DirecTV Subscribers are about to the lose the Viacom networks...

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), March 21, 2019, 04:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

...if a new deal is not reached.

* Nickelodeon
* Teen Nick
* Nicktoons
* Nick Jr.
* MTV
* Paramount Network (formerly Spike)
* BET
* VH1
* CMT

...and many others.

mixedday

DirecTV's monthly charges are very high, and it being related by ownership by Turner/Time Warner (competitor to Viacom) adds another complicated layer.

On the other hand, I think Viacom spreads limited content over way too many channels:
BET
BET Gospel
BET Her
BET Jams
BET Soul
CMT
CMT Music
Comedy Central
logo
MTV
MTV Classic
MTV Live
MTV2
mtvU
Nick Jr
Nick Toons
Nickelodeon
NickMusic
Paramount Network
Teen Nick
TV Land
VH1

It could condense those to about 4 channels, as most of these channels air repeats and marathon block programming. I'm sure it is making carriers carry multiple channels and charging more than what it would if it operated about 4 channels.

For me, the best show it has to offer is The Daily Show on Comedy Central.

Dish Network's Flex Pack at $37.99/mo is a good value, and it has a number of Viacom channels, and other popular channels:
https://www.mydish.com/flex-pack

Philo's $20/month package has the Logo channel. Logo is kind of nice for classic TV shows.

I'm hoping Viacom's purchase of Pluto TV results in Viacom channels being available maybe for $5/month or certain shows in the free channels.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: mixedday on March 22, 2019, 03:00:20 PM
DirecTV's monthly charges are very high, and it being related by ownership by Turner/Time Warner (competitor to Viacom) adds another complicated layer.
Time Warner is now called WarnerMedia.

giantsfan2016

Viacom is still in negotiations with DirecTV and thus the networks remain on DirecTV.

mixedday

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 23, 2019, 06:13:08 AM
Quote from: mixedday on March 22, 2019, 03:00:20 PM
Time Warner is now called WarnerMedia.

And it's a subsidiary to AT&T that owns DirecTV.