Main Menu

New AT&T Logo for 2016

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), March 24, 2016, 03:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

AT&T just updated their logo. Gone is the 3D effect of the of previous logo, and the blue stripes/white highlights are in the right place again just like in the original Saul Bass "Death Star" logos used in 1983 and 1998. (Marbles are so 2005!) Another reason for the change of the AT&T logo is that they've expanded into Mexico with the purchases of Iusacell and Nextel Mexico, as well as their DirecTV acquisition here in the United States.

DirecTV logo with AT&T globe:

Chuck E. Cheese

As a graphic designer I love that everrry company went from flat to glassy and then back to flat. I guess whatever is on your computer screen is the new standard..lol

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on March 24, 2016, 07:14:56 PM
As a graphic designer I love that everrry company went from flat to glassy and then back to flat. I guess whatever is on your computer screen is the new standard..lol
...Just like how purple, pink, and turquoise were used in a lot of 1990s logos. KMGH-TV ABC 7 of Denver, Colorado, Duckwall-ALCO discount stores, and Taco Bell restaurants come to mind when I think of those colors.

The 2005 AT&T logo was created immediately after SBC merged with the old AT&T. The globe's bar colors were then inverted and the globe made to look 3D, making it look like more like a layered marble.

Hudsons81

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 24, 2016, 08:33:11 PM
...Just like how purple, pink, and turquoise were used in a lot of 1990s logos. KMGH-TV ABC 7 of Denver, Colorado, Duckwall-ALCO discount stores, and Taco Bell restaurants come to mind when I think of those colors.

Also, a combination of those exact three colors were everywhere, here where I am, on WXYZ's news opens and promos that decade, as well as to a lesser extent WDIV.

The origin of AT&T's death star logo.

The American Bell logo from 1982 is where the AT&T globe logo originated. When AT&T was forced to divest their operations in 1983, AT&T was not allowed to use the bell logo and Bell trademark (except in association with Bell Laboratories), AT&T used the globe (a.k.a. the "death star") which originated with the short-lived AT&T subsidiary American Bell Advanced Information Systems:

BillyGr

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 28, 2016, 03:39:44 PM

The American Bell logo from 1982 is where the AT&T globe logo originated. When AT&T started was forced to divesting their operations in 1983, AT&T was not allowed to use the bell logo and Bell trademark (except in association with Bell Laboratories), AT&T used the globe (a.k.a. the "death star") which originated with the short-lived AT&T subsidiary American Bell Advanced Information Systems:

Just fixing that for accuracy (since they had no choice in it, it was a court decision) :).  And of course one notes that it has returned to basically two companies after being force-split into 8, so not quite all back into one but not so far off either.

Quote from: BillyGr on March 28, 2016, 03:54:08 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 28, 2016, 03:39:44 PM

The American Bell logo from 1982 is where the AT&T globe logo originated. When AT&T started was forced to divesting their operations in 1983, AT&T was not allowed to use the bell logo and Bell trademark (except in association with Bell Laboratories), AT&T used the globe (a.k.a. the "death star") which originated with the short-lived AT&T subsidiary American Bell Advanced Information Systems:

Just fixing that for accuracy (since they had no choice in it, it was a court decision) :).  And of course one notes that it has returned to basically two companies after being force-split into 8, so not quite all back into one but not so far off either.
Fixed.