Is this a sign Pier One is closing a location?

Started by Brammy, December 14, 2019, 05:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brammy

My Mom is on Pier One's email list. She got an email about a sale that says "30% Off Holiday Decor. Bristol, Connecticut Location Only. 594 Farmington Avenue." To me usually when a company gives a specific location that says "This location only" in their ad it means they will be closing.
The Real Brammy

standa

My local store in Hamden, CT is closing too, and has a similar sale. If you go to their store locator you can see which stores have a storewide sale. I believe those are all locations closing soon.

TRU7536

So when I went on their website, only certain locations had "Storewide sale" listed next to them. Like others, it seems those are the locations closing. Maybe leases are expiring and they are renewing.

Evergreen Walk
Avon
Bristol
Hamden
Danbury
Norwalk

jaredski09

Pretty sure the South Burlington, Vermont Pier 1 Imports is closing. They have the typical liquidation signs in every window of the store with “Storewide Sale- Everything on Sale Up to 30% Off”. None of the liquidation signs say “Store Closing” though. I know the Children’s Place store in the mall across the road from Pier 1 had the same liquidation signs saying the same thing but without any “store closing” signs last year, and the store DID end up closing. We’ll see what happens!

TRU7536

Quote from: TRU7536 on December 21, 2019, 02:58:11 PM
So when I went on their website, only certain locations had "Storewide sale" listed next to them. Like others, it seems those are the locations closing. Maybe leases are expiring and they are renewing.

Evergreen Walk
Avon
Bristol
Hamden
Danbury
Norwalk

I guess these stores are confirmed to have closed, they are no longer listed on their website.

retailisking

Augusta, ME has disappeared from the store locator, too. As an aside, in its early years Pier 1 was a franchise operation, and many of the pioneering entrepreneurs struck out on their own. The Portsmouth, NH location rebranded as Adobe. They, too, have closed.
https://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20191130/portsmouths-abode-closing-after-36-years

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on January 11, 2020, 10:10:57 AM
Augusta, ME has disappeared from the store locator, too. As an aside, in its early years Pier 1 was a franchise operation, and many of the pioneering entrepreneurs struck out on their own. The Portsmouth, NH location rebranded as Adobe. They, too, have closed.
https://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20191130/portsmouths-abode-closing-after-36-years

And even perhaps more considering that the original Pier 1 stores started as franchises of another brand (Cost Plus, which at the time was a single store at the end of the cable car line on Fisherman's Wharf).
The owners of that store bought too much stuff and couldn't finance it all, so Tandy (of the leather company and later Radio Shack fame) helped them out by funding their purchases, and in return got the rights to set up other stores under their name.  Then he decided to go to being a separate company, which resulted in the name change to Pier 1.

TRU7536

Here is the list of Pier One closing stores, the six I mentioned before are confirmed on the list for CT

https://www.businessinsider.com/pier-1-closing-stores-list-2020-1