Lowe's closes 20 underperforming stores nationwide

Started by retailisking, October 16, 2011, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

There are many recent Market Baskets that are in the 100,000 square foot and larger class. The MB in Chelsea, MA that opened in 2009 is 135,000 square feet, the Londonderry, NH location that opened last year is 108K, and the one about to open in Manchester, NH is 100K. It's improbable but not impossible (given its exclusivity in Maine) that a store of that size could work here.  And of course Wegmans is all about size at this point, though you have to wonder if enough foodies can be coaxed away from Whole Paycheck or TJ's in Portland's Bayside neighborhood to venture the twenty miles or so to Biddeford. Then again, the unmanageable parking situation around these two stores during peak hours might just create an opportunity. Still, you have to assume Hannaford subdividing the property is the most likely scenario. At least it would assure plenty of foot traffic. Hey, it was fun for a while, wasn't it?

jmcnamara96

Quote from: gu4ever on October 25, 2011, 12:02:55 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on October 25, 2011, 11:42:00 AM
Quote from: gu4ever on October 25, 2011, 01:00:48 AM
There will be a new walmart built on gold street the former auto mile off from south willow street.
It was interesting to see the entire auto mile move from gold st within 10 years to the other side of the 293 highway near the current Walmart.

Where is it on Gold Street?  Is it all approved and ready to go?  Yes I agree that the Walmart area is now auto dealer area.  So what will happen with that Walmart and the Lowe's...?
When I was still  living in Manchester it had been finalized, they are slowly dismantling vacant buildings and dealerships, + I believe a few small businesses might be moving off that street. So next year at this time the new Walmart should be open if everyrthing goes accordingly. The new location will be behind the Hannaford that is on john devine dr.
I was surprised that Walmart spent the money to update it's current location that will close with the newer graphics and shifting departments and new shelving systems too, but I guess they completed that over a year ago and it did need to be freshened up.
The lowes and walmart will remain vacant with no further  plans mentioned at this time.

The planning board denied Walmart to build on Gold St. not to mention a public out cry because the roads so narrow and it wouldn't be possible to widen it funny Walmart spent big money on that Former Assoicated Grocers Building and now its worth far less http://data.visionappraisal.com/ManchesterNH/findpid.asp?iTable=pid&pid=27469 before AG moved tht building had a major reno my father did a lot of work there then about 8 months later they built a new facility and moved crazy it will prob get torn down seeing as its been vacant a long time (tryed goin around the building for pics once i went thru a open gate around back about 2 minutes later a security truck showed up and made me leave so security is tight around the building for some reason)but i do feel Walmart mite try the Lowes Building (still vacant)