Diamond Run Mall (Rutland, VT) sold

Started by retailisking, January 31, 2014, 12:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Based on the anecdotal evidence cited in the comments, I wouldn't rule out de-malling.
http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20140129/THISJUSTIN/140129928

vwnut13

Reading those comments... Jeez, those people must have never been to St. Johnsbury.

The Green Mountain Mall is an absolute joke.  A whopping 10 stores.  JCP, Radio Shack, Maurices, Sears Appliance Center, Olympia Sports, Ocean State Job Lot, Payless Shoes, Yankee One Dollar, Optical Expressions, and a generic Hallmark like store. Oh wait, we can't forget the bar (even I don't understand that one), or the town Chamber of Commerce.

How ironic is it that the Chamber of Commerce is located in a run down mall?

People in Rutland whine about there mall, but judging from their website directory (no idea how up to date it is) that mall could literally change St. Johnsbury,

Hell Kmart alone would change St. Johnsbury.  Really.

vwnut13

Last weekend I went to the Diamond Run Mall.

You know what I think would make it a little better?  If they took down the signage of stores that no longer remain.  The Green Mountain Mall is equally empty (if not more) but it doesn't seem quite so bad.  The store fronts being completely devoid of any remnants of the old stores makes you forget they used to be there.  lol

And I think seeing some of the stores (Victorias Secret, Bath and Body Works, EMS, Old Navy, etc.) really bring out the emptiness, because you don't expect to see those kind of stores in such an empty place.

The Diamond Run Mall is still infinitely better than the Green Mountain Mall.  I'm waiting for the day they tear it down and build something worthwhile.

d_fife

tear what down? And how is the Diamond run mall I last went in there 10 yrs ago.

d_fife

Quote from: vwnut13 on February 09, 2014, 09:52:47 PM
Reading those comments... Jeez, those people must have never been to St. Johnsbury.

The Green Mountain Mall is an absolute joke.  A whopping 10 stores.  JCP, Radio Shack, Maurices, Sears Appliance Center, Olympia Sports, Ocean State Job Lot, Payless Shoes, Yankee One Dollar, Optical Expressions, and a generic Hallmark like store. Oh wait, we can't forget the bar (even I don't understand that one), or the town Chamber of Commerce.

People in Rutland whine about there mall, but judging from their website directory (no idea how up to date it is) that mall could literally change St. Johnsbury,

I went to the ST Johnsbury Mall last year and found it a joke. I went there even 10 yrs ago and it was, I Think thje problem with it is everyone goes to Littleton NH. ST J is the only community I know worth its size without a wAlmart, they tried to put one there and the town said no.

BillyGr

Probably the taxes that cause that (with any of the VT towns near NH).  Most people would be willing to go a few miles into the next state to save some money (given NH's lack of sales tax on most things).

That was even an issue here when NY offered to drop sales tax on clothing - the counties nearest MA jumped on that, figuring they were losing sales to MA, and that was only tax on one category of items, not on just about everything.

Not that this applies to the Rutland side of the state, but certainly to St. Johnsbury (and most likely Brattleboro as well??).

Quote from: d_fife on June 13, 2014, 08:01:07 AM
Quote from: vwnut13 on February 09, 2014, 09:52:47 PM

I went to the ST Johnsbury Mall last year and found it a joke. I went there even 10 yrs ago and it was, I Think thje problem with it is everyone goes to Littleton NH. ST J is the only community I know worth its size without a wAlmart, they tried to put one there and the town said no.