Main Menu

Frndly TV app

Started by TheFugitive, October 28, 2022, 12:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Mrs. Fugitive is a big fan of the Hallmark Christmas movies.  Last Spring one of their executives left for the Great American Family Channel and took Candace Cameron-Bure and some of their more well-known stars with him.  She of course wanted to get this channel but it was not available on our cable system.  I started looking around and found you could get it on the Frndly streaming app, which is promoting itself at $6.99 per month.

That's actually a bit of a come-on as $6.99 is the standard def price, and few people watch anything in SD anymore.  You have to go up to $8.99 for the HD feed, but it's still a pretty good bargain. For that you get about 40 channels including a number of basic cable staples like A&E, INSP, FYI, History, and a couple of flavors of Hallmark, as well as national feeds of diginets like MeTV, H&I, Movies! and Decades (in addition to both Great American channels and BYU TV, which carries a number of sports broadcasts of their teams).

Frndly has some cool features like it's own DVR and the ability to join any program live or start it from the beginning.  Plus if a show has run anytime in the last 72 hours and you missed it you can scroll back to watch it, even if you did not record it in your DVR.  All in all I'd have to say we're getting our nine bucks worth.  If you are really strapped and on a budget this seems like a good low-cost alternative to basic cable (or to receiving diginets that you can get maybe sometimes thanks to the inconsistencies of ATSC 1.0 digital broadcasting).