Main Menu

Roseanne - cancelled

Started by giantsfan2016, June 02, 2018, 02:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

By now you all know ABC has cancelled the Roseanne reboot because of the racist comments Roseanne Barr made on Twitter. (One of the top brass at ABC is a black woman on top of that). Not only that but Viacom which owned the rights to the reruns of the orignal Roseanne shows pulled the show off their 4 networks that aired the show - CMT, Paramount Network, Logo, and TVLAND. DigitNet LAFF and Hulu has pulled the reruns as well. The only thing I will say about this is that they cancelled Roseanne over her racists tweets, but they keep The View on when those hens have said things that are alot worse than those racists comments Roseanne made on Twitter. It's a double standard on ABC's part.

Now there are talks of retooling the Roseanne show and bringing it back with without Roseanne Barr and her character. It's an interesting idea.

NBC did this in the 80s with a sitcom called Valerie's Family. Valerie Harper left the show after one season in a pay disputer. They retooled the show and killed off Valeriey's character and renamed it Hogan Family. I guess it was pretty successful.

ABC kept "8 Simple Rules" on the air for a few more seasons after start John Ritter died suddenlty, but it really wasn't that successful.

CBS brought in Ashton Kutcher for "Two and a Half Men" after they fired Charlie Sheen. They got a few more miles of the show, but it my opinion it should've been canceled. The show to me went down hill after Charlie Sheen was fired. (Not to mention I'm not a fan of Ashton Kutcher).

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Laff replaced the reruns of Roseanne with Grace Under Fire not long after news broke of Roseanne Barr and her racist Tweet on her Twitter account. People need to watch what they say on Twitter or any other online platform, because it could come back to haunt them.

BillyGr

Does seem it could work redone, just looking at the number of things that were out there in this (short) season.

Darlene with the new job, Becky possibly looking at college and something off of that, the new kids (and them doing some of the same, or similar, types of things that their parents did in the original, plus the possibilities of things they get into or involved in with their particular traits) and who knows what else they could spin out of it.

retailfan

the catch with  continuing the show is Rosanne owns the rights  so therefore ABC would still have to pay her for the show.  My guess is another network  most likely fox might pick up the show. Im hoping it does come back  because the reboot was really good  funny but also touched base on things that middle class america is going through. health care costs  single parent family's etc .  time will tell  but its sad that ABC chose to cancel the show putting the entire cast out to pasture over one persons remarks.

They pulled the reruns of Roseanne (1988-1997 version) from the Laff digital subchannel, and temporaily replaced them with Grace Under Fire. Home Improvement, starring Tim Allen and Richard Karn, is coming to take Roseanne's place on Laff later this month.

NJxxJon

JN

giantsfan2016

Quote from: ShopKoFan on June 03, 2018, 10:10:03 PM
They pulled the reruns of Roseanne (1988-1997 version) from the Laff digital subchannel, and temporaily replaced them with Grace Under Fire. Home Improvement, starring Tim Allen and Richard Karn, is coming to take Roseanne's place on Laff later this month.

CMT began showing Home Improvement today (with Season 7). Today it's on 1:44PM-4:56PM. Gotta love Viacom Time.

Seemingly the new line-up on CMT is Full House, Reba, and Home Improvement 10AM-5PMish. This replaces the new lineup that went into effect 3 weeks ago which was Roseanne, Full House, and Reba 10AM-5PM.

After they pulled Roseanne last week it was Full House and Reba 10AM-5PM.

Paraount Network also had a new line-up that went into effect 3 weeks ago. It was 2 1/2 Men 10-1, Roseanne 1PM-4PM, and Mom 4PM-7PM. As of Wednesday of last week when they pulled the plug on Roseanne it's now Bar Resuce 10AM-1PM, 2 1/2 Men 1PM-4PM, and Mom 4PM-7PM.

mixedday

It's fine that ABC dealt with Roseanne in a cancellation,  but wonder how long the rerun ban will exist still for the original series on Laff, TV Land/CMT/Paramount. It's kind of like she is being permanently grounded, but maybe it's still too soon. I hope that it appears again on cable and/or Laff. It will probably never appear again on Logo.

Yet on TV One, owned by Urban One (an African American business) it still airs The Cosby Show. There is really no comparison to Roseanne's actions to Bill Cosby's actions, but Cosby gets to keep visibility.

giantsfan2016

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think reruns of Roseanne would be pulled from TV. Even though I have seen every episode dozens of times (outside of Season 9 - most of those episodes sucked), I would still DVR episodes if I wasn't going to be home to watch them. I never thought to keep the episodes on the DVR because I thought the episodes would always be there on TV. While I didn't watch the whole thing I miss the  12 or 14 hour marathon of the show TVLAND used to air every Saturday morning 4AMish-4PM (depending on the week). I also only have Season 1 on DVD. I never thought to buy the other seasons on DVD back when I was still working - mainly because I thought they would always be on TV. Did retailers such as Walmart at Target pull sales of the DVDs?

I'm not defending what Ms. Barr said. It was in appropriate. She's also bats.h.i.t crazy. In one of her rants on her YouTube Channel she said "I thought the bitch was white". That being said however, they showed a clip on the news of the woman she made the remarks about from an appearance on The View and she does look white.

mixedday

TV Land ran a marathon of Roseanne reruns earlier today, although I don't see it as a regular staple again on the schedule.

giantsfan2016

Roseanne reruns are back. CMT is airing the show again Monday-Friday 9AM-Noon Eastern as of Monday October 1st. TVLAND is airing the show again Satudays 4AM-2PM.

Brammy's thoughts: While I don't condone what Roseanne tweeted, as someone who has made several mistakes in his own life I think almost every deserves multiple chances. (There are some exceptions).

As for the Roseanne reboot? A second spin-off that Roseanne will not be in or financially compensated for called The Conner's premieres on Tuesday October 16th on ABC.

AmesNewington

The whole incident that happened in May was unfortunate, all over a social media mistake on Roseanne's part. I hate the reboot idea without her. They could have very well kept things in tact. Maybe have Roseanne be absent during Season 11 and come back when things simmered down. Since THE CONNER'S is happening, they should include Season 10 of ROSEANNE in THE CONNERS if it does well. But since I hear they kill Roseanne off, I guess it doesn't matter because they won't bring her back.

mixedday

Quote from: Brammy on October 07, 2018, 11:18:21 AM

Brammy's thoughts: While I don't condone what Roseanne tweeted, as someone who has made several mistakes in his own life I think almost every deserves multiple chances. (There are some exceptions).

I agree. But what's your thoughts on TV One airing The Cosby Show still? I looked at TV One's schedule, Oct. 9, 2018, and on the schedule, between 8-11pm primetime, is The Cosby Show. Seems like the network is either in denial of today's times and/or supporter of Cosby.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: mixedday on October 07, 2018, 10:52:13 PM
I agree. But what's your thoughts on TV One airing The Cosby Show still? I looked at TV One's schedule, Oct. 9, 2018, and on the schedule, between 8-11pm primetime, is The Cosby Show. Seems like the network is either in denial of today's times and/or supporter of Cosby.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. TV One is in a different DIRECTV Package than the one we subscribe too, so I'm not familiar with their schedule. TV One is the only African American owned cable network that targets an African American audience since BET was sold to Viacom (MTV, TVLAND, etc) many many years ago. Viacom's TVLAND and CENTRIC (now BET HER) were the cable nets airing Cosby at the time the scandal broke. I think digi-net Bounce had also aired the show briefly.

Roseanne reruns no longer air on Laff. The time slot which the Roseanne reruns used to air now belongs to Home Improvement reruns.

TheFugitive

Executives at ABC are apparently already convinced that The Connors
(the revived Roseanne series without Roseanne) is destined to flop.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6261259/ABC-fears-Conners-flop-without-Roseanne-Barr.html

Here's a pull quote:

The network fears they have upset viewers by firing Barr and that fans will not watch The Conners out of loyalty to the actress.

'When we greenlit The Conners we thought that the public would tune in to see the family return but what we've discovered is that people want Roseanne - they don't want the family by themselves,' a second source said.

AmesNewington

Again, the biggest mistake they ever made was killing off Roseanne. They could have continued ROSEANNE Season 11 without Roseanne and brought her back mid-season. She could have had a setback from her knee surgery or had a non-fatal overdose of opioids and went to rehab. These executives didn't think this through at all. It was just all about firing her for a comment she made.

mixedday

Well, ABC should have either 1. cancelled it outright, never looked back, or 2. Not kill off Roseanne Connor but left the possibility she could return mid-season, as mentioned. But knowing Roseanne Barr, she would have gotten back on twitter and repeated her activities.

Regarding the casting, I was dissapointed in Becky and DJ last season. While I enjoyed Lecy as Becky in Season 1-5 when she was a kid and liked her better than Sarah Chalke, her acting as an adult is underwhelming. And I thought Becky was supposed to be somewhat book smart? It'd seem Sarah Chalke (through her acting on Scrubs and other projects) could have been a better fit as a more seasoned actress. And Laurie Metcalf was impressive in the original 'Roseanne' in the early seasons, 'Lady Bird' and HBO's 'Getting On' but it remains to be seen if she can be impressive again as Jackie.

Shows are cancelled all the time, so I'm surprised it was kept just as a job saving measure.