New Gallup poll ranks Connecticut dead last in job creation

Started by TheFugitive, February 13, 2015, 08:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

I know many of you on this board live in Connecticut, and have talked about your
struggles in finding employment.

Obviously you are not alone.

http://wtnh.com/2015/02/12/new-gallup-poll-ranks-connecticut-dead-last-in-job-creation/

Here's hoping things turn up in the Nutmeg State soon.

ynkeesfn82

There are a lot of job issues all over the place. Not just Connecticut. Most it comes from companies with stupid requirements.

A sales job requiring a College Degree.

Positions for Waitstaff requiring 4 or 5 years experience. I remember when people used to get jobs as waiters or waitresses while in high school.

Companies not willing to train you. - Last year I went to a hiring event for a new Dollar Tree store. The lady who interviewed me told me "It's good that I have cashiering experience, but  we can not hire you because you have no experience stocking shelves." ---- Really? I may have ever had to stock shelves as part of any of my retail jobs, but how hard can it be? I know several people who stock shelves at grocery stores and other stores such as Walmart - and it's not that difficult to do. It's not like you need a "Stocking Shelves Degree" from a college. One of my friends who stocks shelves told what he does. - Old Product goes in front. New product goes in the back. He removes damaged merchandise from the shelf and straightens the products out.  Is that really a hard thing to do? - I don't think so.

TheFugitive

Sorry you had that experience.  What a totally bogus excuse!   >:(

Only time I ever heard of such a distinction being made between stocking shelves
and ringing on register was when I was a kid working at a Shop & Save grocery
store (the union contract actually drew a strict line between the two)

I remember after I graduated from college and was working part-time selling VCR's
in a mall I interviewed with Phar-Mor for a management job.  The guy drove down
from their headquarters in Youngstown, Ohio to interview me at a hotel in Pittsburgh.
He sat me down and proceeded to tell me that I did not have enough experience.

I said "Excuse me, but I am not in the habit of lying on my resume.  The experience that
you see there is exactly the experience that I've had.  So, may I ask, why did you drive
over an hour from Youngstown to come here and interview me?"

He got very quiet.  Did not have an answer apparently.

Then I pointed out to him that their newspaper ad did not specify any particular
level of experience.  That following Sunday they had rewritten the ad.