Main Menu

Sears

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

CambridgeSide Galleria in Cambridge, MA is in the process of closing. It's another one of those unannounced closures. No word on the official closing date. The store was sold for $55 million in August of 2017, and the lease is up next September.

giantsfan2016

Geno and I went to Sears at the Westfield Meriden Square Mall yesterday. We took a tour of the entire store which he did on Facebook live. There was very little customer traffic in the store. Not many employees either. Surprisingly the store seemed well stocked and in good condition.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Brammy on October 11, 2018, 09:45:04 AM
Geno and I went to Sears at the Westfield Meriden Square Mall yesterday. We took a tour of the entire store which he did on Facebook live. There was very little customer traffic in the store. Not many employees either. Surprisingly the store seemed well stocked and in good condition.

I have been going to the Meriden Mall often these past few months and have shopped at Sears. I've been going on the weekends and the store has quite a few customers shopping. Not as busy as other stores, but not dead. I found some nice clothes there. I tried an item pickup via their website because I wanted a size they did not have on the shelf. It was a disaster. Their kiosk was down at the pickup center so I had to go ask a cashier to page someone. It took forever for the person to come to help me and when they finally came, they couldn't find the item. I know now not to go this route anymore, but I didn't want to pay shipping. I was able to get the item shipped to my house and it came a day earlier than expected. The clerks at the Meriden Sears were all friendly and helpful. Sears stores are usually better kept up than Kmart stores. But what I have noticed in the past year or so, the Kmart and Sears stores left are more neat, organized and better stocked in clothing depts. Other depts. are struggling in that aspect.

MikeRa

The Philadelphia area is losing the Sears stores in Bensalem, PA, Langhorne, PA, and Deptford, NJ.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Kmart4life

Finally the dead Sears in Lakeland Square Mall is going to be shuttered during the bankruptcy, it should have closed long before my Kmart.

danfifepsu

I feel what will happen is they have a disasterous Christmas season and thats the last straw. and the last one closes Aprilish.

MikeRa

The only Sears/Kmart that will be left in the Philadelphia area will be at the Moorestown Mall with the closing of the Kmart at Roosevelt Boulevard (US Route 1) south of Cottman Avenue

mixedday

Quote from: MikeRa on November 08, 2018, 04:55:11 PM
The only Sears/Kmart that will be left in the Philadelphia area will be at the Moorestown Mall with the closing of the Kmart at Roosevelt Boulevard (US Route 1) south of Cottman Avenue

Do you mean a Kmart operating nearby a Sears? The Moorestown Kmart closed awhile back.

AmesNewington

Unbelievable about Meriden, CT. Of course I just started shopping there in September. At least I got to go a number of times. It was the closest store left to where I live that was a Sears/Kmart. I did find some nice things there. I was hoping they'd leave Meriden alone, but of course this company just continues to fail. I don't believe they will be around after next year anyway. They are fooling everyone with their hope to emerge from bankruptcy. This is just a band aid to survive the holidays. Why operate in Connecticut if they have so few locations left? Once they announce the closure of Kmart in Vernon, I'm done caring about them. They can finally let it end.

I hope this doesn't hurt the Meriden mall. I really don't see a point coming here now other than maybe Boscovs, but I came for Sears. It would be nice if JCPenney reopened here. Not sure if they are financially sound enough to open new stores. I would like to see one old time department store still around in the next decade. 

retailisking

Hard to imagine a Sears closing in any mall at this point is detrimental. A Kmart closing in a struggling strip mall, on the other hand...

BillyGr

Quote from: mixedday on November 08, 2018, 04:57:08 PM

Do you mean a Kmart operating nearby a Sears? The Moorestown Kmart closed awhile back.

Likely meaning Sears OR Kmart.

EddieJ1984

Quote from: BillyGr on November 09, 2018, 06:19:17 PM

There is also the Willow Grove Park Mall location, which is just 1 floor (was downiszed from 3 to 1 floors a couple of years ago) and Montgomery Mall sears.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on November 10, 2018, 03:19:41 AM
There is also the Willow Grove Park Mall location, which is just 1 floor (was downiszed from 3 to 1 floors a couple of years ago) and Montgomery Mall sears.

Depending on the overall health of the mall being just one floor should make it easier to fill the Sears space when the time comes.

Here in Connecticut Danbury Fair Mall is a very healthy mall. Sears downsized to one floor a couple years ago (Primark took the rest of the space), so when all the remaining Sears stores close the mall should have no trouble filling that space - or reusing the space for other uses like they did after the merger of Filene's and Macy's back 12 years ago. (Danbury Fair was one of only two malls in Connecticut that had both Filene's and Macy's).

I know very little about what retailers are in Danbury (the city as a whole), so I can't even make suggestions as to what may replace Sears at the mall one day. I do know that at the neighboring Danbury Square Shopping Center they have 2 side-by-side spaces that add up to 65,000 square feet that were once Babies R Us and Toys R Us. That shopping Center is anchored by an "L" shaped Christmas Tree Shop and junior anchored by a really small Barnes and Noble (under 14,000 square feet). Here is the lease plan for the Danbury Square. http://www.ubproperties.com/images/properties/65/brochure.pdf

mixedday

Sears actually has Exton Square Mall, Willow Grove Mall, Granite Run (freestanding, but in an outdoor mixed use; mall was demolished), Concord Mall (Northern Delaware), Montgomery Mall and Oxford Valley Mall.  Along with Moorestown Mall in NJ, it as Sears (not Kmart) has decent enough coverage in the Philly suburbs still, even after the latest list of closures.

Interestingly, it's JCPenney that is more difficult to get to in SE PA with only Montgomery and Oxford Valley left. If JCPenney was in better shape, it should assume a few of these Sears sites when Sears closes, maybe resuming coverage in Granite Run where it once had a store and pursuing Concord Mall in DE, improving some coverage in the southwest side of Philly. But, JCPenney is in poor shape to open new stores and likely it won't be different next year. macy's, Boscov's, Burlington and Kohl's are still competitors and more likely to stick around the Philly market. Probably at Exton, PREIT might consider demolishing the Sears and downsizing enclosed mall space. Apparently that mall has too much vacancy and opportunity for redevelopment improves when an anchor is out of the way.

mixedday

The Moorestown, NJ Sears (which is not closing now) has three levels, but only the first main level has mall entrance and parking lot entrance. The upper level has electronics and mattresses and the basement level has hardware and fitness equipment, but neither can be reached directly from the enclosed part of the mall or a parking lot.

Is this common? Which other Sears locations have these basement levels with no mall entrance and no parking lot entrance?

When this Sears closes, PREIT will likely have a hard time finding a replacement store that is willing to operate at all three levels, especially the basement level. The demolition route makes most sense, but in B malls like this, often the mall owner is looking for the easiest path forward for replacement.

MikeRa

I meant the Moorestown Mall Sears location

MikeRa

Quote from: mixedday on November 10, 2018, 12:46:54 PM

Sears actually has Exton Square Mall, Willow Grove Mall, Granite Run (freestanding, but in an outdoor mixed use; mall was demolished), Concord Mall (Northern Delaware), Montgomery Mall and Oxford Valley Mall.  Along with Moorestown Mall in NJ, it as Sears (not Kmart) has decent enough coverage in the Philly suburbs still, even after the latest list of closures.

Interestingly, it's JCPenney that is more difficult to get to in SE PA with only Montgomery and Oxford Valley left. If JCPenney was in better shape, it should assume a few of these Sears sites when Sears closes, maybe resuming coverage in Granite Run where it once had a store and pursuing Concord Mall in DE, improving some coverage in the southwest side of Philly. But, JCPenney is in poor shape to open new stores and likely it won't be different next year. macy's, Boscov's, Burlington and Kohl's are still competitors and more likely to stick around the Philly market. Probably at Exton, PREIT might consider demolishing the Sears and downsizing enclosed mall space. Apparently that mall has too much vacancy and opportunity for redevelopment improves when an anchor is out of the way.
Oxford Valley Mall Sears is closing as well.  They started their liquidiation sale the same time as Neshaminy Mall Sears

BillyGr

Quote from: mixedday on November 10, 2018, 01:36:22 PM
The Moorestown, NJ Sears (which is not closing now) has three levels, but only the first main level has mall entrance and parking lot entrance. The upper level has electronics and mattresses and the basement level has hardware and fitness equipment, but neither can be reached directly from the enclosed part of the mall or a parking lot.

Is this common? Which other Sears locations have these basement levels with no mall entrance and no parking lot entrance?

When this Sears closes, PREIT will likely have a hard time finding a replacement store that is willing to operate at all three levels, especially the basement level. The demolition route makes most sense, but in B malls like this, often the mall owner is looking for the easiest path forward for replacement.

There was at least one (not Sears) store like that in a mall here - the mall itself was only 1 story, but this store (which dated back to when said mall was an open air strip plaza before it was added onto and made a mall) was two stories.  Thus the only access to the 2nd floor was inside the store.

That mall has since been demolished, but it seems possible that an elevator/escalator could be added within the mall itself just outside the store space (or on the exterior of the building) to allow access to the other levels separate from the main floor?

buzz86us

Wow looks like Sears has completely left my local area with the amount of the closing of the Saratoga springs store

mixedday

Quote from: MikeRa on November 10, 2018, 08:14:26 PM
Quote from: mixedday on November 10, 2018, 12:46:54 PM

Oxford Valley Mall Sears is closing as well.  They started their liquidiation sale the same time as Neshaminy Mall Sears

Correct.
That leaves:
-Exton Square
-Granite Run
-Willow Grove
-Montgomery
-Moorestown (NJ)
-Concord (DE)

As a single level store, does the Willow Grove store carry a limited selection? I recall in Columbia MD, the downsized Sears had a very limited apparel section. Well, I plan on checking a few malls again. I also want to check out Berkshire Mall (Berks County) which lost Bon Ton and is losing Sears.

mixedday

Quote from: BillyGr on November 11, 2018, 07:02:39 PM
Quote from: mixedday on November 10, 2018, 01:36:22 PM

There was at least one (not Sears) store like that in a mall here - the mall itself was only 1 story, but this store (which dated back to when said mall was an open air strip plaza before it was added onto and made a mall) was two stories.  Thus the only access to the 2nd floor was inside the store.

That mall has since been demolished, but it seems possible that an elevator/escalator could be added within the mall itself just outside the store space (or on the exterior of the building) to allow access to the other levels separate from the main floor?

The rest of the Moorestown mall is all single level. (Technically, Boscov's anchor on the other side has a small second level, similar with no parking lot or mall entrance).

giantsfan2016

Went to the not-closing Sears at the Buckland Hills Mall in Manchester, Connecticut today. Nice looking store No employees to ask where the Men's room was.  >:(

AmesNewington

I went to the Meriden Sears store closing sale yesterday. I hadn't gone there since before the sale started and got whatever I wanted. Glad I did. The store was trashed. I assume this is how GOB sales are during the holidays with so much traffic and they don't bother straightening things out. The clothing was all over the floor and thrown on tables. Everyone bought up all the good stuff. I did find a few short sleeve shirts for summer and bought a few other things. Sales ranged from 20-60% off. All I remember is the Kmart GOB sale in Cromwell was a bit more organized. They rearranged everything periodically. The clothing was mixed in displays but I don't remember things all over the floor. It was sad to see the store that way and all I could think of was how stupid Eddie Lampert was to let an iconic name like Sears go down the way it is.

giantsfan2016

Don't forget it's a few days before XMAS, so most stores are a bit "trashed" this time of year. 

AmesNewington

Quote from: Brammy on December 21, 2018, 08:07:28 AM
Don't forget it's a few days before XMAS, so most stores are a bit "trashed" this time of year. 

That's what I said.

danfifepsu

Sears in Mall of America is closing! OK its a lucrative and busy busy mall, I Feel it closed due to the value of the property.

Kmart will have no stores in 13 states after this wave. Kmart seems to be becoming more of a regional chain.