Office Depot Manchester CT closing

Started by thpdg123, April 03, 2014, 09:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thpdg123

Color me surprised!
Looking for an office supply item, look it up on Office Depot website...told in stock in Manchester CT, drive there and store is being liquidated. Looks like at least a few days based on empty shelves.
I still don't see anything about it on the web and I find it strange that even though the liquidator has the store, stock tracking still seems to be working on the web page.
They don't have another store within 25 miles, so they'll be leaving a Staples store 5 miles away as the only office store in the market. Strange to me!

ynkeesfn82

It's 9.3 miles to their store in Wethersfield. It's 12.65 miles to their store in West Hartford.

BillyGr

Any Office Max in the area(s) also?  Since they merged, it wouldn't be surprirsing if they decided to close overlapping stores in some cases.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on April 03, 2014, 11:53:19 AM
Any Office Max in the area(s) also?  Since they merged, it wouldn't be surprirsing if they decided to close overlapping stores in some cases.

Nope. I think there are only 2 Office Max left in Connecticut - Brass Mill Commons in Waterbury and  one in Brookfield.

retailisking

Office Depot tried twice to operate in Northern New England - first with full-line stores, then with more compact outlets. They failed both times. Office Max has a single location left in our region in Auburn, Maine, which is always empty.

TRU7536

Quote from: thpdg123 on April 03, 2014, 09:14:34 AM
Color me surprised!
Looking for an office supply item, look it up on Office Depot website...told in stock in Manchester CT, drive there and store is being liquidated. Looks like at least a few days based on empty shelves.
I still don't see anything about it on the web and I find it strange that even though the liquidator has the store, stock tracking still seems to be working on the web page.
They don't have another store within 25 miles, so they'll be leaving a Staples store 5 miles away as the only office store in the market. Strange to me!

The office depot in Manchester is in the former office max before it closed. When office depot try to come back in CT after failing the first time over 10 years ago, they took over a lot of former kids r us locations like the one in Manchester. When office max closed, they closed the store in the former kids r us and relocated to the former office max location. I will say it was a dumb move, the kids r us location is in a very busy plaza while the former office max one is kid of not in a busy area and hard to get into if you ask me.