Walmart to expand toy departments

Started by giantsfan2016, September 01, 2018, 12:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

With the demise of Toys R Us Walmart has announced that they will be expanding the toy department at select stores across the country. Also new features of the toy department will include demos.

https://clark.com/news/walmart-store-changes-2018/

esw01407

They can't even keep it stocked, they might want to try that first.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I hope Shopko, Meijer and Target expand theirs in the future in response to the changing U.S. retail environment...

mixedday

The Best Buy near me now has a couple of aisles dedicated to toys.

JSIDA17

Dedicated toy stores have gone down the toilet and this is the result. Sad since I always went to KB Toys in the mall as a kid.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: JSIDA17 on September 01, 2018, 08:03:25 PM
Dedicated toy stores have gone down the toilet and this is the result. Sad since I always went to KB Toys in the mall as a kid.
I pretty much have to agree with you. While there are a few toy store chains left in Canada (Toys "R" Us and Mastermind Toys), there are none that come to mind in the United States. Most toy stores in the United States are family-owned independent operations that deal in toys that are outside the mainstream audience. At least, I heard FAO Schwarz may be coming back, as well as KB Toys.

BillyGr

Also appears that one of the chains that runs those Halloween stores that usually pop up this time of year is doing a similar set-up with toys.

That actually makes some sense, since they can earn the profit from sales during the season where toys are most popular (fall into Christmas time) while not having to pay for the stores the rest of the year.