Kroger closing all stores in Raleigh Durham market

Started by silvfx66, June 13, 2018, 11:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvfx66

Kroger announced today that all stores in the Raleigh Durham market will shut down by August 14th. I appears Harris Teeter which Kroger also owns will take over many of the locations. Food lion is also picking up at least one location. Kroger has struggled in this market with a crowded field with Harris Teeter, WalMart, Publix, Aldi, Lidl, Food Lion and Target all trying to grab market share.

https://www.wral.com/1-500-expected-to-lose-jobs-as-kroger-closes-all-stores-in-raleigh-durham/17624454/

TheFugitive

I have seen Kroger exit markets when employee unions tried to play hardball with them.
No indications that was the case here though.

retailisking

Quote from: TheFugitive on June 13, 2018, 02:36:14 PM
I have seen Kroger exit markets when employee unions tried to play hardball with them.
No indications that was the case here though.
I'm thinking that having two banners in a market isn't a viable strategy for Kroger. Markets like Charlottesville, VA may meet a similar fate.

silvfx66

Kroger struggled to stand out in the market. I think converting to Harris Teeter will be a winning strategy. They will lose customers who shop strictly for price but gain new ones who like HT. Unless you have a coupon or it's a sale HT is a bit expensive. Overall the stores are generally much nicer and cleaner than Kroger, at least in this market.