The Alliance of American Football

Started by TheFugitive, February 11, 2019, 04:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

This is the new Spring football league which started play on Saturday.
I had seen a lot of Spring football previously with the USFL and the XFL,
mainly because I'm not much of a basketball fan.

Things I like about it include a 35 second running play clock, which keeps the
game moving along at a nice pace.  You don't see any of these ridiculous end zone
celebrations because after scoring they have just 35 seconds to get back in formation
for the extra points (this league forces you to go for 2).

I like that the referees don't call near as many penalties, so there is a good flow to
the game.  And when there is a replay challenge they let you listen in to the discussion
between the booth official and the referee so you can at least have some understanding
as to why they made the call that they did.

And a lot of good stories there.  There is a kid on one of the rosters who played high-school basketball here in Pittsburgh and then played for a small college.  Has never played football till now!  And the quarterback in Birmingham was a star high-school bowler who had won a bowling scholarship to Oklahoma, but decided he would rather play football.  He taught himself how by watching YouTube videos!  Went to a D-II school, took them to the playoffs, and here he is.

Things I dislike about AAF are that there are no kickoffs, supposedly to reduce concussions.  The ball is just put in play from the 25 yard line.  I don't really get this, as they still punt, and you are just as likely to have your head taken off during a punt return as during a kickoff.  It doesn't seem like football without the kickoff.

Also they have microphones on absolutely everybody, to the point it gets rather distracting.  The announcer on one of the games had to apologize for a quarterback who kept spitting out F-bombs.

And a lot of the uniforms are butt-ugly.  San Diego and Arizona in particular really assault your eyeballs.  And the officials' uniforms are the worst.  Like they are wearing a windbreaker that is two sizes too small over a striped referee's shirt.

Every player in the AAF makes the exact same salary.  However, they can collect bonuses by playing well (score a touchdown, recover a fumble or block a field goal, get a bonus).  Also they can get bonuses by doing good work in the community like visiting hospitals.

TheFugitive

Eight weeks into a ten game season, and already the Eastern Conference playoff positions are locked down.

So you have to wonder if anyone will be showing up at games in Atlanta or Memphis.

There is some chatter (much of it coming from their key investor) that the league might fold before the remaining games are even played.

And the Championship Game has been moved from McCarran Stadium in Las Vegas to the Dallas Cowboys' practice facility in Plano, Texas, which seats 12,000.

Meaning that they are worried about selling enough tickets to make a good showing on television.

A 12,000 seat practice facility? Seriously??

TheFugitive

annnnnndd…...it's over

The AAF has suspended operations with two weeks left to go in the season.
There will be no playoffs and no championship game.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/02/the-aaf-will-suspend-all-football-operations/

Internal disputes between their major investor and other parties, as well as a failure to agree on a player development contract with the NFL, are cited as reasons.