Walmart bashing

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kmart4life

It will really mad me angry about the treatment of employees.

Caldor1999

i saw an add for wal mart rectley compairing the frozen pizza they sell to a pizza that you would get at a local pizza place and of coruse they mentioned about how you can save money from going there to get a pizza whitch is frozon compaired to going to a local pizza place whitch is made and not frozon

so not only to they wanna make compatishing with dept stores malls and supermarkets but they also wanna do it with local pizza places at least thats how it seemed to me when i saw it but anyways idk why people would buy food at wal mart i just dont trust a discount store with food i mean i woudent buy it at kmart of target
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Kmart4life

I agree Caldor1999 they are getting cocky with their advertisments. And dI will not buy food from them period!!!

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
i saw an add for wal mart rectley compairing the frozen pizza they sell to a pizza that you would get at a local pizza place and of coruse they mentioned about how you can save money from going there to get a pizza whitch is frozon compaired to going to a local pizza place whitch is made and not frozon

so not only to they wanna make compatishing with dept stores malls and supermarkets but they also wanna do it with local pizza places at least thats how it seemed to me when i saw it but anyways idk why people would buy food at wal mart i just dont trust a discount store with food i mean i woudent buy it at kmart of target

That is so stupid. Frozen pizza tastes like crap and it is incredibly unhealthy, maybe more unhealthy than getting it fresh from a pizza parlor. Whenever I want pizza, i go to a real pizza place and get REAL, fresh, tasty pizza, not some frozen crap.

I HATE WAL-MART SUPERCENTERS! If they're going to kill all the regular stores, they can at least spare the grocery stores!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75

That is so stupid. Frozen pizza tastes like crap and it is incredibly unhealthy, maybe more unhealthy than getting it fresh from a pizza parlor. Whenever I want pizza, i go to a real pizza place and get REAL, fresh, tasty pizza, not some frozen crap.

I HATE WAL-MART SUPERCENTERS! If they're going to kill all the regular stores, they can at least spare the grocery stores!

i just dont understand why they came up with the whole supercenter thing anyway i mean target and kmart alone don't go overbord with the supercenters whitch i think is a good thing but yea idk idd never trust geeting my meat and produce from wal mart its just not the same as going to a&p or stop and shop
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

powersbt

i just dont understand why they came up with the whole supercenter thing anyway i mean target and kmart alone don't go overbord with the supercenters whitch i think is a good thing but yea idk idd never trust geeting my meat and produce from wal mart its just not the same as going to a&p or stop and shop

They do well with their Nonperishable items. That's where the Supercenters tailor their business to.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt

They do well with their Nonperishable items. That's where the Supercenters tailor their business to.

yea thats what though but still your likey to find more of what you like at a supermarket and i woudent mind paying extra for it then going to wal mart i havent been inside a wal mart in over 4 years and i dont plan to go back into one ever again
Caldor Forever!

videogamer75

I get all my meat from a great local family-owned store in my area.

powersbt

yea thats what though but still your likey to find more of what you like at a supermarket and i woudent mind paying extra for it then going to wal mart i havent been inside a wal mart in over 4 years and i dont plan to go back into one ever again

"Congrats". To be honest with you, I find better selection of Nonperishable items at Walmart than I do at my own Supermarket. And the prices are lower....hmmm where do I spend my Paycheck??

Caldor1999

"Congrats". To be honest with you, I find better selection of Nonperishable items at Walmart than I do at my own Supermarket. And the prices are lower....hmmm where do I spend my Paycheck??

well idk i just dont like them as a corperation thats why i dont shop there but im sure you can find more there but idk im happy shopping at target and outher supermarkets
Caldor Forever!

videogamer75

You know I've got something to admit, I do like Wal-Mart to some degree and I realize bashing without knowing too much is stupid. First off, Walmart food is actually decent I must admit, however I will continue to buy at family owned grocery stores. Personally, I don't like any department store super centers and I feel that they need to keep doing what they do best and leave food to the real markets. The thing about it is that Target having cleaner nicer stores, does NOT make them a cleaner or nicer company! Target imports just as much from China as Wal-Mart. Target also refuses to unionize its stores. Target also wants to run everyone else out of business and hold the No. 1 position - what company DOESN'T? Ames wanted to, Caldor wanted to, Bradlees wanted to. That's pretty much why all of them even went into business - to get the green stuff. I guess I just bashed them a little to fit in here, but honestly if they were as bad as some people here say they are they wouldn't be where they are today. One, their merchandise is not all junk. They sell the same Coca-Colas, the same frozen foods, the same video games, the same toys, the same hardware equipment that every other department store sells. Of course, Wal-Mart is not all good, we all know that they import from China and shut down small business and treat their employees badly and even use sweatshops, etc.  There are plenty of good reasons to bash them. But they're not the only ones - Target is just as guilty. A LOT of stores are just as guilty, don't single out one of them just because they happen to be the most profitable. And Wal-Mart is not all bad either, everything has its good sides, and that includes even Wal-Mart. They donate more than any other big corporation out there, just search up ''Wal-Mart donates'' on Google and you'll see what I mean. They employ more people than any other store or company in the whole world. I could go on, but I just wanted to say that Wal-Mart isn't responsible for all that's bad in our economy and they do not deserve to have crap thrown at them when they're not the sole suspect. Wal-Mart worked hard to get where they are today and put in the same amount of effort as Caldor and Target, etc.

captjack

It is the worst, sliced thin, price is high for what you get and no in store butcher. You don't always need 10 of some cut. I still shop across the street at Smiths (Krogers Group) Food King for our groceries.
As far as Walmart killing, Ames Woolco Caldor etc. Take a step back, the large urban stores, Gimbels - Sears - Macy's took out the traveling salesman, local store, catalog sales.
The suburban malls took out the downtown big stores.
The power centers took out many a mall.
The Walmarts of the world survive by providing value to their customers period. Yes over , what 40 years or so, Walmart is dominate but who knows what store or idea may take even walmart out? Maybe Caldor online  or Bradlees textr and deliver service. The future for retailing in America is as clear as mud! Throw in the current uncertain economic times and it is a crap shoot.
Just saying, jack
BTW Happy New Year all

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I despise Walmart because of their unethical practices. I very seldom shop there. I usually shop elsewhere, like ShopKo, Toys "R" Us, Target, and Kmart. Walmart GTFO!

nims57

If you think Wal-Mart is too big or aggressive, there's worse:
CVS (which cannibalized Eckerd, then Sav-on/Osco, and now Longs Drugs)
The Home Depot (which held "funerals" when their early competition closed)
ExxonMobil (which surpassed Wal-Mart as the largest company in the world)
Shell (they swallowed Texaco, ironically as the result of an antitrust settlement)

Caldor1999

You know I've got something to admit, I do like Wal-Mart to some degree and I realize bashing without knowing too much is stupid. First off, Walmart food is actually decent I must admit, however I will continue to buy at family owned grocery stores. Personally, I don't like any department store super centers and I feel that they need to keep doing what they do best and leave food to the real markets. The thing about it is that Target having cleaner nicer stores, does NOT make them a cleaner or nicer company! Target imports just as much from China as Wal-Mart. Target also refuses to unionize its stores. Target also wants to run everyone else out of business and hold the No. 1 position - what company DOESN'T? Ames wanted to, Caldor wanted to, Bradlees wanted to. That's pretty much why all of them even went into business - to get the green stuff. I guess I just bashed them a little to fit in here, but honestly if they were as bad as some people here say they are they wouldn't be where they are today. One, their merchandise is not all junk. They sell the same Coca-Colas, the same frozen foods, the same video games, the same toys, the same hardware equipment that every other department store sells. Of course, Wal-Mart is not all good, we all know that they import from China and shut down small business and treat their employees badly and even use sweatshops, etc.  There are plenty of good reasons to bash them. But they're not the only ones - Target is just as guilty. A LOT of stores are just as guilty, don't single out one of them just because they happen to be the most profitable. And Wal-Mart is not all bad either, everything has its good sides, and that includes even Wal-Mart. They donate more than any other big corporation out there, just search up ''Wal-Mart donates'' on Google and you'll see what I mean. They employ more people than any other store or company in the whole world. I could go on, but I just wanted to say that Wal-Mart isn't responsible for all that's bad in our economy and they do not deserve to have crap thrown at them when they're not the sole suspect. Wal-Mart worked hard to get where they are today and put in the same amount of effort as Caldor and Target, etc.

Target dident really run anyone out of business target dident even have alot of locations in the north east when stores like caldor and bradlees were going out wal mart did

also wal mart has worked hard to get were they are and they did it by distroying companys.... and crushing peoples dreams of opening there own business just me and wal mart treats there empolys like crap hell your better off working for target or kmart aand any corppertation will donate money to a ca\use but thats just to try and make them selfs look good but lets face it wal mart will never have a good repuation no matter what and i will never shop there or by any of the crap they sell
sry to sound so harsh but i just dont like wal mart as do alot of people on this form but yet its your money and you have a right to spend it anywere you would like
Caldor Forever!

Walmart is to blame for all the bad press about their sweatshop laborers in China, and their low wages. Not only that, but a lot of regional retailers (like Ames) tried to compete, and failed miserably, leaving only two regional retailers worth noting left: ShopKo and Meijer. Those two regional retailers, as well as Kmart and Target are the only things standing in Walmart's way. Let's hope nothing bad ever happens to ShopKo, they might be our only hope if Kmart pulls Sears under. Walmart has more screws loose than Home Depot.:insane:

Kmart4life

Walmart is a big joke, the ones in my area cannot even have 2 things at once and you have to go to Target or Kmart to find it or go to 4 other walmarts in the vicinity to find it. They call themselves remodeling our local stores but I call it looking like the inside of a Big Lots with junk piled everywhere. Only one store here is worth going to and they are expanding it to supercenter status, but atleast you can shop and not worry albout all their cheap china made junk scattered everywhere. But even in that store they still have empty product shelves. In Auburndale Fl. that store takes 3 people at once to clean the restrooms without closing it. My wife said that one of the three employees cleaning the women's restroom was a man. Get a grip walmart I doubt you will make it another 10 years. Walmart "Always a hassle always". Long live Kmart & Target!!!:flaming:

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre2
 Long live Kmart & Target!!!:flaming:

Long live ShopKo, too! I hope ShopKo decides to expand out that direction soon, as they might be perfect for those medium-sized communities in Maine, New Hampshire, and other New England states that are in need of more retailers. They would also fill the voids left by Ames, Caldor, Bradlees, Jamesway, and other dead retailers, plus, their moderately upscale award-winning design would be attractive to their newly-acquired customers, as well as their pharmacy and optical services. They also have Payless ShoeSource boutiques and FastCare medical clinics inside their stores. Here's something else ShopKo has that Walmart doesn't: great customer service!

Screw Walmart!!! Long live ShopKo! My life, my style, my store!

nims57

Target dident really run anyone out of business target dident even have alot of locations in the north east when stores like caldor and bradlees were going out wal mart did

also wal mart has worked hard to get were they are and they did it by distroying companys.... and crushing peoples dreams of opening there own business just me and wal mart treats there empolys like crap hell your better off working for target or kmart aand any corppertation will donate money to a ca\use but thats just to try and make them selfs look good but lets face it wal mart will never have a good repuation no matter what and i will never shop there or by any of the crap they sell
sry to sound so harsh but i just dont like wal mart as do alot of people on this form but yet its your money and you have a right to spend it anywere you would like  

Nailed it!

wwefan101

walmart ant  that bad of  a store

Walmart is advertising how people can do things, like make a cheap breakfast. What are they trying to do? Run McDonald's, Burger King, or Wendy's out of business with their low prices? Watching their commercials make me sit up and take notice of the bashing of other businesses, because their prices are higher than Walmart's. What are they trying to do? Kill their competiton, as well as the restaurants?!:huh: If that's what they are doing, shame on Walmart!:flaming:

Down with *beep*ing Walmart!

Up with business, especially mom 'n pop and non-threatening big-box retail (like Shopko or Big Lots), as well as specialty and niche retail.

If the comic book guy (from The Simpsons) were to comment on this, he would say:

"Worst big box retailer...EVER!":mad:

wwefan101

walmart amt trying to run any one out of bunnuse they stoped selling tradeing cards for the card shops

QuoteOriginally posted by wwefan101
 walmart amt trying to run any one out of bunnuse they stoped selling tradeing cards for the card shops
Then why else are there anti-Walmart groups, like "Wake Up Walmart"?

wwefan101

i dont get why pepole hate walmart ther just trying to save evey one money thats all

QuoteOriginally posted by wwefan101
 i dont get why pepole hate walmart ther just trying to save evey one money thats all

reitelle

I hate WalMart as much as the next guy, but if it were not for WalMart; my family would not be able to afford groceries. Supermarkets are outrageously priced and their generic products do not hold up as well as WalMart's. So if someone were to make a supermarket that was as cheap as WalMart (for the name brand foods NOT the generic ones like in Save-A-Lot or HiLo) then people would definitely abandon WalMart. :info:

reitelle

There was only one WalMart and one Target near me in Warren, Rhode Island and by near... I mean 30mins away in Seekonk. No one really liked Target all that much because Target had replaced another store and had a limited selection. WalMart had been there for years and was used moderately in comparison to how much people bought from Ames. Losing Ames in Warren was not only a sadness but also an inconvenience. So, in this case, WalMart is not to blame and if it hadn't been for WalMart all the Ames Patrons would have had to overpay at Target (by the way; Target is still overpriced compared to Walmart). SO IF ANYTHING; TARGET ran stores out of business while WalMart quietly looked on!!!:bum:

QuoteOriginally posted by reitelle

There was only one WalMart and one Target near me in Warren, Rhode Island and by near... I mean 30mins away in Seekonk. No one really liked Target all that much because Target had replaced another store and had a limited selection. WalMart had been there for years and was used moderately in comparison to how much people bought from Ames. Losing Ames in Warren was not only a sadness but also an inconvenience. So, in this case, WalMart is not to blame and if it hadn't been for WalMart all the Ames Patrons would have had to overpay at Target (by the way; Target is still overpriced compared to Walmart). SO IF ANYTHING; TARGET ran stores out of business while WalMart quietly looked on!!!:bum:
Where's your proof? Target would NEVER do that! Target is better than Walmart, the bully from Bentonville, Arkansas. Target has stores in shopping malls, as well as urban areas, with upscale merchandise. Walmart is the one one to blame. Walmart has some of the worst track records, especially when it comes to discrimination, price-fixing, killing off small businesses, sweatshop labor, urban sprawl, and a lot of other issues. At least Target is a member of many organizations, including the United Way. I don't see why anyone could say that Target would run anyone out of business. It just doesn't make sense. I hope Shopko expands into the Atlantic Northeast in the next twenty years to steal piece of the pie from Walmart, especially, the people who used to shop Ames and Zayre. I've been to Shopko hundreds of times, as i currently live in Wisconsin, thinking of how well they would do in areas severely affected by the closings of Hills, Bradlees, Ames, Zayre, Jamesway and Caldor. Shopko changed their image from a generic big-box discounter based out of Packerland to that of a softer department store image that targets middle-income families and women, while offering toys, clothing, shoes, furniture, bedding, housewares, electronics, eyeglasses, medicine, candy, and a small selection of groceries.
Shopko serves mid-sized cities and small towns, as well as suburbs, and would serve as a perfect alternative to Walmart or Target.

I hate WalMart as much as the next guy, but if it were not for WalMart; my family would not be able to afford groceries. Supermarkets are outrageously priced and their generic products do not hold up as well as WalMart's. So if someone were to make a supermarket that was as cheap as WalMart (for the name brand foods NOT the generic ones like in Save-A-Lot or HiLo) then people would definitely abandon WalMart. :info:
I just wish they could get a supermarket out there that would be similar to that of the Wisconsin-based Woodmans Supermarkets, where the groceries come direct from the company in question, without a middle man, thus making the price points lower than Walmart.

kendra

QuoteOriginally posted by ShopKoFan
I just wish they could get a supermarket out there that would be similar to that of the Wisconsin-based Woodmans Supermarkets, where the groceries come direct from the company in question, without a middle man, thus making the price points lower than Walmart.

Woodman's is awesome, I visited their Oak Creek location the last time I was in Wisconsin. I also am really impressed with Sendik's (sorry, that is a bit off topic)!