Shop "n" Save

Started by storehistoryguy, July 06, 2005, 12:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

Discuss. It was a supermarket chain.

store215

They are still around and there are many different companies using the Shop n Save name.

The ones in the Philadelphia area and suburbs were operated by Supervalu, which still opperates Shop n Save stores in Pittsburgh and elsewhere. There is also another Shop n Save chain in the New England states, which is not connected to any other chain.(And shouldn't this be in the grocery forum?)

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
There is also another Shop n Save chain in the New England states, which is not connected to any other chain.(And shouldn't this be in the grocery forum?)

Actually, the Shop n Saves found in Maine (and a couple in our area of NY, plus others I'm sure) are half connected to Hannaford.  Let me explain.

At one time all the stores here were called Shop n Save (they had several other names in other parts of the country - I remember a Sun Foods, it seems like Martin's (Vermont??) and a couple others I don't remember).  It was decided to rename them all Hannaford for easier stock and whatever (plus they ran into other Shop n Save in new markets I believe) - However, some in Maine stayed Shop n Save (I know of the one in Bar Harbor, probably others as well).  Later on, Hannaford started supplying a local store (Millers in West Sand Lake) and later the name was changed to Millers Shop n Save.  

So, it appears that any stores using the Shop n Save name (in New England/NY anyway) are still independently owned, but supplied by Hannaford (rather than IGA, SuperValu etc.).

coolbabes

I liked the shop and save in Plymouth, NH when it was a little guy. I think it was in the late 80's/early 90's they renovated it and made almost warehouse-like when you first walk in and updated the rest of the store as well.
It's Hannaford's now anyway so when I'm in the area I like to do my grocery shopping at Bob's Sure-fine.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by coolbabes
I liked the shop and save in Plymouth, NH when it was a little guy. I think it was in the late 80's/early 90's they renovated it and made almost warehouse-like when you first walk in and updated the rest of the store as well.
It's Hannaford's now anyway so when I'm in the area I like to do my grocery shopping at Bob's Sure-fine.

where are you from?!!!! This shop and save is in my town, plymouth NH!!! I remember it being remodeled in late 1991 and it got new departments then. it was food town before. The store was half the size it is now before it was remodeled

coolbabes

I'm from mass but my family has timesharing at cold springs in Ashland, NH twice a year.  The shop and save is our first stop after we'd unpack and stock up for the week. it's a pretty view over the landscape in the morning too from the parking lot.
I remember the Ames in that plaza of course, I think the true value went out too.
What is going on with that plaza? I think everything besides Hannafor'ds was closed last tiem I was up there, summer '05
I just love the simplicity of bob's sure fine in ashland though.  I always think abotu how nice it woudl be to liev up theer and be able to do all my food shopping there.

Anonymous

PALOOZA68
ALL THE SHOP N SAVES IN MAINE WERE BOUGHT OUT BY THE HANNAFORD CHAIN.:no:

Zayre88

Shop'n save supermarkets were owned by Hannaford but some were locally owned.  All company Shop'n save markets were renamed Hannaford and many were expanded or renovated during that period.

I also think that stores using the Shop'n Save name (in New England/NY) are still independently owned, but supplied by Hannaford like Bud's Shop'n save in Newport and many other elsewhere.

Then there is the other Shop'n save that are linked to Supervalu and other "Shop & Save" like the former Derby VT store.

d_fife

newport maine and has the remodeled shop n save look

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

newport

d_fife

newport

sign of newport

d_fife

newport

sign of newport

sign of newport

d_fife

pittsfield me and hannaford chain sold that one and newport

d_fife

rumford ME old shop n save that was 27,000 sq.ft. and moved in 1993 to downtown

d_fife

old 29,000 sq.ft. skowhegan one that moved in 1996 or 1995.

d_fife

32,000 sq.ft. shop n save in houlton me (hananford sold it and the ones above millinocket)

d_fife

32,000 sq.ft. shop n save in houlton me (hananford sold it and the ones above millinocket)

houlton

d_fife

d_fife

presque isle me one and it is 40,000 sq.ft.

d_fife

presque isle me one and it is 40,000 sq.ft.

sign presque isle

d_fife

shop n save caribou maine in downtown and hannaford sold

d_fife

caribou

d_fife

caribou

caribou sign

d_fife

the old shop in save in madawaska me in the old ames / zayre plaza and it was closed in winter 1996, then bought out the paradis on main st in town.

d_fife

the paradis iga merged with the shop n save in madawaska me not far from downtown.

d_fife

the paradis iga merged with the shop n save in madawaska me not far from downtown.

madawaska me

d_fife

madawaska me

madawaska me

d_fife

shop n save fort kent me

the paradis iga merged with the shop n save not far from dowtown and teh shop n save closed in winter 1996 with madawaska.

d_fife

former shop n save in dover-foxcroft me in the old ames plaza.

d_fife

current shop n save in downtown dover-foxcroft me