seeing a few in the late 80s.

ynkeesfn82

Cool. But you have to wonder how many creepy crawly things have been living in that spot since Caldor closed down 11 years ago.

Caldor1999

caldor weymouth ma November 1990 photo taking by flicker user jimboyle93

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

caldor albany ny feb 1993 taking by flicker user jimboyle93

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Quote from: beachgal26 on August 31, 2010, 02:32:17 AM
The closest one to WV would have been in the MD area where I remember seeing a few in the late 80s.

i believe there was only 1 caldor in WV but it didn't stay open to long by the time they expanded that far the company was already doing poorly
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

unknown caldor location

Caldor Forever!

CTAmeshopper

Wow good pics, If I ever told myself in 1998 that Caldor would be gone in one year I would of laughed at myself in disbelief. I can't believe it's been 11 years since Caldor went out of business. Wow.

Caldor1999

heres a picture of the Kingston NY Caldor taken back in 1984

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

heres some pictures of the Bedford, NH location taken by Mary Cynthia taken in 1990's

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

here are some more photos of the levittion caldor taken by Donna Elayne sometime in 1987/1988 im going by the records shown in this picture

Caldor Forever!

TRJ_22487

Holy hell! Those people are big time victims of their eras! The hair! The styles! Damn!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

standa

I remember seeing stores in Wallingford and Rocky Hill, CT with that look. Wasn't this look used on only a few stores? Was it older or newer than the Castle & Rainbow style. 

Caldor1999

Quote from: standa on May 29, 2011, 08:07:24 AM
I remember seeing stores in Wallingford and Rocky Hill, CT with that look. Wasn't this look used on only a few stores? Was it older or newer than the Castle & Rainbow style. 

few stores built in the late 60's and early 70's had this look to them also guess they used that logo before the rainbow
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

also the rainbow wasn't always brown orange and yellow

and heres a flyer from 1968 caldor in my hometown is on there

Caldor Forever!