Main Menu

PlutoTV

Started by TheFugitive, August 14, 2019, 01:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

I was playing around with the Roku one of my kids bought me and I discovered
PlutoTV.  It's an app with a number of live streaming channels which are organized
in a schedule grid, just like your cable listings.

They have movies on there, divided by different genres.  News, sports, various types of shows.
There is one channel that is 24-hour reruns of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (a show that I
always got yelled at for watching in the early days of my marriage  ::) ).  Reality shows and
documentary channels, one devoted to British TV.  Even SpongeBob.

It seems to me at least as good as some of the crappier cable packages, and its free!

1240east

ive used it before its good only problem is sometimes the channels dont stream properly so you just get a black screen but besides that it works well

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: 1240east on August 14, 2019, 02:21:56 PM
ive used it before its good only problem is sometimes the channels dont stream properly so you just get a black screen but besides that it works well

That likely depends on the reliability and quality of your Internet Connection.

1240east

Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on August 14, 2019, 05:26:57 PM

i have a very good internet connection it was just when their servers got busy i just had to restart my browser to fix it but another problem was some of the tv shows would never load no matter what i did it would always be a black screen

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: 1240east on August 14, 2019, 06:05:51 PM
Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on August 14, 2019, 05:26:57 PM

i have a very good internet connection it was just when their servers got busy i just had to restart my browser to fix it but another problem was some of the tv shows would never load no matter what i did it would always be a black screen

Then maybe Pluto TV should invest money to increase their server and bandwidth capacity which I think they should since they are gaining more and more viewers the way everything is going.

TheFugitive

I see that they were recently acquired by Viacom, so perhaps some investments
and upgrades are on the horizon.

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: TheFugitive on August 15, 2019, 09:06:51 AM
I see that they were recently acquired by Viacom, so perhaps some investments
and upgrades are on the horizon.

Pluto TV has seen some real notable upgrades to it's channel offerings since Viacom had taken over which consist of.

1. - Multiple channels based on Viacom's Cable Channels including a resurrection of the Spike name (Since Spike TV was renamed Paramount Network back in January 2018).
2. - Addition of channels dedicated to Food, Weddings, Drama as well as a Channel called Pluto TV Movies.
3. - Pluto TV expanding it's availability to Xfinity X1 Cable Boxes.
4. - The addition of Channels dedicated to Dora the Explorer ans the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise, Midsomer Murders, River Monsters, Doctor Who and Antiques Roadshow (Licensed from the BBC).
5. - The addition of Pluto TV Latino consisting of multiple channels catering to Latin Americans.
6. - The expansion of Pluto TV to global markets (In addition to being already available in the UK, Germany and Austria).
7. - Adding three MTV based Music Video Channels.

This is along with adding Eleven Sports Network, Young Turks Network and Channels featuring content from CNN and CONtv.

With the pending re-merger of Viacom and CBS (Undoing the 2006 Split-up) expect Pluto TV to add content from CBS in the future.

TheFugitive

I had the Eleven Sports Network on DirecTV.
Something is seriously wrong with their scheduling.

I'd tune in to watch Hockey from Russia and they'd be showing drone racing.
I'd tune in to watch minor league baseball and they'd be showing eSports.

In other words the program actually airing was not the one shown in the guide.

deerwrecker2017

This video that I had uploaded describes the actual Experiences (Along with actual Opinions) as well as a Review of Pluto TV if everyone here does want to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwoOs7vVzJI