Create-a-Card

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), August 17, 2018, 02:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Does anybody remember those Create-a-Card kiosks that used to be found at discount stores in the 1990s? Those kiosks allowed people to create personalized greeting cards with licensed cartoon characters, etc. for any occasion including birthdays, etc. using a computer built into the kiosk.

retailfan

Yes i do remember them. I believe the concept kinda died when digital cameras and printing came along. I remember you could even do it at home with Software from American Greetings but its been forever since i have seen any mention of them. The walmart I worked at had one. they wanted to move it into the one hour photo lab  but  the DM over division 31 fought to keep it out.  of course a year later  the Kodak printing machine would arrive and that was the kinda the begining of the end for  film photography. I wonder what happened to all of the old Fuji printers and film developers  there were over 1000 1 hour photo labs  just with Walmart.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailfan on August 24, 2018, 07:15:56 PM
Yes i do remember them. I believe the concept kinda died when digital cameras and printing came along. I remember you could even do it at home with Software from American Greetings but its been forever since i have seen any mention of them. The walmart I worked at had one. they wanted to move it into the one hour photo lab  but  the DM over division 31 fought to keep it out.  of course a year later  the Kodak printing machine would arrive and that was the kinda the begining of the end for  film photography. I wonder what happened to all of the old Fuji printers and film developers  there were over 1000 1 hour photo labs  just with Walmart.

They don't still do prints?  Other stores that once had the one hour film developing now just do prints from digital sources (either by bringing in the camera/card/device or by uploading the photos from home and sending them electronically to a store).

TheFugitive

These were the ones where a software controlled arm actually
drew your card with a series of markers, correct?

Those were pretty cool.  I recall buying several cards from them.

busman_49

I forgot about those!  They were pretty fun to watch.