West Manchester Mall - York Pa

Started by zonemad96, February 04, 2014, 05:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zonemad96

The West Manchester Mall in York PA is supposed to be demolished and turned into a $47 million dollar outdoor plaza. Despite the York Galleria built in 89  the West Manchester kept chugging along until around the 2000's. In 01-02 Walmart had to close a whole wing of the mall to turn their store into a super center which left vacancy's that were never refilled add to that changing demographics and you have yourself a shell of what was once the mall to go to in York. This mall played a role in the death of 3 other malls located in York PA, North Mall, York Mall, and Delco Plaza Mall all of which suffered the fate of being turned into shopping centers. The official mall closing date is not yet know but it's believed to close sometime the end of this month or next month. The youtube link below is video I took of inside the mall showing the few stores left in the mall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejSf402WcAk

d_fife

what???? the last time I went there was in 2006 and the mall wasnt dead.

zonemad96

Quote from: d_fife on February 05, 2014, 12:26:10 AM
what???? the last time I went there was in 2006 and the mall wasnt dead.

From the dead malls website: "Giant moved to the re-constructed Delco Plaza in 2006. Value City closed in 2008 (replaced by Kohl's in 2010 or so). Deb closed in 2009. The Bon-Ton and Friendly's closed in 2010. Finally, FYE closed in 2011"

I think what happened is York Galleria just slowly killed them. Theirs a lot of factors that played a part in it the younger Galleria has 2 story's and a food court, the older West Manchester only 1 and no food court not to mention all the excess of strip malls in the area which means their is plenty of other places for stores to be in York.