Dollar Tree/Family Dollar fined for safety violations, given 24 hrs. to fix

Started by TheFugitive, August 24, 2023, 12:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

OSHA has given the combined Family Dollar/Dollar Tree chains 48 hours to fix safety problems like blocked fire exits and boxes that are stacked too high in their stockrooms.  They will be fined $100,000 per day for violations that persist beyond that.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dollar-tree-family-dollar-safety-hazards-stores-storage-blocked-exit-2023-8

I was our store's OSHA safety officer at Hills so I understand the importance of these issues.  You frequently see violations in the retail industry due to a lack of training, management pursuing other priorities, or just flat-out being cheap.

When I was an hourly associate at David Weis we had metal stockroom ladders on which various welds had broken.  The ladders would wobble up and down as you went to get merchandise from upper shelves.  It was dangerous.  But no matter how much we complained it seemed they were just too cheap to go out and hire a welder to fix them.

Crazybangles

This has always been a massive problem at my local Dollar General stores as well. I'm surprised nothing has been done about this at that level.