Sears

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
sears in the king of prussia mall in pa

king of prussia

d_fife

sears in phillipsburg nj in the mall taht opened in 1989.

d_fife

sears in phillipsburg nj in the mall taht opened in 1989.

phillipsburgh

d_fife

sears essentials in bethlehem pa

XISMZERO

sears essentials in bethlehem pa

Obviously a victim of the merger (a former Kmart).
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

pubdog

Here's a pic of the Sears at 11255 New Hampshire Ave, Silver Spring (White Oak), MD.  I believe it was built in the late 1950's.

pubdog

Another view of the White Oak store

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

XISMZERO

Wow! Will Sears revert back to their original script logo all across the country? That will be quite a positive move for Sears whose declined in notoriety over the decades.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

dmx10101

Ooo.. this mall is right by me. I'm going to go to it on my day off from work and report back here.

QuoteOriginally posted by ameskmart1
New Sears Prototype
http://www.gbj.com/content.cfm?Action=story_detail&StoryID=1903
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

store215

The problem is, Sears creates dozens of new prototypes, but most never make it nationwide (ex. Sears Essentials/Grand)

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
The problem is, Sears creates dozens of new prototypes, but most never make it nationwide (ex. Sears Essentials/Grand)

True, I have yet to see a Essentials or Grand, close to where I live now or where I lived before in Jacksonville.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by ameskmart1
New Sears Prototype
http://www.gbj.com/content.cfm?Action=story_detail&StoryID=1903

well I went to this Sears today and I am happy to report it is even better than what the story said. It was completely
different from any Sears I've ever been too. It had alot of unique things to it. I took some pictures of the outside and inside, I couldn't get many inside for several reasons- 1 it was very busy, 2 there were a lot of employees standing around, 3 there were a lot of security cameras watching me, 4 the store is so open that it made it had t not be seen. Anyways here are the pics and the narrative of what I saw-

This a a outside shot of the lit up Sears sign, I took this when I was leaving. They obviously decided not to update the outside sign

This is a outside shot I took when I got there, no remodeling was done on the exterior.

T
his is a close up of the broken door, this mall the store's in is not the best area, so my guess is someone tried to break in to the store.

This is a shot of the upper level of the store. The blue facade with the white Sears sign is not painted on the wall, is actually a cloth overhang, that's about the best way I can describe it.

Here is the best shot I got. This is where one of the bigger changes is. This is the upper level, in the middle of the floor there is this big round customer service area, wich is in the background, they'll answer questions, they have a refrigerated case with sandwiches and drinks. they also if you can see in the background a hot chocolate/coffee dispenser. Then around on the side which is where this pic was taken is the general store where they sell individual wrapped candies in the big jars in the pic, and they have other merchandise to make it look like a old time general store. You can see in the front of the pic the wooden barrels with the old look Sears logo, those barrels are used in different areas of the store to display specials and whatnot.

This pic is a little blurry  because I had to hurry up and take it. In the front of the pic is the table top stuff for sale. If you look in the background to the far leftg you'll see some computers. That area is the back of the customer service circle I was taking aout in the previous pic, there they have about 8 computer stations set up where you can sit and browse the internet. Next to that they have tables and chair where you can sit and eat the food you bought.

There was a lot of stuff I didnt get pictures of that I wanted to. So I explain the rest of the store look. The store was designed in a lot of white and blue, with alot of white paint wood. Each department in the store had a sign hanging above it telling what it was, They were white painted wood look signs. The electroncs deprtment was expanded, they had severl aisles of movies and video games. The automotive department was almost its ow store it was off by the mens department. The automotive section had a very expanded selection of merchandise. All of the specialty services (photo,vision salon, and other services were all in there own special area together.   All throughout the store they have display for stuff thats sold in other parts of the store. Its really cool and the throwback look to go with the store. For example in the mens clothing department they have a display with a couple of fitness machines and a tv with a workout video playing and some other fitness related items, another display in the mens department was for yard stuff like a lawnmower and gloves, etc. They have these display all throughout the store for differentt products. The registers are by the entrances. They have a small toy department in the store complete with Kmart brand toys! The store has a huge Lands End deartment in the middle of the lower level. They store is laid outto where it's got a  central path around the whole store. There arent many tall fixutres or wall so you can see all across the store. In the clothes department they make use of a lot of table and less racks. All in all it was a very cool sotre, just sad I couldnt get more pics, maybe I can when I go back sometime.

Update..This ad was in todays (Sunday) paper, it's for the new Sears.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Caldor1999

it still looks the same as any outehr sears to me only thing i found diffrenm tis that this store has a diffrnet lay out they still sell the sam eold crap they always had dosent look liek a dept store to me if they wanna try to have  a real nice lay out they should do what JC Penny and Kohls do have tehre store layed out liek that then sears would look like a nice store
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
it still looks the same as any outehr sears to me only thing i found diffrenm tis that this store has a diffrnet lay out they still sell the sam eold crap they always had dosent look liek a dept store to me if they wanna try to have  a real nice lay out they should do what JC Penny and Kohls do have tehre store layed out liek that then sears would look like a nice store

I'm not even going to comment on this because no matter what Sears does, it will never change your opinion of Sears.

ANYWAYS.

I am very impressed with what I saw in the photos. I know the Sears near me underwent a Remodel a few years ago, so I don't expect any changes soon, but I would like to see something like that happen here. I did notice that the Mall Entrance Sign was dark, perhaps some Fancy overhead lights shining on Sears would brighten it up a lot. Perhaps they weren't complete with that yet. Great photos, too bad you weren't able to get all of the shots that you wanted to. I know how that goes. Thanks!!

XISMZERO

Looks more bright, and improved to me in regard that it looks more exuberant and vital. I would stroll into Sears more often if more of their stores looked more like this and starting selling more trendy clothing (kind of like Target). Like Target, maybe they can pick up some fashion artists to hone in on younger crowds.

Meanwhile, it looks like Gwinnett Place Mall could use a renovation itself. And there's no excuse for that lazy exterior - points off for presentation there.

In the end, I really think it's going to take a while before the Sears name is commonplace with our current generation in terms of trendy clothes. Until then, it's just flat, boring, aimless mediocre middle-aged attire.

Again, I'm thinking positive - this is a promising direction for a store, like JCPenney, that need a serious cosmetic overhaul and more focused target audience. Trends can't live in those dark places of past. I hope to see this prototype gain footing - even that might take a good decade to convert most stores.

Nice pictures of the store, dmx.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt

I'm not even going to comment on this because no matter what Sears does, it will never change your opinion of Sears.

ANYWAYS.

I am very impressed with what I saw in the photos. I know the Sears near me underwent a Remodel a few years ago, so I don't expect any changes soon, but I would like to see something like that happen here. I did notice that the Mall Entrance Sign was dark, perhaps some Fancy overhead lights shining on Sears would brighten it up a lot. Perhaps they weren't complete with that yet. Great photos, too bad you weren't able to get all of the shots that you wanted to. I know how that goes. Thanks!!

im not saying its bad its nice compact for sears but it looks nothing like a dept store and they lay out dose not look to much diffrent it kida reminds me or what montgomery ward did trying to redue there stores stearing away form a dept store look and trying to be liek wal mart or target in which case that did not work for mountgomery ward and look what happend to them

i think sears could bennafit form trying to be more like kohls or JC Penny try to go for that style for there stores maby go for that look i dont liek how all there stores have a white look to them maby adding some color and some carpiting to more sections of there stores then that would make sears look liek a real dept store thats what they need in my opinion thats how i think sears would do better in my opinion
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

dmx10101

I work at Kohl's and trust me this Sears beats the look of any Kohl's. Most all Kohl's with the exception of the ones opened in the past couple of months look cheap and are very plain and basic. This Sears was bright, open, relaxing and inviting with new ideas not seen in other department stores.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
I work at Kohl's and trust me this Sears beats the look of any Kohl's. Most all Kohl's with the exception of the ones opened in the past couple of months look cheap and are very plain and basic. This Sears was bright, open, relaxing and inviting with new ideas not seen in other department stores.

That's the key: New Ideas. I like that Bright Look to it to be honest. From the photos you have shown, it does appear to be very Inviting. Suggesting that the store is looking to do more for the Customer, and not just looking for the Mighty Buck.

I don't know if all JC Penneys are like this, but for the one near me is Very Cramped. Very Little walking area, and racks are close to each other. Doesn't make me dislike the store, but I can't see why Sears would want to Mimic that approach.

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt

ANYWAYS.

im not saying its bad its nice compact for sears but it looks nothing like a dept store and they lay out dose not look to much diffrent it kida reminds me or what montgomery ward did trying to redue there stores stearing away form a dept store look and trying to be liek wal mart or target in which case that did not work for mountgomery ward and look what happend to them

i think sears could bennafit form trying to be more like kohls or JC Penny try to go for that style for there stores maby go for that look i dont liek how all there stores have a white look to them maby adding some color and some carpiting to more sections of there stores then that would make sears look liek a real dept store thats what they need in my opinion thats how i think sears would do better in my opinion

One thing, Montgomery Ward was in NO WAY ever trying to be like Wal-Mart. And, secondly, Sears is in no way worse than Kohl's. Kohl's has the department store look down cheap. I think Sears is doing well with this new design, and I hope to see it in other locations as well.

XISMZERO

Here's a Sears Essentials in Nashua, New Hampshire. This was definitely a former K-Mart. Taken 2-11-2007.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's a Sears Essentials in Nashua, New Hampshire. There seems to be a few converts in New Hampshire. Taken 2-11-2007.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Sears Essentials; Nashua, NH. Check out this left over "Garden" sign from an old K-Mart era.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Here's a Sears Essentials in Nashua, New Hampshire. This was definitely a former K-Mart. Taken 2-11-2007.

Nice pictures.  I was there in 2005 (picture).  The Sears essentials logo was very small back then, they probably changed it for a larger one!  It was funny to see the old garden sign and "Pharmacy" lettering with the new Sears concept.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Nice pictures.  I was there in 2005 (picture).  The Sears essentials logo was very small back then, they probably changed it for a larger one!  It was funny to see the old garden sign and "Pharmacy" lettering with the new Sears concept.

I knew some of the signage was leftover from Kmart apart the obvious "Garden" sign (thought strangely missing the "Shop" part). I didn't go into the store, assumed it looked just like a Kmart (distressed on the inside, cheaply rebranded). Looks to me like they also repainted the roofline even if the facade was chipping.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

I knew some of the signage was leftover from Kmart apart the obvious "Garden" sign (thought strangely missing the "Shop" part). I didn't go into the store, assumed it looked just like a Kmart (distressed on the inside, cheaply rebranded). Looks to me like they also repainted the roofline even if the facade was chipping.

Inside, no surprise, it looks and feels like a K-mart.  Kenmore appliances and Craftsman tools have a place in the store.  The Kmart pharmacy is the same, the carpet in apparel is new, the garden indoor section was Kmart like...  i was not impressed.

Note the attractive barrier put up to create a garden area in the parking lot:

XISMZERO

Sears Appliance Outlet; West Haven, Connecticut. Taken yesterday (5.14.2007). What a rarity! Check out that old-school logo!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Sears Appliance Outlet; West Haven, Connecticut. Taken yesterday (5.14.2007).

You can see this place right off I-95, Exit 42 in West Haven, CT. I would've taken more photos but there was a police car sitting right around where I took this here shot.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Zayre88

Sears store in LĂ©vis, Quebec Canada.  This store had the 70's Sears logo until 2-3 years ago !

Zayre88

What a rarity! Check out that old-school logo!

Same old-school logo at the Lewiston Mall (maine) store in 2006!