Surprising number of chains closing for Easter

Started by TheFugitive, March 20, 2024, 10:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

I had started a thread here years ago on how Ames was one of the first retail chains to open on Thanksgiving and how that was not appreciated by our associates.

Then the trend reversed itself and we've had postings here about chains formerly open on Thanksgiving deciding to close.

Well now that trend is apparently extending to Easter.

https://www.thestreet.com/retail/tj-maxx-and-marshalls-follow-costco-target-in-closure-announcements

According to the article the list of chains which have decided to close their stores on Easter Sunday this year includes:

• Target
  • Costco
  • Aldi
  • TJ Maxx
  • Marshalls
  • HomeGoods
  • Publix
  • Macy's
  • Best Buy
  • Apple
  • ACE Hardware

If I had to guess as to the reasons for this it has to do with the ongoing labor shortages plaguing retail.  Unlike Ames 33 years ago they are now afraid to anger employees who were so difficult to hire and retain in the first place.  Also since most people are spending time with family on Easter foot traffic will likely be down, meaning that the savings on payroll and utilities may outweigh the lost sales in many of these cases.

BillyGr

Not to mention the likely number of people upset that they would be open on the holiday. 

Maybe not as much as Thanksgiving (being that is a more secular and national holiday), but I'm sure there would still be some out there.

TheFugitive

Quote from: BillyGr on March 20, 2024, 06:14:37 PMNot to mention the likely number of people upset that they would be open on the holiday. 

Maybe not as much as Thanksgiving (being that is a more secular and national holiday), but I'm sure there would still be some out there.

One of the many criticisms I've made of my former retail employers is that basically in nearly all cases upper management didn't give a damn whether their decisions would upset anybody. It was all about the Benjamins. The tight labor market seems to have forced a revision in their thinking.  A welcome development in my view.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 21, 2024, 09:06:09 AM
Quote from: BillyGr on March 20, 2024, 06:14:37 PMNot to mention the likely number of people upset that they would be open on the holiday. 

One of the many criticisms I've made of my former retail employers is that basically in nearly all cases upper management didn't give a damn whether their decisions would upset anybody. It was all about the Benjamins. The tight labor market seems to have forced a revision in their thinking.  A welcome development in my view.

And possibly also those upset customers who then opt not to shop that store on other days as well.

TheFugitive

Quote from: BillyGr on March 21, 2024, 07:03:48 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on March 21, 2024, 09:06:09 AM

And possibly also those upset customers who then opt not to shop that store on other days as well.

Yes you probably will see a bit of that.  It seems there has been an uptick in customers boycotting retailers for various reasons in recent years.