Macy's closing 125 stores, cutting 2,000 corporate jobs

Started by retailisking, February 04, 2020, 05:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

The department store giant will shutter underperforming locations in weak malls over the next three years and mothball their downtown Cincinnati HQ. There is no list of stores yet due to ongoing evaluation of their portfolio.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/02/04/macys-store-closures-125-locations-closing/4659187002/

mixedday

My guesses in the Philly region, from most likely to least:

-Exton Mall macy's. Too close to the King of Prussia macy's/bloomingdale's combination and KoP mall already pulls from Exton in general.

-Oxford Valley macy's. Close enough to Quakerbridge on one side, and Willow Grove Park on another. Mall in general used to be stronger, but seems to be passed over by Simon.

-Hamilton macy's. This would be upsetting as Hamilton Mall lost Sears and JCPenney already. macy's is the only department store although Boscov's is in the former Shore Mall. macy's leaving would essentially kill off Atlantic County's only mall, and the nearest macy's would be some 40 miles away.

Brammy

I think if any more in Connecticut close it will be the one at the Brass Mill Mall in Waterbury. Why? Because Waterbury that's why. If that one closes the last traditional department store left will be JCP. However the mall also has a Burlington along with the discount junk store Shopper's World in it.
The Real Brammy

esw01407

Wyoming Valley Mall...don't like that stores odds.

Agree with Exton Square Mall.

danfifepsu

What ones are at risk of closing? I Am worried for these malls. I hope these Macy's are warned to shape up or close!