square one mall (Former new england shopping center)

Started by d_fife, March 03, 2006, 08:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

the square one mall was once NEw england shopping center. I do not know much abotu the old plaza except it had a Sears and service merchandise. It became the 2 level 1 million square foot Square one mall in fall 1994 iwth a 179,000 sf Filene's, a SEars, service merchandise that was 50,000 sf, a 50,000 sf Lechmere and had 2 levels and got Disney store a year later. the mall has 115 stores.  lechmere closed late 1997 and became tj maxx n more. Service merchandise closed late march 2002 and when I went to the square one mall, it was the day they announced service merchandise was closing. a 30,000 Best buy replaced part of SErvice merchandise in 2002 or 2003. a 70,000 sf dick's sporting goods is being constructed in the mall.

Lastdaysofrain

The New England Shopping Center was great.

It had  Woolworth's, B. Dalton Book Sellers, Brigham's Ice Cream and a Stuart's Department Store. It was L shaped, with Sears (the only original building still standing as it was built into the Mall) as the anchor on one end, Stuart's the middle anchor (I used to go see Santa Claus there as a kid) and Service Merchandise the Anchor on the far end.  

There was also a movie theatre located behind the Stewart's