Kuhn's Supermarket remodel

Started by TheFugitive, March 06, 2019, 03:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Kuhn's is a nine-supermarket chain in the Pittsburgh area that is owned by the Dentici family.
The one that I am most familiar with is located in the Banksville Plaza Shopping Center in a location
that was formerly a Kroger's before that chain pulled out of town in 1985.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuhn%27s_Quality_Foods

That Banksville store has had the exact same layout, with apparently the exact same fixtures,
ever since I moved back to Pittsburgh in the 1990's.  I have been able to shop that store by memory
as everything was in the exact same location where I had been finding it for the past 25 years.

Until last night.  Went in to buy a few things and a MAJOR remodel was underway. 
Basically it looks like it is going to be an entirely new store inside.  I found this very frustrating
as it took me an hour to wander around and find stuff on my list that would have taken less than
twenty minutes previously.

I guess the upside is that from the look of things the Denticis are investing a good bit of
money in the place, so they are planning to stick around for awhile.  Looks like they are getting all
new produce, freezer and refrigerator cases (in black....something of a trend I see in supermarkets
that frankly kind of bugs me)

It also looked like a space at the front of the store that was originally a video rental shop
and then a pharmacy is being gutted for some new use.  Exactly what is not quite clear,
but here in Pennsylvania we are slowly, tentatively, starting to enter the 20th Century by
allowing beer and wine to be sold in supermarkets.

So perhaps that will be the place.