Sears/Kmart Remaining Locations

Started by AmesNewington, April 22, 2019, 05:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

I'm wondering the reasoning behind Sears and Kmart's remaining locations in certain areas. Why do both chains have only one or two locations left in a given state? In Connecticut for example, both Sears and Kmart each had 6 or 7 locations a year or two ago, and now Sears only has 2 department stores left and Kmart has 1. Why would Kmart especially only keep 1 location left (small and old store in a town in the middle of nowhere)? I'm glad of the fact there is still one around me, but does this mean that either no one else was interested in the property or do they have a vested interest in staying in CT if they ever decide to re-expand if they ever became profitable again under the new company? I'm confused.

TheFugitive

I am in Pittsburgh. 

The last Kmart store operating in this area is in Leechburg, PA, about 30 miles to the northeast.

The last Sears is at the Washington Crown Center Mall, in Washington, PA, 25 miles to the south.

Both far removed from the bulk of the population here.  I don't get it either.

BillyGr

Could be that if they are far enough from other stores they do OK in sales simply due to lack of other options in those areas?

Or it could just be dumb luck (based on how they were, for a time, closing stores as leases expired, it might just be that those locations leases were the ones not running out).

AmesNewington

Quote from: BillyGr on April 23, 2019, 11:17:51 AM
Could be that if they are far enough from other stores they do OK in sales simply due to lack of other options in those areas?

Or it could just be dumb luck (based on how they were, for a time, closing stores as leases expired, it might just be that those locations leases were the ones not running out).

I'm just wondering why since they closed all but 1 of the Kmarts and 2 of the Sears, why they didn't just exit the state. But since they didn't, I wonder if they still see the state as a place they want to stay long term if they don't fail this time around. The Watertown store was busy last time I went. The Manchester Sears gets its share of customers too. The Vernon Kmart was oddly enough a part of the original 505 stores not closing but for sale. This company baffles me. But I want them to have a chance.