Most Bizarre song I played as a Club DJ

Started by giantsfan2016, April 14, 2018, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

I DJ'd at a club in Wolcott, Connecticut for a year. They had switched from being strictly Country to a mix of Country and Top 40 (which also included Hip-Hop and Spanish Hip-Hop). One night we were having a 90s-themed party. Normally before the party started at 8:30PM we'd play a CD of music on a loop, but that night I was playing random 90s music. The waitress. I can't remember her first name, but her last name was Garcia. She came up to the DJ booth and hands me a CD. There's no track listings on it. She made it with LimeWire. (Any of you all remember that software?). She says "Play Track 9, it's a great 90s song." So I put it on. The opening beat was cool, but then when I heard the lyrics I was laughing and horrified at the same time. Track 9 was a song about the size of the male anatomy.   ;D Needless to say that song didn't make the cut when the party officially got under way.  >:D

TheFugitive

Well I'm guessing you did not play that song during your radio days.   ;D

One of my kids got heavily into music pirating while she was in high-school.
I remember screaming at her when I saw LimeWire on her machine.  I told her
to get it off of there, that she was leaving a wide-open door to every Russian hacker
on the planet.

About a week ago a local radio station played Timothy by The Buoys.
For the uninitiated, that is a song about cannibalism.  It was written by Rupert
Holmes, best known for the Pina Colada Song.  He was managing The Buoys,
a band from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.  His idea was to deliberately record
a song that would get banned form the radio in order to generate buzz about the group.

Since The Buoys were a one-hit wonder that strategy in hindsight was suspect.